2 hours ago, Stark said:

[Szeth] goes to kill a king on Mr. T's orders, only to find it is a trap, and he is stuck in a room with a bunch of noble bystanders, two full shardbearers and the king with a blade.  In his anger at the king for sacrificing his people to trap Szeth, he dismisses the Honorblade and proceeds to beat both Shardbearers using only Surgebinding.

So you can definitely use the surges of a dismissed Honorblade.

Bingo! Bonding an Honorblade grants the use of the associated Surges. So the question is, can one bond more than one Honorblade at a time, the way we saw Amaram bonding two deadspren Shardblades at the same time?

They shouldn't really have been designed to do that if they were created for specific bearers, which is interesting to consider. I mean, it's not like the Heralds ever swapped Honorblades (...or did they?). Yet somehow, bonding and un-bonding an Honorblade is pretty simple, since for most of Oathbringer, Bridge Four trains up on Windrunning skills without Kaladin being around to en-squire them by passing around Jezrien's Blade.

And bonding Jezrien's Blade didn't make Szeth or anybody else a Herald. The Oathpact, and the resulting cycle of the Heralds who swore it being sent to Damnation to withstand torture, was separate from the Honorblades they bore. And neither unbonding their Honorblade nor forswearing the Oathpact reverted the Heralds to mortal status, they each lived on for the next 4500 years. (Until Moash.)

It's as if the Honorblades were created before the Heralds existed or were assigned to take them up. 

Did the Heralds have to abandon their Honorblades at Aharietam, then, or were they just tired of carrying the symbols of their Heraldom?

Could the Oathpact in theory have been renewed by someone else picking up an unbonded Honorblade and "speaking again the ancient oaths?"

On 1/30/2019 at 10:17 PM, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Could Tanavast have been telling Dalinar to literally unite the Honor-blades? By this I mean, use his Bondsmith weirdness to merge them into one blade that grants all of the Surges and all of the intersections that would result from having them.

Maybe the Honorblades will create a Dawnshard when united

22 hours ago, robardin said:

"You've trained with all ten Surges?" Sigzil said to Szeth in amazement.

"Yes. My people have long had nine of the ten Honorblades, until the Blade of Nin, who you call Nalan, disappeared. But even with the eight we have, all ten Surges can be used."

"Amazing!" said Sigzil. "Can you hold more than two Surges at once, then?" Szeth boggled, so he continued. "Wield multiple Honorblades," Sigzil suggested. "Strap all the Honorblades to yourself, and gain all ten Surges, most of them doubled up."

"I'm sorry, Worldsinger-nimi," Szeth eventually replied. "You are obviously very knowledgeable about this, and know things that none of us would ever think to try. How could we be so foolish as not to have even attempted to hold two Honorblades at the same time, or to see if merely touching all of them --"

"Shut it," Sigzil growled. Then he cocked his head. "Do you... Feel a strange sense like we are echoing a conversation from another place and time?"

What is this from?

2 minutes ago, IGetLIFTed said:

Maybe the Honorblades will create a Dawnshard when united

Nah, you need to creatively stack together the abandoned sets of shard plate from five orders of Radiants with non-overlapping Surges to unlock their final mecha form.

When combined in the right order, with the users shouting the right oaths, while holding out the  proper coloured power stones, they assemble into a five-pilot shardplate-chasmfiend.

Best way to fight a Thunderclast.

5 minutes ago, IGetLIFTed said:

What is this from?

Very sorry to have misled anyone by accident (I've updated my post more clearly) - I was making a half-joking reference to a very similar exchange in one of the Mistborn books, The Bands of Mourning, though also seriously suggesting that the logic that follows that particular exchange about the mechanics of certain objects applying the Metallic Arts of Scadrial could also apply on Roshar to the Honorblades and Surgebinding.

24 minutes ago, robardin said:

Very sorry to have misled anyone by accident (I've updated my post more clearly) - I was making a half-joking reference to a very similar exchange in one of the Mistborn books, The Bands of Mourning, though also seriously suggesting that the logic that follows that particular exchange about the mechanics of certain objects applying the Metallic Arts of Scadrial could also apply on Roshar to the Honorblades and Surgebinding.

Ah okay I haven't read Mistborn era 2

• Chaos locked this topic