Summoning Shardblade in front of someone.

Vuko

Question

First question does shardblade appears in hand as a whole blade or something like lightsaber from hilt forward?

If it is the first one what would happen when you put your hand in front of someone in the Shardplate and then summon the blade? Would it destroy the armor and kill the person wearing it, or something else and if the blade appears from hilt forward then it would probably push you backwards?

14 answers to this question

It has been described as dropping into a person's hands (from a small distance, nothing like 30 feet in the air or anything, it just kind of drops like a centimeter), manifesting all at once. If something is in the way, there might be some issues, but I think it would more just bounce and shatter back into the mist is appears from unless the summoner was specifically trying to keep it summoned, in which case it would just bounce and fall to the ground.

It's very possible I'm wrong, though.

Edited by Invocation

28 minutes ago, Invocation said:

I thought she summoned it directly in front of Tyn and let Tyn's momentum carry her into it.

You are right "Shallan growled, thrusting her hands forward. Mist twisted and writhed in her hands as a brilliantly silver Blade formed there, spearing Tyn through the chest."

So far i didn't find in a book/WoB explanation about this.

6 hours ago, Vuko said:

You are right "Shallan growled, thrusting her hands forward. Mist twisted and writhed in her hands as a brilliantly silver Blade formed there, spearing Tyn through the chest."

So far i didn't find in a book/WoB explanation about this.

The explanation might be that though it is acting like a dead Blade most of the time, something about the specific scenario and the way living Blades form is different from dead Blades.

On 2/2/2019 at 3:55 PM, Vuko said:

I think that you could reasonable interpret that either way: as it formed outside or inside of Tyn.  I never gave it much though and assumed it formed in Tyn.  I was imagining that they were in pretty close proximity, given that the tent they were in was pretty small and Tyn was just seconds away from killing Shallan, and Shardblades are really long (like 6+ feet).  

Maybe a more specific (though maybe unrealistic) way of thinking about this would be to imagine someone’s hand being barried in cement or something but there hand has a bit of wiggle room. Would that person be able to summon their shard blade?

Maybe a living one could because they can change their shape. But I think a dead spren simply wouldn’t be summoned because it wouldn’t be able to occupy the same space as the dirt/cement. 

On 2/4/2019 at 0:24 PM, .X Caliber said:

Maybe a living one could because they can change their shape. But I think a dead spren simply wouldn’t be summoned because it wouldn’t be able to occupy the same space as the dirt/cement. 

Yes, it's definitely a difference between a living and dead spren for the Blade.

When Adolin kills Sadeas in a knife-grappling fight on the ground, he reflects that even with both of them having Shardblades neither of them had summoned one, as the size of them made them "less good than a rock in such a close-quarters fight". Yet in Oathbringer, Kaladin summons Syl as a Shardknife to stab a flying Fused in the sky while holding onto it while protecting the Wall Guard in Kholinar, in a very similar combat scenario.

Edited by robardin

28 minutes ago, robardin said:
On 2/4/2019 at 0:24 PM, .X Caliber said:

Yes, it's definitely a difference between a living and dead spren for the Blade.

When Adolin kills Sadeas in a knife-grappling fight on the ground, he reflects that even with both of them having Shardblades neither of them had summoned one, as the size of them made them "less good than a rock in such a close-quarters fight". Yet in Oathbringer, Kaladin summons Syl as a Shardknife to stab a flying Fused in the sky while holding onto it while protecting the Wall Guard in Kholinar, in a very similar combat scenario.

I don't think these address the original question (whether you can summon Blades inside of something).  

Neither Adolin nor Sadeas summed their Blade because giant swords are really unwieldy in a close quarters fight.  And when Kaladin summoned Syl to kill the Fused, he summoned her to the side before stabbing.  

1 hour ago, Scion of the Mists said:

I don't think these address the original question (whether you can summon Blades inside of something).  

Neither Adolin nor Sadeas summed their Blade because giant swords are really unwieldy in a close quarters fight.  And when Kaladin summoned Syl to kill the Fused, he summoned her to the side before stabbing.  

True.

I guess it's open to interpretation, but I picture the description of Shallan "thrusting her hands forward. Mist twisted and writhed in her hands as a brilliantly silver Blade formed there, spearing Tyn through the chest", as the Blade forming (from mist, which was external to Tyn) in an extending fashion that "speared" (poked into and through) Tyn, not forming ex nihilo inside of her body. Maybe like a lightsaber coming out from the base, except here the base formed from mist first, then the blade coming out of it, all at a very high speed, propelled by Shallan's thrusting motion.

I am believe that the blade is transferring from the cognitive to the physical realm.  In the cognitive realm the blade is a person that hovers or swims around you.  When you summon it it moves into your hand for the transfer.  Shardplate is invested (we think it is made of many smaller spren) so the blade cannot be in the same place as the plate in the cognitive realm so no it will not appear inside the plate it will just bounce off at an odd angle.  Tyn is not a spren and people are not particularly substantial on the cognitive side so Pattern had no problem appearing inside her but shardplate is different.

•  

I have another question that might add a different perspective to the initial question.  What happens when someone under water relocates from the physical realm to the cognitive realm?  And is it the same for each area of the cognitive realm?