Revived shardblades become what exactly?

beantheboy12

I think it's likely that Adolin will become a radiant some time in book 4. Bonded with his shard blade Mayalaran or whatever her name is.

Anyway, what ideal radiant would he become? A no ideal radiant? First? Equivalent to the radiant who had his shardblade's level?

She could probably be able to be summoned as a shardblade so that suggests at least third ideal. 

Edited by beantheboy12

12 minutes ago, beantheboy12 said:

Anyway, what ideal radiant would he become?

I get the feeling he's end up some kind of Shenanigan Ideal Radiant. On the one hand, he has a Blade. On the other, he doesn't have a spren beyond the Blade until he (probably) gets to the Third Ideal.

Why would having a shardblade mean that you are a radiant? EVEN IF you say that they already have an existing bond (and I think that's the extreme case) then Mayalaran would end the bond because like so many people pointed out, Adolin doesn't really obey the oaths. Yes, I know he doesn't have to. Even so, a nahel bond and a shardblade bond are...what compared to each other? What's their relationship?

On 2/6/2019 at 11:39 AM, Scion of the Mists said:

Azure's blade is very, very different from either living or dead Shardblades.  

both Azure's blade and nightblood were based on shardblades on Roshar, so although they used another magic system to make them, they do have a lot in common with them. Brandon has even called Nightblood a "robot spren"

Personally I think if fully revived Maya would be a normal spren in all ways. I just have a personal theory on how the process would go. I think a bondsmith would need to be involved. 

5 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

Why would having a shardblade mean that you are a radiant? EVEN IF you say that they already have an existing bond (and I think that's the extreme case) then Mayalaran would end the bond because like so many people pointed out, Adolin doesn't really obey the oaths. Yes, I know he doesn't have to. Even so, a nahel bond and a shardblade bond are...what compared to each other? What's their relationship?

It doesn't mean you are a Radiant. I do disagree that Adolin doesn't keep to the oaths to some extent, and I think that's why Maya is showing some signs of life. In order to revive her he'll have to swear the oaths (at least that's my opinion) and thus commit to living by them.

5 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

Why would having a shardblade mean that you are a radiant? EVEN IF you say that they already have an existing bond (and I think that's the extreme case) then Mayalaran would end the bond because like so many people pointed out, Adolin doesn't really obey the oaths.

Take another look at the Edgedancer ideals. Take another look at Adolin. Remembering the forgotten, listening to the ignored? He's doing that, in his own way. Some of his actions may not sit well with a Windrunner or a Skybreaker but we know there are other Orders that would be perfectly okay with things we've seen Adolin do. To borrow a meme, 'Life before Death, Strength before Weakness, Journey before Destination. I do not think that Ideal means what you think it means'.

We do have confirmation via WoB that Maya would likely want to bond Adolin where she alive ... (I have no link to this, I just very frequently see it fly by on Tumblr and I believe I once saw it in another thread).

Be it Maya or not, I really hope we will see a revived spren once.

Edited by Winds Alight

Just because Maya would want to bond with Adolin doesn't mean, that Adolin has it in him to progress. Also, please could the dogpiling stop, whenever someone says something against dear Adolin?

Edited by SLNC

Hello

This is a friendly reminder that if you have an issue with a user's post to please report it to the mods instead of engaging them in the thread. We are opening this thread back up to discuss the topic at hand: revived shardblades. If it devolves again we will shut this thread down permanently.

The Mod Team

On 2/6/2019 at 0:14 AM, beantheboy12 said:

I think it's likely that Adolin will become a radiant some time in book 4. Bonded with his shard blade Mayalaran or whatever her name is.

Anyway, what ideal radiant would he become? A no ideal radiant? First? Equivalent to the radiant who had his shardblade's level?

She could probably be able to be summoned as a shardblade so that suggests at least third ideal. 

What kind of radiant do you think Adolin could become? Is there a version you would like to see him become?

Dustbringer? Yeah, I have thought about that myself, though I can't really tell you why, because Dustbringers are still kinda a mystery to me. It was just a hunch due to destructive tendencies.

Lightweaver though, I never thought about. Could you elaborate why?

8 minutes ago, beantheboy12 said:

Admitting to Sadeas’s murder.

Ah, but Lightweavers have to tell Truths to themselves about themselves. Finding self-awareness to break through the lies is the key for them. Adolin always was very aware about his involvement in the murder, he just hid it from the others.

Edited by SLNC

I also disagree with Lightweaver possibility for Adolin. If you compare him to the two we've seen on screen, he is totally different in mentality, philosophy, ideology...simply admitting a truth--and admitting it at a convenient time that would allow him to get out of something he doesnt want--is hardly Lightweaver material.

Dustbringer is a possibility I have always thought likely, considering his destructive potential and capabilities, along with the fact that the spren of Dustbringers seem to put their Radiants under less moral obligations than some others (such as Windrunners). I imagine Dustbringers wouldnt have had an issue with Sadeass murder as well, given what we've learned from Malata and Spark.

Also, I've mentioned this before, but has anyone considered the possibility that Maya might not be a "normal" cultivationspren if she is restored? We dont know how corrupted spren think/act differently to their normal counterparts. Wouldnt it make an interesting story if Mayas restoration resulted in different ideals than standard Cultivationspren?

I believe we've been told that the Dustbringers would approve of stabbing Sadeas, but I don't really see Adolin as a Dustbringer currently, despite his temper, he's generally too nice to attract a spren that 'likes to break things'.

And I would expect Maya to be a normal cultivationspren if she is revived because I don't really see how she'd end up as anything else. That said, it seems like Syl may be unusual by the standards of younger honorspren due to the newer ones' creation being influenced by different ideas of honor, I wonder if Maya might be a little unusual personality wise compared to modern cultivationspren for the same reason.

As to the lesser moral obligations, that appears to be a Honor vs. Cultivation thing on a spectrum. And it's less about morality than it is just strictures and rules (see the the Skybreakers) 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

In Stormlight Archive, of all the Oaths that you know, which Orders would be the hardest to keep?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

The thing about it is the spren self-select. So if you're going to give them to a random person then in that case, I'd say the Windrunners, but it could be the Skybreakers. One of those guys that are closer up on the dial to Honor and things like that are probably gonna be the harder to take for a random person but that whole self-selection thing ends up making it...

FanX 2018 (Sept. 6, 2018)

For example, Lightweavers don't seem to really have any behavioral guidelines. Shallan can pretty much do whatever the hell she wants as long as she's not... Well, even if she's not facing it. Brandon basically says a Lightweaver has to choose to abandon the first oath. 

Kaladin kind of went back on his Oaths in the second book, right?

Yes. He started down that path.

How could Shallan or Lightweavers go back on the Truths they make? And did Shallan do any of that in Oathbringer?

No, the Cryptics... remember, how the spren is viewing this is very important. The Cryptics have an interesting relationship with truth. Harder to break your Oaths in that direction with a Cryptic. Harder to move forward, also, if you're not facing some of these things and interacting with them in the right way. But, while I can conceive a world that it could happen, it'd be really hard to for a Lightweaver to do some of the stuff. Particularly the ones close to Honor, you're gonna end up with more trouble along those lines, let's say.

So then, what happened with the Lightweavers during the Recreance? Did they break their Oaths?

They did break their Oaths. I mean, breaking your Oaths as in "walking away from the first Oath" will still do it, regardless of what Order you are. You can actively say, "I am breaking my Oaths and walking away." Anyone has that option. But you also are holding the life of a spren in your hand.

The Great American Read: Other Worlds with Brandon Sanderson (Oct. 25, 2018)

Until we know what the dustbringer oaths are, and how Malata fits there, I think it's unfair to assume that they are remarkably less constrained. 

They are on the Cultivation side of things, but on the border next to Skybreakers. 

Edited by Calderis