Darth Woodrack

Walker has been hunting The Jackal and his criminal net for a year. The Jackal has been thwarting his attempts at every turn. Now the Jackal has started building his own inner circle. Walker has now opened his hunt to any who want to join him, but The Jackal is growing just as fast. Walker is hunting, and the Jackal doesn't seem to care. Now, anyone who wants in can be in, and the full might of both sides are crashing against each other.

Welcome to the hunt! You want to hunt criminals? Here you go! The rules are simple! You bring a character onto either side, you need to make a darkside/lightside counterpart to them^. Unless you're a member of the bureau of villainy, or you're following said member of the bureau of villainy. All NPCs stay in this thread, apart from the Precursors. Just note: The odds are very slim we will actually catch the Jackal. I will try to make him appear pretty regularly, but he is a very good fighter. He can probably escape anything we put him in, but hey! That's why we're here!*

*Voidus, please do not get involved, with Voidus Prime. We don't need more gods. Also, by rping in this thread you consent to be arrested, kidnapped, or killed by the Precursors, or the Jackal, as long as the methods employed do not break shard Alleyverse rules. This means that NPCs could do the killing, arresting, or kidnapping, not just characters. This does not allow me to godmod your characters. Just saying your fine with the NPCs. I should have explained this more to begin with.

^This rule will only be enforced if there is a five or more persons majority to either side. If you want you can have someone else create that counterpart, or use one of there characters as it. I have done this with Ark.

Edited by Darth Woodrack

2 hours ago, Darth Woodrack said:

Also, by rping in this thread you consent to be arrested, kidnapped, or killed by the Precursors, or the Jackal, as long as the methods employed do not break shard rules.

So if I involve a character, you can just kill that character?

2 hours ago, Darth Woodrack said:

You bring a character onto either side, you need to make a darkside/lightside counterpart to them.

Do we have to have 2 characters or can we just have 1? I‘d like to participate, but I don’t really want to create another character. 

4 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

Here’s something. 

Ace walked in the slums of Alleycity, sunglasses stopping the setting sun from burning his Savant Enhanced eyes. He was grabbing some files from the the local precursor office. They had some information on a hitman, who’d been involved with James Myriad at some point in the past. 

Walker left the Precursor station. There was a Network shipment that was coming into Alley City tonight, He was looking at the intel, and he walked directly into Ace, "Oh, sorry, you okay?" He said.

@Snipexe

The Jackal looked st the feid he was getting. A network agent was quitely filming the outside of the Precursor station, "Eric. I need you to go with the Network shipment tonight. Walker will be there. Try not to get your self beaten up this time."

"Don't worry boss, I used super glue this time!" Eric said.

"your and idiot," The Alchemist came over with a welding torch and fused the two sides of the metal minds.

As Ace walked up to station, a man looking at some files walked out and ran directly into him.

“Oh, sorry, you okay?” The man asked

“Fine.” Ace responded, and as he got up he looked at the man. “I haven’t seen you at this station before, are you new?”

Edited by Snipexe

"I'm not new to the Precursors if that's what your asking. I'm leading the anti Jackal taskforce. I normally operate out of the Citadel over station, but I needed these files," Walker said, holding up the fieles.

Is Ace a Precursor? If he is, I should add you to the pm. It is literally jsut to keep track on who has Precursor character sand to inform them of any new directives and rules we have. And to pick leaders.

@Snipexe

Edited by Darth Woodrack

He is not, he was just a member of the police force before the precursors replaced them, and still has many connections to those who transitioned into the precursors.

"Anti-Jackal force you say? You wouldn't happen to talking about the mercenary and vigilante known as the Jackal?"

"Hey Melody," Walker said, smiling, "How you been, since the party that I was just at? Well, random person, I hope you fifd what your looking for. I need to go scouting. I'll be back here at 7:00 tonight if you want to help. Melody, come on" Walker began to walk away.

@Snipexe @Blessing of Potency

7:00 tonight in real life, is tomorrow.

As the walked Walker spoke to Melody, "Sorry I had to leave the party early. I needed to get together a task force to hunt down the Jackal. Luckily, we know how to find him. Their is a network troop transport coming in from one of hi smain bases. We get the driver, we know where he is. You in?"

@Blessing of Potency

"Well, It's a bit more complicated than that. It comes in at 8:00 and we need them alive. I'm going to scout the entrance route, and then give the briefing at 7:00. It's right over here," Walker said, grinning, as he guided her to a off road from the city, that lead to the warehouse district, "The Jackal shouldn't expect this, but he might, so tonight we are ocherasterating a city wide removal of Network Agents, and conficating their stores, which will go towards Alleycity reconstruction. It will costs them a fortune, so even if we don't find the Jackal we still get a victory."

Walker paused and pointed up at a warehouse roof top, "We could put some snipers up there, don't you think?"

@Blessing of Potency

Edited by Darth Woodrack

"Yeah, and over"- The continued to talk, then walked back to the station.

Sorry about the slight god mod. Needed to move on.

"Okay men! We are intercepting a network troop transport. We have sniper positioned, here, here, and here," He said pointing at a map, "We will have two patrols come in in front, and two behind. 20 prowlers will surround them. We will move forwards, and capture the occupants. Any questions?"

@Blessing of Potency

Edited by Darth Woodrack

I've got two Epics if you want them, Darth. One for the Jackal, and one for the hunters. Actual characters are still WIP, but these are their power sets and basic info:

Laplace:

Spoiler

Primary power: Enhanced analytical abilities. This manifests in three different ways, Probability prediction, physics simulation, and pattern analysis.
Probability prediction allows for the analysis of trends from small data sets, allowing for the prediction of possible actions of groups of people, assigning probabilities to each possible action they can take. This works better the larger the group is, and the more data there is available. Predicting the actions of a single individual is much more difficult, even with insight into their personality. Larger groups, on the other hand, tend to average out.
Physics simulation allows for perfectly predicting the outcome of deterministic systems, such as the paths of a group of rocks falling down, or a roulette wheel. This ability requires knowledge of the rules behind the system to work though. Encountering an unknown phenomenon, or an non-deterministic one, makes usage of this ability impossible, and if the Epic is only partially aware of the rules behind the system they can encounter errors in their analysis.
Pattern analysis allows them to take a phenomenon, or a number of incidents, and analyze the pattern behind them, creating a prediction of the rules it is based on. This works in concert with probability prediction and physics simulation, allowing them to establish the necessary rules for these to be able to work. The main issue with this, however, is that the rules they deduce might not be the actual rules that apply to a phenomenon or pattern, which might throw of their predictions by some degree.
This power is a semi-passive ability, with the power normally running subconsciously, with results manifesting as improved intuition, but they can also focus the ability on a specific task, which makes it much more effective, but requires them to consciously know what they're trying to analyze.

Secondary power: Area scan. This is an active ability that allows them to perfectly know everything about a 50 meter area centered on them. The issue here is that it isn't possible for them to consciously comprehend all this information, so they're only capable of accessing the positions, motions, and appearances of objects in this region, although they can also access information more specific information like temperature, sound, or specific materials, but this requires them to actually focus on acquiring this information, and on the specific place they want the information from.
The interesting part about this ability, however, is that their first ability is also capable of making use of this information, but is capable of accessing the full breadth of information, granting what amounts to a pseudo danger sense, though limited to what information can be gathered from inside of the ability's active area (Note that threads don't have to be inside of this area to be noticed, but either this area or what can be perceived with their normal senses must contain the information necessary for the thread to be noticeable).

Weaknesses (not character weaknesses, just ones inherent to the abilities): The main weakness behind the abilities is that whatever is being analyzed needs to have some form of rules. Anything that doesn't rely on this isn't predictable anymore by their primary ability. For example, if probability prediction is used to anticipate the actions of a group, they can use something to make the decisions at random to make them impossible to predict. This can be as simple as flipping a coin to decide on their actions, as it means that even everything about them is known, there's still a 50/50 chance for what they'll do. In the same way, it is impossible for them to perfectly predict the actions of living beings, especially sapient ones, since there will always be at least some degree of randomness involved, or at least function according to rules that can't be understood. The second weakness is that the ability requires actual data to work with, which means that it's impossible to make predictions about things they're not aware of, and the actions of unanticipated third parties can throw of all predictions. Also, trying to consciously interpret large amounts of data gathered using area scanning can cause information overload, which causes migraines and makes it impossible for them to focus on anything, shutting down their powers.

Role: Intended as a strategist type character on the side of the Jackal, who does risk assessment and runs ops. Not much of a combatant, though their abilities do have some level of use here against normal people. They're also a decent sniper, since their ability allows for predicting the bullet's trajectory. They're aware Maxwell is hunting them and feel that working with the Jackal might help them.

Maxwell:

Spoiler

Primary power: Separation of heat and cold. They can take heat from different substances, transferring it into something else. They can do this even when the substances are at thermal equilibrium, or when the substance they're taking heat from is colder than the substance they're transferring the heat to. This ability is much easier to use on gasses, with solids being the most difficult to use this ability on. The lowest temperature a substance can be brought to differs, but for air this is generally around -60°C (-76°F), and for other substances this lowest temperature is generally a lot warmer, with gasses being close to this temperature, fluids being close to -20°C (-4°F), and solids being around -5 °C (23°F), unless their phase will change while their temperature is being reduced, in which case either the lowest temperature for that phase or the current temperature will be the limit, whichever is lower. There isn't any real limit on the maximum heat that can be transferred to a substance, though gasses take less effort and are more useful. In order to transfer the energy the substance needs to be inside of 50 meters of them.
Additional notes: When not using this ability on gasses some time is necessary to gather the focus to use the ability, and both extracting and adding the heat will take time (gasses take time as well, but this is fast enough to seem instant). This also means that this ability doesn't work as an instakill on living beings.

Secondary power: Gas manipulation. They're capable of aerokinetic control of gasses, but with the peculiarity that this control takes more effort the closer the gasses are to thermal equilibrium compared to the gasses around them, with anything less than 10°C (18°F) difference from equilibrium being too close to manipulate, and a difference of 40°C (72°F) is necessary for full control, which generally gives the appearance of them manipulating freezing winds and flames/hot winds. Again, their control area for this ability is 50 meters. The controlled air can reach speeds of about 17 m/s, so enough to shake trees but not enough to toss larger/heavier things about, or create significant destruction. They can't compress the air, but are capable of stopping air from expanding or contracting from the sudden changes in heat, which means that if the air is hot enough they can actually use the additional pressure to knock people away, but at these temperatures they'd probably prefer that, since it's more survivable than being in the center of a fireball.

Peculiarities: The amount of heat they can put in a hot area is fairly small in the beginning, unless they create a large cold area and then channel all the heat into a small area. However, when heat flows back into cold areas, or from warm areas into the surrounding air, they can use the energy generated during this to increase the amount of heat inside of their hot areas. The increased heat inside of these areas will increase the heat flow, which will also increase the amount of heat generated, creating a compounding effect. This still has limits though, as they aren't immune to the heat and cold themselves, meaning that building up too much heat will kill them, and if the gas changes to plasma they'll lose control over it, causing all the heat to flood back into the general area, causing a large explosion. At the same time, because of their range limits they'll run into trouble if they use their ability for too long, as they'll end up cooking themselves, and they need to watch out when disengaging their ability as the resultant explosion might injure or kill them otherwise. They can also release control over zones they control, causing implosions and explosions because of temperature differentials (they can also use this to create energy, but it is more difficult because of the speed, causing large efficiency losses, generally losing 90% of the heat stored in the zone. This is mainly a method for decreasing the amount of time it takes to build up their temperatures again). If they have a bit of time to focus they can also combine their hot and cold zones to generate energy faster, or manipulate the shape and force of the explosions, this is a more advanced usage that needs training, and can't be improvised.

Role: They're here chasing after Laplace, and will probably join forces with the other hunters for the additional support.

Laplace and Maxwell are aware of the other's presence in the alleyverse, and have a basic understanding of the other's abilities.

Just noticed a different character is already called Maxwell, so I'll probably have Maxwell go by their actual name instead of their Epic name, at least after they find out about him.