Cycle One - Defiant

Someone, or something, has been attempting to assassinate me. Initially, I put it down to paranoia, and to our hazardous environment - a rockfall that missed me by inches, or a herd of wild goats stampeding and nearly trampling the entire caravan. But, as time went on, these attacks got more overt.

My next thought was the Deepness - but this doesn't seem to be his style. These attacks seem... sloppier, somehow, then the actions I've come to associate with the Deepness. They're much more human, more fallible. Also, I get the strange sense that the Deepness doesn't actually want me dead. Just... desperate, somehow. To what end, I do not understand.

No, these attacks seem to be by human hand. Just last night, I left camp to try and look out over the view (what I could see of it, at least), and an arrow whizzed past me. As I turned around, I was sure I saw a figure rushing back around the corner. I gave chase, but they managed to disappear.

Someone in this camp is trying to murder me. They must be found, and stopped. Nothing can interfere in the way of this mission.

Welcome to MR33! Cycle One has started, and will continue until February 9th, 6pm AEST (about 46 hours from now).

All PM's have been sent out! If I've passed over yours somehow, let me know and I'll fix it up as quick as possible.

Player List:

Roadwalker - Honorable Dietrich Drake
Itiah - De Itiah au Powerful
Ark - Soahc
Shqueeves - {Delinquent without a name}
Fifth Scholar - Duilin
Droughtbringer - Droughtbringer
Xinoehp - Dedne
Elandara - Declan, the Detailed
Devotary - Daedi
CadCom - Fourth Letir
ShaneRockes - Dave, the Terrible Liar
Snipexe - Dr. Snip
Walin - Nawl

Edited by Young Bard

Nawl awoke to mist. It wasn't like the Deepness, however; no, there must have been rainfall during the night that left the air humid and foggy. Keeping the fog in mind, he went to relieve himself. The terrain here was like a cultivated mountain trail--the area to walk was fairly linear, and going off trail meant either scaling or descending a steep slope. The last time he had seen trees were two days ago, about twenty miles back. Of the inconveniences of coming with Alendi, this one was quite unexpected.

Even though the fog was fairly thick, Nawl found himself still walking, even a mile away from camp. This whole time, he had been thinking of collecting some filled metalminds to put on his family's shelf. Preserve the legacy of his non-Feruchemist, but appreciative, ancestry--and all that. But several were stolen recently. If any of the Feruchemists died now, they'd do it using their resources to defend themselves.

Having such refreshing air to hike in gave him time to think. Why was he really here? Was Nawl as shallow as he perceived--and wanted himself--to be? Half his friends had died in conflicts with foreigners--the other half weren't Feruchemists. How deep had he buried his fear of fighting to preserve his people? To preserve his history, his world? Was his collector's attitude a symptom of his admiration, or an excuse to forget about his friends' sacrifice?

Could he give that up? His study and collection of antique metalminds had clearly flavored his interactions with others, and being noble helped fuel his hobby. But was it actually what he wanted to be doing, when the world was at stake? Why would he use false bravado to disguise his fears? If he became sincerely a part of the group, could he keep up without a mental crutch anymore?

Two things were for sure. It was now late enough in the morning that Nawl needed to return to camp. And he no longer needed to pee.

Hello all! Just checking in really quickly, as I won’t have sufficient time to make a real post right now, and probably shouldn’t without giving the roles a good reread. Also, I’ll likely be able to commit a lot more to this game after the AG ends, so give me 48 hours or so to adjust and I’ll be posting as I usually do. :P 

Fourth thought back on memories past. Memories of a scary time in his life. Fourth had been a junkie and an alcoholic. Running from law enforcement, living under false names was commonplace for fourth. But now he was recovering. The AA meetings were helpful, but now that there were rumors of vigilantes or traitors in camp, he began to fear the stress will cause him to relapse. Also, what if the others learn about his sketchy past, or begin to blame him. What will happen then?

Not using the letter which has a curse is very uneasy to accomplish. 

“The Deepness approaches,” De Itiah au Powerful monologued in the camp, in his standard dramatic fashion. “And we are saviours, of the world. Vanquishing the evil, and bringing forth prosperity!” He paused, then wrote something in his notebook. If he was ever going to be casted for stageplays, he needed to have a range. But if course, with impending evil around the corner the entertainment industry, if you could even call it that, hadn’t exactly been booming.

“We must save the world,” he announced. “And bring the chosen hero to his destination!”

"Oh dear," muttered Declan as he reviewed his forms and calculations. "It's taking us too long." 

Declan, the Detailed, wasn't even sure why he'd been asked to join the trip. He was meant to be among the books and papers of the Terris clerks. Not hiking up a mountain.

But since he was there, he'd be useful. His calculations showed a turn in the weather soon. The crew needed to hurry if they wanted to avoid the worst of the storm.

• Alvron locked and unpinned this topic

Roadwalker - Honorable Dietrich Drake
Itiah - De Itiah au Powerful
Ark - Soahc
Shqueeves - {Delinquent without a name}
Fifth Scholar - Duilin
Droughtbringer - Droughtbringer
Xinoehp - Dedne
Elandara - Declan, the Detailed
Devotary - Daedi
CadCom - Fourth Letir
ShaneRockes - Dave, the Terrible Liar
Snipexe - Dr. Snip
Walin - Nawl

Dear everyone, we obviously have 3 people to lynch as soon as possible. With Soahc and Nawl being the to biggest candidates, as Fourth Letir is relatively close to being on our side, the side of the greatest letter of the alphabet.

20 minutes ago, Droughtbringer said:

Dear everyone, we obviously have 3 people to lynch as soon as possible. With Soahc and Nawl being the to biggest candidates, as Fourth Letir is relatively close to being on our side, the side of the greatest letter of the alphabet.

You mean the most lethal letter of the alphabet? 

Daedi hated the cold. The temperatures never dropped so low in Khlennium, a place she'd much rather be than here, climbing a mountain for a reason only Alendi seemed to understand. Supposedly, it had something to do with his status as the Hero, the one prophesied to reach the Well of Ascension. Daedi had little trust in prophesies, especially those of unknown origins, but Alendi could not be convinced to turn back, not with the Deepness consuming the land. And so here she was, helping her liege lord ascend the Terris peaks with the company of Terris capable of storing their body heat for later. A fascinating ability, and one that warranted further study. If this technique could be learned, or the technology shared, then perhaps she wouldn't need to be cold anymore.

7 hours ago, Camium Compouner said:

Fourth had been

Was this 'd' intentional?

17 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

Was this 'd' intentional?

Imagine that this portion says "fourth was previously" I thought about going back to change it, but I feel like that is cheating. 

Edited by Camium Compouner

3 hours ago, Droughtbringer said:

I agree with @Droughtbringer in the fact we need to get rid of the traitors. 

The Honorable Dietrich Drake strode out of his tent into the cool morning air. He waited a moment for the call of the bailiff announcing his entrance, then caught himself and continued, holding his judicial robes clear of the dirty ground. 

Dietrich looked out over the bustling packmen and Terris, almost shouting ORDER! aloud, but he held himself in check, maintaining the proper judicial composition. 

He surveyed the Terris guides and Alendi's company for a short while, then returned to his tent and took out a quill to pen his opinion.

Fellow Traveler,

He shook his head and lay his pen down. He retreated to the back of his tent and lay back on his cot, content to sleep for another hour or so.

Edit: @Young Bard, can we form PM's with multiple people?

Edited by Roadwalker

Alright, I’m back to a more dedicated posting schedule, I hope. However, this will probably be the last thing I say tonight, as I’m busy with real work and the AG.

I’m going to do a bit of role analysis. Here we go. 

Feruchemists - Feruchemists may store charges and use those charges at a later time. You may only store one charge each cycle, however, you may expend as many charges from a single metal as you have stored on a given turn:

• Pewter/Strength: When storing charges, your vote will not be counted. When tapping charges, whoever you vote for will have an extra vote placed on them per 2 charges spent. (The writeup will not display the missing/extra votes in the vote tally.)
  • Tin/Senses: When you store a charge of Zinc, you may not talk in PM’s for the next cycle. When tapping a charge of Zinc, you may target a player and spy on the contents of a random PM they are in.
  • Bronze/Wakefulness: When you store a charge of Bronze, you may not perform an action for the next cycle. When you tap a charge of Bronze, you may perform an extra action that cycle (tapping Bronze does not count as an action).

Pewter Dark Terris Magicks is inefficient, costing the user two votes to attain one extra. However, if the Feruchemist can survive, the extra vote becomes potentially more powerful as the player list quickly thins. I could see this in both Eliminator and Village players, as vote manip is useful to both factions. Probably village, as Elims would IMO be more likely to get Debonair (which I’ll explain below). 

Tin Dark Terris Magicks is very intriguing. I recommend that all players reply to their PMs as quickly as possible to attempt to ferret out who is using this ability, as I’d like to be aware of who has the potential to snoop in on my conversations. It’s also worth noting that if you’re one of those people that likes roleclaiming, best to get it over with this cycle, as it’s the only one in which you have no chance of being seen. I’d place higher odds on an Elim having this, as the Elims won’t have incentive to PM anything incriminating so a villager with this role likely won’t turn up much.  

Unless people can have double-roles, Bronze seems to be exclusively an Eliminator ability. There’s no need for extra actions if nothing can be done with them, and killing is the only possibility that springs to mind when examining the rules. I might be wrong about double-roles though. @Young Bard do those exist? If so, there’s a more plausible case for a village Bronze Magicker. 

Decoy - You have a duty to protect those who need it. Target a player - Any actions targeted at that player will target you instead.

Ooh, so this is interesting. Protecting Doctors and Defenders would be the best idea with this, and the sacrificial nature suggests to me that it’s a village role. If the Elims had a central role, however, it is possible that they got one of these as well. Overall I think Decoys should refrain from using their role unless they’ve got a good idea of who they’re targeting.

Doctor - People are so fond of sticking knives into each other - more work for you cleaning it all up afterwards. Target someone - if they were going to die that night, they won’t anymore.

Fairly straightforward protection role as long as we’re cautious about WGGs—with a serial killer there’s more reason to give the Elims one of these. 

Defender - Sometimes, offence is the best defence. You swore that Alendi would reach the peaks, and you are willing to do whatever it takes to achieve that. You get to kill a player each cycle.

Well. Between the lynch, Deepness, and Elims, this role has next to zero chance of existing in a thirteen-player game. 

^Was my original reaction to this. Now I notice that the Eliminators have no explicit ability to kill. With that in mind, they may have this role instead, and a Decoy or Doctor to protect them. So with one of these presumably floating around somewhere, likely with the Elims, there should be three deaths a cycle, about. On the off chance a villager does have this, I recommend taking down semiactives and lurkers so we don’t waste lynches on them. 

I’ll analyse Debonair and Packman later when I have the time, as I’m on the cusp of simply going to bed.

7 hours ago, Roadwalker said:

Edit: @Young Bard, can we form PM's with multiple people?

You can, yes.

4 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

@Young Bard do [double roles] exist? If so, there’s a more plausible case for a village Bronze Magicker. 

PAFO.

Quick reminder - I should be included in all PM's between players.

4 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Now I notice that the Eliminators have no explicit ability to kill.

That's a mistake on my part - the Eliminators do have a kill ability, but I should have put that in explicitly.

Edited by Young Bard

Well, hopefully now that the AG is over, this game will pick up, since players won't have to switch between accounts so much. Anyway, Since no one else has begun the lynch yet, I suppose I'll go through to poke vote someone who has no post yet. 

Shqueeves - {*elinquent without a name} @Shqueeves
Snipexe - *r. Snip. @Snipexe

All that was necessary was to flip a coin! So even though there's not many posts, nearly everyone has posted so far, so I guess that's Positive!

evil letters were prevalent

23 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

“The Deepness approaches,” De Itiah au Powerful monologued in the camp, in his standard dramatic fashion. “And we are saviours, of the world. Vanquishing the evil, and bringing forth prosperity!” He paused, then wrote something in his notebook. If he was ever going to be casted for stageplays, he needed to have a range. But if course, with impending evil around the corner the entertainment industry, if you could even call it that, hadn’t exactly been booming.

“We must save the world,” he announced. “And bring the chosen hero to his destination!”

Dedne looked over his shoulder and glared at De Itiah. Why did he have to do that now? Dedne was in the middle of brooding. He hated interruptions.

Fourth chose to join this trek because it was a great opportunity to leave the city, where illicit substances were everywhere, tempting him, even teasing him, calling for him to return. But Fourth knew that if he fell victim to the illicit substances again, he can never return. Unfortunately, these terris peaks were filled with herbs, herbs, which, with the right information or materials, can be put in a brew to create some very potent psychotheraputic hallucinogenic substances.

There was no AA group among the members of this journey, but, with the new stress from the presence of possible traitors among the group, perhaps it was beneficial if Fourth were to form one. So Fourth wrote up some fliers, then put them up throughout camp for others to see. 

Tonight was the 4th, so Fourth left to clean out his tent so that he was able to host the meeting in a clean environment.

AA Terris Peaks.png

Sorry for the double post, and the use of D's in this quote, but I feel that it's important, For anyone trying to reach me through PM, My name was changed from Cadmium Compounder to Camium Compouner.  I had to get rid of the Ds

Nawl ate lunch with the others. He forgot how split they were on the usage of certain phonemes; perhaps a silly thing to make important, but Nawl was a collector. He knew what it was like to have superstitions; to be a little...apart from the others, because of how one looks when collecting useless implements. He went along with the "battle" for the rest of his meal, but then got back to normal. He was still in turmoil from the killing, the haunting monster following them; his walk and coming to terms with his behavior--he needed to think.

There could have been a traitor among them, or the Deepness could have turned one of them, or the Deepness itself walked among humans...too much to think about. He still hadn't decided whether he could still, on the side, collect unusable metalminds. People had already died here. It would be highly insensitive to ask for someone's metalminds right after their death, but Nawl and the others would probably die anyways, so what was the point of avoiding social taboo?

On that same note, how could he justify such a frivolous thing in the face of the world's destruction? Could he really learn anything about metalminds on this journey, or was it just for the sake of collection? He likely wouldn't return from here. Alendi was getting on edge; perhaps by the time they reached the Well he would be unhinged. The world would survive, but would Alendi crush the mountain with them in his state?

Well, for right now, he wouldn't think of collecting metalminds. Just on mapping their path and the sky, making sure no danger would befall everyone. After all, while the Deepness killed crops back home, weather even slightly harsher than that could kill the whole group, up here. He walked over to the mappers' table, adding his walk to the sketch for today.

Now that shqueeves has a post, I feel that it is best to remove my vote from him Shqueeves. Since my vote was just a poke vote. But now, there are literally no votes, with less than twelve hours left in the cycle. I'll try to place another vote, but there are usually no fair reviews(rea*s) of other players for cycle 1, so give me a minute

I see two paths from here, @Camium Compouner votes on someone, and everyone bandwagons, so that person (likely innocent) dies and the people who bandwagon first are lynched, etc, or camium votes on someone and the vote splits out with votes on camium and his target, and camium dies, and we lose someone who I think is a villager. (Just a really really hazy gut read, this early on.)

What are the mathematics on not voting vs. voting? Which is better for the village? I'm not a stats person, but I figure in a 13 person game it might be better to vote.