Adolin's grandfather

Timothy

In WoK Adolin mentions that his grandfather had dementia and compares it to what Dalinar is going through with his visions. Considering the poor knowledge Rosharans have about mental health I wonder if this might be important later on. We don't know anything about either of his grandparents, Evi and Toh came alone and I think that Dalinar only ever mentions his parents when talking about his training and traditions. I wonder if Dalinar's father was the oen to receive the visions before Gavilar.

I don't think it it the case, otherwise we would have already been presented with Dalinar's father as a character. But it's not impossible either, so I wouldn't discard the chance yet. Maybe it could have to do with Kholin house being descended from Sadees, who seemed to be in a hurry to "Unite them", by the sword, in his case.

From Oathbringer:

"Gavilar had taught him to shave. Their father had been too busy getting himself cut apart in foolish duels of honor, including the one where he’d taken a blow to the head. He’d never been right after that."

Dalinar's father haven't seen any visions, he had head trauma/brain injury and was suffering with disillusions.

And Dalinar's mother died when he was a kid.

Out of curiosity, do we know anything about Evi's parents, beyond that they had a set of Plate to pass on?  Adolin could have been pointing to similarities without implying it was a genetic thing.  I've known several people that have had personal experience with dementia who start to see that particular shadow in others just as an observational bias, without there being any direct connection.

4 hours ago, MistboreD said:

From Oathbringer:

"Gavilar had taught him to shave. Their father had been too busy getting himself cut apart in foolish duels of honor, including the one where he’d taken a blow to the head. He’d never been right after that."

Dalinar's father haven't seen any visions, he had head trauma/brain injury and was suffering with disillusions.

And Dalinar's mother died when he was a kid.

Well to play devils advocate, didn't people think Dalinar was crazy when he started talking about visions.  Soooooooo, if Dalinar's father was seeing visions, would people consider them delusions?

4 minutes ago, dbulick said:

Well to play devils advocate, didn't people think Dalinar was crazy when he started talking about visions.  Soooooooo, if Dalinar's father was seeing visions, would people consider them delusions?

Sure, but Dalinar's dad had an actual head injury, which is the simplest explanation for 'delusions'.

• Chaos locked this topic