Bonding shardplate

Turin Turambar

There are already gems on Plate, so probably not. The Plate itself conforms to each person that puts it on, which is probably its equivalent to a Blade's bonding process, only a lot quicker. 

Worth noting is that Radiant Plate can be summoned and dismissed from what we've seen, so there's some different circumstances somewhere. Might be that Plate isn't dead in the same way Blades are so it doesn't need the syncing of heartbeats to bring it back into the Physical Realm.

Edited by Invocation

I suppose you're right - but what makes the difference between the gems inherent in shardplate and shardblade? I think it's possible to replace the gems of shardplate - somebody correct me if I'm wrong - but wouldn't that mean that the radiants didn't need the gems in the first place? My understanding is that it feeds on stormlight to repair itself. Maybe since it always requires stormlight to heal, there never is enough to bond. Sorry if this is a bit rambling.

2 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

I suppose you're right - but what makes the difference between the gems inherent in shardplate and shardblade? I think it's possible to replace the gems of shardplate - somebody correct me if I'm wrong - but wouldn't that mean that the radiants didn't need the gems in the first place? My understanding is that it feeds on stormlight to repair itself. Maybe since it always requires stormlight to heal, there never is enough to bond. Sorry if this is a bit rambling.

Yeah the gems in Shardplate are interchangable. And Shardblades don't require Stormlight to bond.

1 minute ago, Gray to said:

Wait so what was the purpose of the gem in the shardblades again? That conversation in the books always confused me

It apparently facilitates the formation and use of the bond, but the bond is with the deadeye spren itself. If the gem is removed you can't dismiss the Blade, but you don't have to rebond it when the gem is replaced.

12 minutes ago, CrazyRioter said:

It apparently facilitates the formation and use of the bond, but the bond is with the deadeye spren itself. If the gem is removed you can't dismiss the Blade, but you don't have to rebond it when the gem is replaced.

So you always need the gem in the blade right?

Does it have to be infused?

On 2/11/2019 at 4:54 AM, Turin Turambar said:

I suppose you're right - but what makes the difference between the gems inherent in shardplate and shardblade? I think it's possible to replace the gems of shardplate - somebody correct me if I'm wrong - but wouldn't that mean that the radiants didn't need the gems in the first place?

Yes, it would mean that.

On 2/11/2019 at 4:54 AM, Turin Turambar said:

My understanding is that it feeds on stormlight to repair itself. Maybe since it always requires stormlight to heal, there never is enough to bond. Sorry if this is a bit rambling.

It also needs Stormlight to strengthen the wearer. For all we know the gems are simply containers. If you stood outside in a Highstorm, you could presumably use it without gems.

For what it's worth, there does exist a "Lesser" bond with Shardplate:

KiManiak

So, for Shardplate, when Kaladin killed the Shardbearer, which we know is Helaran, in Way of Kings, Amaram remarked that Amaram knew the Shardbearer was dead both because the Shardblade didn't disapper and also because the Shardplate began to fall off of him. And so my question is, is there some type of "lesser" bond between Shardplate and its wearer, like is it in sync with the wearer's lifeforce or--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Firefight San Francisco signing (Jan. 17, 2015)

Also, the gems were added later, just like with Blades:

Bort (paraphrased)

Did Shardplate always have gemstones, or were they added later, after the Recreance?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

They were added, but maybe not just after the Recreance. They were added to Shardplate about the same time that the discovery was made that adding a gemstone to a Shardblade would allow it to be bonded.

Shadows of Self Newcastle UK signing (Oct. 20, 2015)

Edited by Quantus

• Chaos locked this topic