Nightblood and Electrostatic Charge

Walin

I think that Nightblood acts sort of like a black hole/infinite-charge object. When it is introduced to Investiture, it consumes said Investiture beyond the hope of getting it back; in return, it releases vast amounts of energy. Like a black hole, or an object with infinite charge, I think Nightblood produces a field that allows for extremely high potential energies. The Investiture introduced to it then falls through the field, releasing kinetic or Investic energy while it falls, finally reaching an unsee-able ground state.

However, the field can be cancelled out by aluminum, like a Faraday cage blocks an electromagnetic field (this is an intentional misinterpretation of what Faraday cages are; bear with me here).

Because of this, I think Nightblood is like a charged object--it can only use Investiture up until a certain point, at which there is enough captured Investiture such that its field is cancelled out. The charge-theory also means that Nightblood should lose effectiveness as it gains more and more Investiture, until it doesn't produce a field anymore. However, Nightblood is extremely heavily Invested, and has still not reached that point.

I think that Nightblood's limit for capturing Investiture and releasing energy is about the limit of a Shard. With that amount of power, Nightblood could probably reconstruct itself to be able to accept more Investiture, but for right now it's not going to become a new Adonalsium.

TL;DR--Poorly worded psuedoscience to explain that Nightblood can eventually stop working and not absorb Investiture out of everything it touches.

50 minutes ago, shadowwisp said:

Really? I think I might missed something; what part are you referring to that suggests a limit?

It depends what you mean by limit I guess.

Oathbringer Spoilers

Spoiler

But when Dalinar opens the perpendicularity Nightblood is described as having been "slaked" by the Stormlight, at least for the time being. If his capacity to absorb was infinite, he could have absorbed the whole perpendicularity.

I also think there is a hard limit to how much he can absorb due to his size, same as a metalmind, and I doubt it's the size of a shard. Thats speculative though.

Edited by Jace21

On 2/14/2019 at 11:02 PM, Jace21 said:

It depends what you mean by limit I guess.

Oathbringer Spoilers

Hide contents

But when Dalinar opens the perpendicularity Nightblood is described as having been "slaked" by the Stormlight, at least for the time being. If his capacity to absorb was infinite, he could have absorbed the whole perpendicularity.

I also think there is a hard limit to how much he can absorb due to his size, same as a metalmind, and I doubt it's the size of a shard. Thats speculative though.

I don't think we can call that as evidence as a limit to his capacity. I would say that is more indicative of the rate of absorption. That being said, the longer Nightblood is out, the more investiture is drains, possibly exponentially, so it may have been possible if he was just left out longer. 

1 hour ago, shadowwisp said:

I don't think we can call that as evidence as a limit to his capacity. I would say that is more indicative of the rate of absorption. That being said, the longer Nightblood is out, the more investiture is drains, possibly exponentially, so it may have been possible if he was just left out longer. 

Which is why I said it depends what you mean by limit. Though like I said, I believe his capacity is capped well below a shard for other reasons too.