1 hour ago, Roadwalker said:

why, so the elims can whittle down the village? Or so the deepness can do the same? This statement really makes no sense, considering the LG is also starting soon

No, I just like SE. I didn't think one day would make that big of a difference, since most of the time a villager is lynched the first day. Obviously I was wrong, since we got an elim.

Sorry for the double post. Walin's was never supposed to stay.

I'm not sure this will do any good, unless some Debonair wants to come to my aid. I really don't know why CadCom voted the way he did. But the best clue I have is either trying to give me a different village target to make two villagers the top choices, or as a last-minute distancing effort from Roadwalker.

Cycle Three - Demonstrations

As Shqueeves sat around the campfire, listening to people tell stories of home, and what they would do if they defeated the Deepness, someone, almost imperceptible, upended a tiny vial into Snip’s soup.

“... and so, me and Jem, sopping wet from the river and looking like drowned rats, wearing nothing but a couple towels, had to walk through the entire town while the whole village watched on.” He chuckled. “Serves us right for what we tried to pull, I suppose.”

There was some chuckling as the speaker finished off his speech. Shqueeves looked down at his soup, and slowly lifted up a spoonful.

Something seems… different, about this.

Shqueeves paused. I like it. At last, something I can actually eat. I’ll have to thank the chef afterwards.

He finished up the soup, and slowly began to get up to thank the chef, before nearly collapsing. His vision seemed… strange, like his eyes weren’t focusing. It reminded Shqueeves of that time he’d snuck into the brewery and sampled some of the drinks there.

Maybe that’s why the… why the soup tasted so nice. Snip thought idly.

With a bit of help, he stood up. “Time to get back to your tent, I think.” someone said, gently trying to shoulder him and slowly drag him away from the campfire. “Wait…” Shqueeves said. “Wait.”

Shqueeves paused. “My… my compliments to the chef.”

And with that, Shqueeves keeled over into the dirt, and didn’t stand up again.

There was a silence in the campfire.

The chef glanced up “It was the same recipe as usual - I don’t know what that was about.”

"Perhaps Dietrich did it!" someone shouted.

"Yeah, Dietrich did it!" someone else picked up.

The mob swarmed towards Dietrich. Meanwhile, in the shadows, a figure began to slip away.

"Or what about Declan?"

There was a pause. "What about Declan?"

"He's been acting... strangely, don't you think?"

"Yeah, but... we're all strange! Isn't he just figuring out when the storms are meant to arrive, or summat like that?"

"That's not what I mean. When a few of us suggested bringing Fourth Letir out as a traitor, he seems a little too eager to join in, and split us right down the middle."

"You know..."

"Now that I think about it..."

And, for the second night in a row, a party set out to find and eliminate the traitors.

Declan stared at the paper. Something was very wrong. Something had been changed.

The writing was unmarred, and the lettering in his perfect script. But it wasn’t his. At least, not how he remembered it, and they didn’t call him Declan, the Detailed for nothing.

“Kwaan is right,” he whispered. “Alendi must be stopped.”

There was one problem, though. Declan was no good at lying. His whole world was based in fact. Numbers didn’t lie - except when changed by forces he didn’t understand - and Declan like numbers best.

The others - those who believed in Alendi - suspected him. He’d tried to act naturally, to blend in. But nothing he did ever worked. They didn’t believe his words, and any calculations he tried to show would just be changed by the power supporting Alendi.

He heard a commotion outside his tent. They were finally coming for him. They’d finally had enough of his poorly crafted lies.

Declan, the Detailed was now to be Declan, the Dead instead.

We seem to have found two of the traitors in our midst now - with luck, that may mean the end of our troubles, but I fear that is not so. Even if all the traitors have been found (and it is my strong belief that there is at least one more), then we must still worry about the Deepness, who continues to pick at us, to gnaw at our numbers, to make us desperate. I think, perhaps, its goal is to make us take up the power at the Well, not release it. But I can not allow that. If I, Alendi, make it to the Well alive, then I will not give in to this being. And if I fall, then any of those who remain loyal to me would do the same.

Today's events have brought much fear to the camp. But also, perhaps, it has brought something else, too. Where before we had hope in the success of our quest, now we have belief. 

Please go and upvote something of Elandera's for his Death write-up in the second last section.

Shqueeves has died! They were a roleless Alendi Loyalist.
Elandera was lynched! They were a roleless Rashek's Lackey.

The next cycle will end at 6:00PM 13th February AEDT.

Player List:

Roadwalker - Honorable Dietrich Drake
Itiah - De Itiah au Powerful
Ark - Soahc
Shqueeves - {Delinquent without a name} - Roleless Alendi Loyalist
Fifth Scholar - Duilin
Droughtbringer - Droughtbringer - Desperate Packman Alendi Loyalist
Xinoehp - Dedne - Roleless Alendi Loyalist
Elandara - Declan, the Detailed - Roleless Rashek's Lackey
Devotary - Daedi
CadCom - Fourth Letir - Bronze Feruchemist/Desperate Packman Rashek's Lackey
ShaneRockes - Dave, the Terrible Liar
Snipexe - Dr. Snip
Walin - Nawl

Edited by Young Bard

This is going remarkably well. My apologies for not being active, I swear to be more active this cycle. I’m going to look at last cycle’s posts now, and then give my analysis. For now, more RP:

——(-)-(-)-(-)——

De Itiah stood on the edge of a cliff, trying his best to make his cloak flow dramatically in the wind. “We appear to have killed another,” he said. “Soon, we shall be at the Well, and Alendi will be able to to conquer this Deepness! We are doing a great thing for society, you know.” He said it with a smile. He wondered, would the dramatics guild finally accept him if he helped save the word? They had to, right?

Dietrich slammed his gavel down onto a tree stump.

"And so, we see JUSTICE delivered!" His black robe swished as he strode over to the low hill where Declan's body lay. The Honorable Judge Dietrich Drake smiled thinly, as his lifelong quest for justice was once again fulfilled. He would have preferred a prison sentence for the traitor, but this would do. He had judged, the jury had voted, and the entire procession had acted as the executioner. Speaking of executioners, an innocent had died. A murder. That irked him. Two murderers had been caught by the long arm of the law, which extended all the way up into these Preservation-forsaken mountains. One or two more murderers remained free. They would meet the law, surely enough.

~*~*~*~

Given that the endgame for the Elims is outnumbering the village (which I assume does not include the deepness. @Young Bard?) And the writeup hints that only one eliminator remains, I would say that the only viable threat is the deepness. With eight players left, we assume six villagers and one eliminator and one deepness? With an elim kill, a deepness kill, and a lynch, three villagers could potentially die next turn. That leaves Three villagers, one eliminator, and one deepness. If the deepness and the elim kill a villager each, etc. etc. Not looking good for the village unless we get either the deepness or the eliminator next turn. 

I am a Tin Dark Terris Magicker, and I have at least one charge stored.

59 minutes ago, Roadwalker said:

Dietrich slammed his gavel down onto a tree stump.

"And so, we see JUSTICE delivered!" His black robe swished as he strode over to the low hill where Declan's body lay. The Honorable Judge Dietrich Drake smiled thinly, as his lifelong quest for justice was once again fulfilled. He would have preferred a prison sentence for the traitor, but this would do. He had judged, the jury had voted, and the entire procession had acted as the executioner. Speaking of executioners, an innocent had died. A murder. That irked him. Two murderers had been caught by the long arm of the law, which extended all the way up into these Preservation-forsaken mountains. One or two more murderers remained free. They would meet the law, surely enough.

~*~*~*~

Given that the endgame for the Elims is outnumbering the village (which I assume does not include the deepness. @Young Bard?) And the writeup hints that only one eliminator remains, I would say that the only viable threat is the deepness. With eight players left, we assume six villagers and one eliminator and one deepness? With an elim kill, a deepness kill, and a lynch, three villagers could potentially die next turn. That leaves Three villagers, one eliminator, and one deepness. If the deepness and the elim kill a villager each, etc. etc. Not looking good for the village unless we get either the deepness or the eliminator next turn. 

That evaluation scares me.

We've got two elims in a row...

I'm going ShaneRockes. Elandra talked about him giving her information, maybe he's the elim. If he can explain himself I will remove the vote.

1 hour ago, Ark1002 said:

That evaluation scares me.

We've got two elims in a row...

I'm going ShaneRockes. Elandra talked about him giving her information, maybe he's the elim. If he can explain himself I will remove the vote.

I have nothing really to explain myself but I was only passing on information that I had received. I know it's not much of an argument in itself but that's all I really have. 

2 hours ago, Roadwalker said:

To go along with this, I am a decoy and haven't used my ability once if that helps my argument in any way because I don't know who to use it on.

18 minutes ago, shanerockes said:
2 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

I have nothing really to explain myself but I was only passing on information that I had received. I know it's not much of an argument in itself but that's all I really have. 

Who did you receive it from?

3 hours ago, Roadwalker said:

I would much rather get the Eliminator than the Deepness. As no kill was made by the Deepness last night (unless a doctor wants to tell somebody about an attack they blocked (preferably by PM)), we can assume that the Deepness is inactive; as Shqueeves is dead, that means Walin is our most likely Deepness. Since we have his identity fairly pinned, and as he’s likely inactive, he doesn’t concern me. I’m a lot more worried about our final Eliminator, as that’s how we’re actually going to win or lose this game; we don’t need to kill the Deepness to win, only the Elims. Discounting myself, there are six possible choices for this Eliminator, which I’ll run through in no particular order: 

Roadwalker: One of the least likely IMO. Unless he’s bussing his teammates very hard, I don’t see him as a possibility, and the fact that both CadCom and Elandera tried to get him killed points me towards the idea that they either wanted him dead, or want us to be paranoid of him. (Either way, @Roadwalker, mind shooting me a PM if you’re not storing Zinc this cycle?)

Shanerockes: Confirmed contact from two known Eliminators to back up his story makes me apprehensive, but I doubt he would be explicitly honest about something like this unless he was village. It would be easy to say he received the information from one of the (numerous) dead villagers without incurring suspicion, though I do find it odd that the information was essentially passed between two Eliminators. @shanerockes, if you could, do you mind fully divulging what exactly happened with your PMs to the thread, including what kind of information you were passing and why? That may help clear some things up. 

Itiah: An interesting case. He cast a vote for Devotary early in the turn, which seemed a little odd, but after examining Devotary myself I’ll admit she doesn’t look very clean. I’m minded to trust Itiah for this vote; in addition, he seems active, and has been generally providing good analysis. 

Snip/Ark: I’m lumping these two together because they sealed the vote on Elandera, and I mostly trust them for that (Snip more than Ark, however). Ark’s decision to go after Shanerockes this round is a little odd, but I don’t have any particular reason to distrust them, so for now village read on both.

Devotary: My main suspect. She was a key voter in the C1 lynch of CadCom, being, interestingly enough, one of the two votes on Elandera before the end of the cycle. I think she was involved in the plot to tie the lynch, for a number of reasons: 

1) Distancing. As an Elim, Devotary generally doesn’t like to appear suspicious by voting on villagers, and will often lurk and wait to cast votes until the end of the turn. In typical fashion, she did so C1, providing the second vote on Elandera after me.

2) Timing. As she knows generally when I go to sleep, and is also aware that the cycle ends when I am asleep, she likely saw my vote on the Elandera lynch a permanent fixture, and therefore it was safe to add her own, knowing there would likely be only two votes, an ideal situation for Elandera and CadCom to manufacture a tied lynch. In addition, from my recollection her sleep schedule lined up well enough so that she’s awake when the cycle ends, so she’d be around to shift her vote accordingly if there were any unwanted developments. 

3) Lack of surprise. When I floated my theory about elim!Elandera trying to tie the lynch, she hedged against it but said that she could see it as a possibility, but still defended Elandera without fully committing. This reads very much like an Eliminator trying to save a teammate while not fully committing to a defence, knowing that it would sink them. 

Most damning, however, is that Devotary did not vote or post after my vote on Elandera, despite lurking for the remainder of the cycle, even after I tagged her. Another Eliminator strategy she favours is sticking to the shadows in key moments, but I did catch her on the Shard multiple times. Now I wish I’d taken screenshots to prove my point, but I ended up forgetting. Despite that, however, Devotary is the most suspicious player remaining. 

28 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Snip/Ark: I’m lumping these two together because they sealed the vote on Elandera, and I mostly trust them for that (Snip more than Ark, however). Ark’s decision to go after Shanerockes this round is a little odd, but I don’t have any particular reason to distrust them, so for now village read on both.

So, this was the best I had, and was mostly a poke vote. His response didn't alleviate any suspicion, so I left it.

28 minutes ago, Roadwalker said:

May be helpful.

That's a pretty good analysis you got there. It would be a shame if someone...didn't expand on it.

Really though, all those pieces of evidence for Devotary look good. I'll add a vote on Devotary for now, and wait until I can look at more posts. I can't tell very much right now, but to me it looks like Fifth and Roadwalker are doing the heavy lifting this cycle. I'll add a hand to that, in the form of RP--I'm not good at analysis. Secondly, I've only skimmed the posts of last cycle since I wasn't there while it went down, and same here. I'm not the Deepness, but I was inactive, and because of that I don't know who would be a better candidate.

------------------------------------

Nawl paced around. So far, there were two traitors. Both dead.

How would it end? Would Alendi be the last left standing, as a cruel but ineffective attack by the Deepness? Would one of the party have to use the Well in his stead? He didn't have these questions when he first joined this expedition. He was simply thinking it was a better idea than to sit in the valley below, waiting for the world to be saved. Nawl wouldn't help anyone by waiting around. Of course, he wasn't helping here either. He hardly knew the terrain, and he wasn't a Feruchemist. Come to think of it, why had he joined? He didn't even remember.

Perhaps someone had been killed before the party even left, and he was a quick replacement. Not a target. Someone who could avoid death long enough to stave off the final attack of a treacherous group.

Or maybe he had been planted to dilute the ranks. Keep the group from forming a united front. The collector, the scientist, the one who didn't have any business being here. Nawl thought on this more. The others had their eccentricities too. Were they simply pawns, and Alendi the unwitting king walking towards checkmate?

They should have brought a philosopher along with them. Nawl was feeling lightheaded, and it wasn't due to the air.

1 hour ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Devotary: My main suspect. She was a key voter in the C1 lynch of CadCom, being, interestingly enough, one of the two votes on Elandera before the end of the cycle. I think she was involved in the plot to tie the lynch, for a number of reasons: 

1) Distancing. As an Elim, Devotary generally doesn’t like to appear suspicious by voting on villagers, and will often lurk and wait to cast votes until the end of the turn. In typical fashion, she did so C1, providing the second vote on Elandera after me.

2) Timing. As she knows generally when I go to sleep, and is also aware that the cycle ends when I am asleep, she likely saw my vote on the Elandera lynch a permanent fixture, and therefore it was safe to add her own, knowing there would likely be only two votes, an ideal situation for Elandera and CadCom to manufacture a tied lynch. In addition, from my recollection her sleep schedule lined up well enough so that she’s awake when the cycle ends, so she’d be around to shift her vote accordingly if there were any unwanted developments. 

3) Lack of surprise. When I floated my theory about elim!Elandera trying to tie the lynch, she hedged against it but said that she could see it as a possibility, but still defended Elandera without fully committing. This reads very much like an Eliminator trying to save a teammate while not fully committing to a defence, knowing that it would sink them. 

Most damning, however, is that Devotary did not vote or post after my vote on Elandera, despite lurking for the remainder of the cycle, even after I tagged her. Another Eliminator strategy she favours is sticking to the shadows in key moments, but I did catch her on the Shard multiple times. Now I wish I’d taken screenshots to prove my point, but I ended up forgetting.

#1 is my general playstyle, regardless of alignment. While I realise it makes sense to poke vote early in the cycle, then come back later to make an actual vote, I generally just wait until I have the most information possible.

#2, there were a grand total of two votes at the time. If Elandera, CaCom and I were all evil, we could have lynched anybody else even if only two of us voted(unless you're the debonair, in which case there would have been a tie). In a game where we can only afford 1-3 mislynches depending on who the Deepness kills, lynching a villager day 1 is worth unwanted connectivity. On a more personal note, I've been evil with Elandera twice and both times she's been instantly lynched. Had I been evil this game, I would not have put her up for the lynch a third time.

#3, After your posts I PMd Elandera for more information, specifically whether she was the debonair who killed CaCom. Had that been the case, the likelihood of her being evil would have been lower. She claimed roleless, and I probably should have voted for her at this point, but then I forgot until about 10 minutes before rollover. The vote was ~4-1 at this point, beyond the reach of a debonair, and since I'm not a Pewter Dark Terris Magicker I didn't bother to vote.

31 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

#1 is my general playstyle, regardless of alignment. While I realise it makes sense to poke vote early in the cycle, then come back later to make an actual vote, I generally just wait until I have the most information possible.

#2, there were a grand total of two votes at the time. If Elandera, CaCom and I were all evil, we could have lynched anybody else even if only two of us voted(unless you're the debonair, in which case there would have been a tie). In a game where we can only afford 1-3 mislynches depending on who the Deepness kills, lynching a villager day 1 is worth unwanted connectivity. On a more personal note, I've been evil with Elandera twice and both times she's been instantly lynched. Had I been evil this game, I would not have put her up for the lynch a third time.

#3, After your posts I PMd Elandera for more information, specifically whether she was the debonair who killed CaCom. Had that been the case, the likelihood of her being evil would have been lower. She claimed roleless, and I probably should have voted for her at this point, but then I forgot until about 10 minutes before rollover. The vote was ~4-1 at this point, beyond the reach of a debonair, and since I'm not a Pewter Dark Terris Magicker I didn't bother to vote.

...alright, I can mostly accept that, Devotary. I’m still a little curious about your hedging with Elandera, but I’m prepared to accept shanerockes as a candidate and then lynch you next cycle if we’re wrong about him. I’d really like you to more specifically address why you passively defended Elandera so much yesterday, though. 

Those are all good counters. Devotary knows how to prove innocence.

I don't think Shanerockes is that suspicious, but I don't see much information on any other players around here. I'm probably not going to vote this cycle, in that case. Unless there's no definitive lynch and we need a tiebreaker, I'll sit on the sidelines and do some more RP.

-----------------

Lunch was pretty good. Nawl's thoughts of the morning weren't at the forefront of his mind anymore, so he could start thinking about metalminds again. Fourth Letir wasn't buried yet, if he remembered correctly.

Which he probably didn't. He'd heard something of the Deepness altering people's memories, or something like that.

Either way, he decided that thinking while eating lunch was the best way to think; afterwards, he would just try to admire the mountains. It was strange--he hadn't actually climbed many mountains, though he knew how to hike. Step carefully, balance weight, look for the easiest paths. This mountain was no different from the others. It contained the Well of Ascension, but besides that, it was simply a place with trees and grass.

A forest in the mountains, dying as if it were winter.

The trees had lost their leaves already, and it wasn't due to the temperature. The grass had wilted and turned gray, and bushes were falling apart. It was only a few days ago that the group pushed through shale and walked by shelves of granite, a geological wonder with no nature to be found. It was such a drastic difference, coming from the leeward side into the supposedly lush face of the mountain. They would cross back over to the rocky side after today, after hunting for food.

Right. Food. Nawl had forgotten to hunt yesterday, and he hadn't checked his pack to see how low his supplies were. He got up and grabbed his knife, some twine and a few good sticks.

This is a bit painful. I want to do what @Walin is doing and hold off of lynching, but we only have so many lynches. We've been lucky before, we could be lucky again. For now, I will vote on shanerockes, because the elim > @shanerockes > elim stream through PM's seems a wee bit far-fetched. One thing I noticed is that when @Fifth Scholar ripped up Walin, Fifth failed to tag them. Not a very nice move, Fifth. Was this accidental?

32 minutes ago, Roadwalker said:

One thing I noticed is that when @Fifth Scholar ripped up Walin, Fifth failed to tag them. Not a very nice move, Fifth. Was this accidental?

I did not tag Walin, no, as I assumed inactivity, and frankly, having thought he was the Deepness, I saw no reason to encourage them to be active and start killing people. Obviously this was a faulty assumption, and I apologise to Walin for assuming the worst of him, but it made sense based on the logic I had at the time. I’ll PM you with further details. 

So for those who were wondering what happened in the PM's that I had was that I was trying to get information on roles so I'd know who I could use my action on. I learned a possible alignment/role from Cad and only informed Elandera of what I had learned from Cad. I was only passing information in an attempt to get any information from anyone else. 

I will also put a vote onto Ark  only because they were the first ones to put a vote onto me. 

1 hour ago, Roadwalker said:

It was bugging me, but I couldn't pinpoint it. Two votes on @shanerockes so far.

Actually three.

32 minutes ago, shanerockes said:

So for those who were wondering what happened in the PM's that I had was that I was trying to get information on roles so I'd know who I could use my action on. I learned a possible alignment/role from Cad and only informed Elandera of what I had learned from Cad. I was only passing information in an attempt to get any information from anyone else. 

I will also put a vote onto Ark  only because they were the first ones to put a vote onto me. 

Okay, that's just... sure, I'll take it. I'm not an elim, I've done nothing to help an elim, my votes have all been for elims. So, sure, blame me. You'll be wrong.

1 minute ago, Ark1002 said:

Okay, that's just... sure, I'll take it. I'm not an elim, I've done nothing to help an elim, my votes have all been for elims. So, sure, blame me. You'll be wrong.

Well neither am I but you think so and I've said all that had happened so you do with it what you want. You've made a mistake voting for me.