The Happy Inquisitor: A Restaurant

Lunamor

22 minutes ago, Lunamor said:

Lunamor walked back out of the kitchen carrying a large bowl of stew. He set it down in front of Star.

”Enjoy your meal!”

"Thank you," Star muttered. She was more excited about her meal than maybe she let on. Sure, she was practically dead inside and she really missed Marsh, but this was a good place to, uh, stew. She smiled at her wordplay and took a bite. 

On 4/12/2019 at 3:59 PM, Lunamor said:

The fourth wall is slowly cracking.

At that moment, a mime walked into the establishment. Or, well, what used to be a mime. Now it was more. Much more.

It fixed the fourth wall with a wave of the hand, then walked over to where Narrator Pheonix was sitting.

You called for me? it spoke.

On 4/13/2019 at 11:50 PM, xinoehp512 said:

At that moment, a mime walked into the establishment. Or, well, what used to be a mime. Now it was more. Much more.

It fixed the fourth wall with a wave of the hand, then walked over to where Narrator Pheonix was sitting.

You called for me? it spoke.

Narrator Pheonix nodded and leaned in close, whispering something unintelligible to the odd non-figure. The figure hesitated for a moment, then nodded twice.

The pair left the restaurant in silence.

Zeoy's eyes wandered over to the pair leaving the restaurant. Something was going on. Something she didn't know about. She hated being kept in the dark. (figuratively and literally) She set down the rag she had been using to clean a glass and stepped out from behind the bar, trailing the pair.

@xinoehp512

Edited by Shard of Thought

2 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

The pair strode down a street, turned a corner, then went through a door.

Zeoy froze. She was still wearing her apron. Storm it, she thought. She quickly undid the knot in the back and held it in her hand, unsure of what to do. She finally threw it to the side of the building and walked through the door that they pair had entered, slightly nervous, but mostly curious. 

2 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Narrator Pheonix grinned even broader. "Good. Thanks for asking."

He pushed off the wall and turned to look directly at her. "Now, what brings you here?"

"I'm not certain, actually. Your shadowy companion piqued my interest. I have an inquisitive spirit."

Pheonix nodded once. "Ah, of course. A commendable attribute, and one that deserves to be encouraged."

With that, he turned and started to head down the entrance passageway. After a few steps he stopped and looked back over his shoulders. "Are you coming inside? My 'shadowy companion' is in the main room; he should be explain things better than I can."

Just now, xinoehp512 said:

Pheonix nodded once. "Ah, of course. A commendable attribute, and one that deserves to be encouraged."

With that, he turned and started to head down the entrance passageway. After a few steps he stopped and looked back over his shoulders. "Are you coming inside? My 'shadowy companion' is in the main room; he should be explain things better than I can."

Zeoy smiled, glad that she hadn't gotten in trouble. That never ended well. "Why not?" She followed Pheonix. 

The end of the passage opened up into a larger room. A couch and a table were up against the wall next to the entrance. The rest of the room was filled with all sorts of plants- mostly native plants, but some that looked more like what grew in the rest of the Cosmere.

Pheonix's shadowy companion was sitting on the couch- although, really, 'shadowy' was a poor description of what he looked like. His figure could be better defined as an anti-figure; it was defined by what wasn't there.
The figure turned to look as Pheonix entered the room, followed by Zeoy. I see you've brought our tail, he said.

4 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

The end of the passage opened up into a larger room. A couch and a table were up against the wall next to the entrance. The rest of the room was filled with all sorts of plants- mostly native plants, but some that looked more like what grew in the rest of the Cosmere.

Pheonix's shadowy companion was sitting on the couch- although, really, 'shadowy' was a poor description of what he looked like. His figure could be better defined as an anti-figure; it was defined by what wasn't there.
The figure turned to look as Pheonix entered the room, followed by Zeoy. I see you've brought our tail, he said.

Zeoy looked around the room, wide-eyed. She loved oddities, anything new. She might have blushed at being found out easily, but the scenery absorbed the shock. She could be sneakier if she wanted to be. "Hello," she muttered to the shadow.

On 4/26/2019 at 0:01 PM, Shard of Thought said:

Zeoy looked around the room, wide-eyed. She loved oddities, anything new. She might have blushed at being found out easily, but the scenery absorbed the shock. She could be sneakier if she wanted to be. "Hello," she muttered to the shadow.

The shadow inclined his head in a sort of half-nod.

Pheonix took a breath and spoke. "Friend, this is Zeoy. She's come here to learn."

The shadow nodded, then turned to her. What do you know of the mimes, girl?

Just now, xinoehp512 said:

The shadow inclined his head in a sort of half-nod.

Pheonix took a breath and spoke. "Friend, this is Zeoy. She's come here to learn."

The shadow nodded, then turned to her. What do you know of the mimes, girl?

Zeoy cocked her head. "Mimes?" She shrank inwardly. She was getting into things she really didn't understand. 

The figure sighed. Start at the beginning, then.

In this world- or set of worlds, anyways- there is an organization. An organization of mimes. We are contracted to perform certain services for...

He trailed off and looked at Pheonix, as if for conformation. Pheonix nodded, and he turned back.

...a group of powerful individuals known as Narrators.

4 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

The figure sighed. Start at the beginning, then.

In this world- or set of worlds, anyways- there is an organization. An organization of mimes. We are contracted to perform certain services for...

He trailed off and looked at Pheonix, as if for conformation. Pheonix nodded, and he turned back.

...a group of powerful individuals known as Narrators.

Zeoy smiled. She was probably in way over her head, but if they were willing to tell her of all people, then how bad could it be? "Hm," she said thoughtfully.