More cosmere?

Embrisk

In the cosmere mega series that spans 45 odd books (forget the actual number,) do you think we'll get more awesome worlds with awesome new magic systems?

Mistborn and stormlight look like they'll take up half the mega series despite being only two worlds.

Edited by Sharshiblarb

2 hours ago, Sharshiblarb said:

In the cosmere mega series that spans 45 odd books (forget the actual number,) do you think we'll get more awesome worlds with awesome new magic systems?

Mistborn and stormlight look like they'll take up half the mega series despite being only two worlds.

As @ebfritz says, we'll get to see Yolen and pre-Shattering magic.  We also might see disease magic on Ashyn (Silence Divine), the Aethers (Aether of Night), and a more in depth look at Threnody.  Also, we'll likely get some novellas about random worlds that Brandon finds interesting.  

Beyond that, Mistborn Era 4 is not going to be confined to Scadrial.  As the Cosmere finale, it's confirmed to be a space opera with FTL travel between worlds.  

Here's what Brandon has to say:

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

How many of the worlds in the cosmere do you eventually plan to talk about that we don't know about?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

...From what's been released, you've gotten almost all the important ones. There's, like, two or three ones I would consider relevant to... for instance, the planet that the Aethers, from Aether of Night, which is an unpublished book-- that's still part of the cosmere, I'm gonna do some stuff there. There are a couple of other worlds, one is mentioned in Oathbringer, just very briefly, in one of the epigraphs. There are others that I'll get to. But, when I designed the cosmere: Scadrial (Mistborn), Sel (Elantris), and Roshar were my pillars of the Cosmere story. With Yolen, the planet where it all started, just kind of being behind-the-scenes relevant. Those are the pillars of our story. Other planets will come into it, but those three-- there's nothing more important than the ones you've seen already.

Oathbringer San Francisco signing (Nov. 15, 2017)
Edited by Scion of the Mists

As mentioned, there are several locations where we're probably or definitely going to get stories which will feature new worlds and new magic. In addition to the works already mentioned, we have a place called Vax that Ati and Khriss have both referred to and we have Silverlight, which may not have any native magic systems but it's definitely a location where we could see all sorts of magic diversity from worlds that might not get books of their own. Even of the worlds we've already seen we've got plenty to learn, take Sel for example, given how Investiture works there we've got tons of potential new magic systems to see. Actually, at least one more is implicitly guaranteed by the fact that there's a third great empire on the planet which must have at least one regional magic of its own and probably lots more since Fjordel and the Rose Empire both feature multiple magics within their borders.

3 hours ago, Quantus said:

I want to say there was a WOB that he had about ten Shardworlds planned (presumably that included the minor shardworld we've seen without actual resident Shards), but I cannot find the WOB so I may be mistaken

Here it is. Whether that's still the plan or not is anybody's guess. He described them as all having 'significant' influence from the Shards and while Threnody certainly fits that bill given what we know now, First of the Sun might not.

26 minutes ago, Weltall said:

As mentioned, there are several locations where we're probably or definitely going to get stories which will feature new worlds and new magic. In addition to the works already mentioned, we have a place called Vax that Ati and Khriss have both referred to and we have Silverlight, which may not have any native magic systems but it's definitely a location where we could see all sorts of magic diversity from worlds that might not get books of their own. Even of the worlds we've already seen we've got plenty to learn, take Sel for example, given how Investiture works there we've got tons of potential new magic systems to see. Actually, at least one more is implicitly guaranteed by the fact that there's a third great empire on the planet which must have at least one regional magic of its own and probably lots more since Fjordel and the Rose Empire both feature multiple magics within their borders.

Here it is. Whether that's still the plan or not is anybody's guess. He described them as all having 'significant' influence from the Shards and while Threnody certainly fits that bill given what we know now, First of the Sun might not.

Excellent, thanks!  I think Id argue that recent revelations about Patji would make First of the Sun qualify, even if it doesn't rise to the level of full "Major" Shardworld. 

• Chaos locked this topic