Hemalurgy    14 members have voted

1. 1. Legalization of Hemalurgy. (Majority vote. Reps only.)

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

242 posts in this topic

I think you misunderstand. It doesn't matter how varied you are, you still appointed yourselves into that position. Thre head of such a large force should elected or appointed by someone else. At the very least, the leaders should be approved by the Senate. 

Given that there is no government, yes they were. Everything in the Alleyverse is privately owned and operated. I personally have nothing against or for it, but in terms of a believable government it is very unusual that they would just accept an existing group that didn't answer directly to them to be the primary peace keeping force.

Not that we necessarily need our government to be that believable, it's easily handwaved and we've handwaved worse in the past, but just for context.

9 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Yeah, that's my argument exactly. 

Dusk teleported away.

Ark? I'm offering you leadership? Gee, that usually works.:ph34r:

@Ark1002

Edited by Darth Woodrack

Hi. I still want to be chancellor. Because then people would assassinate me.

uh, I was already planning on killing  Hugging you all

That's not a bad idea Bit! a hugs thread! I think I'll make that.*

*Definetly not a GB assassination plot. Why would you think that?

Uh we have one. It consists of me, bit and Aon. Them hugging me and me feeling awkward.

WHERE IS THAT???

I WANNA ASSASSINATE HUG PEOPLE TOO!

Edited by Gancho Libre

Seb spoke up breaking the pending silence. "I have a proposal to make. I suggest we make Hemalurgy legal under certain circumstances and conditions. "

Edited by Lord Meeker

Keleth stood up.  "Under certain circumstances, hemalurgy can be beneficial.  If no life is taken, and the victim is willing, I agree with him."  He pulled out a rather large scroll from the depths of his robes.  "I propose that we actually get to discussing laws.  We should draft a formal article of laws.  My master, The Most Holy, has drafted a set of laws to use.  Feel free to argue them or amend them.  This is what a republic is all about, the mutual sharing of opinions."  With that, he pulled out a scroll, and began reading:

Laws:

Spoiler

If one does any crime against another (Up for debate what those crimes shall be) the law shall react accordingly:  All crimes are subject to punishment as the victim decides, baring death or extremely brutal punishments (such as dismemberment, disembowelment, slow torture, incarceration for life, incineration, the removing of important limbs [such as arms and legs], etc.).  Encouraged punishments include but are not limited to: Removing of a hand or foot, removing of fingers or toes, the use of Aon Kii, extended incarceration, etc.  Under special cases where the victim cannot decide a punishment (due to insanity or death), an unbiased party will be selected and requested to decide an appropriate punishment in accordance with all regulations above.  An unbiased party consisting of members close to the victim and to the perpetrator.  When the victim is dead, the party selecting the punishment has the right to enforce otherwise restricted punishments (such as death, the removing of important limbs, or incarceration for life).  There are special cases where the offender is not responsible for his/her/it's actions, such as insanity, control through a hemalugic spike, etc.  If one is insane, there is no guilty party, and the entire matter will be forgotten, with the insane person in question going through extensive rehabilitation.  Insanity must be proven with scientific brain scans.  If the crime is the result of hemalurgic control, the one responsible is the one controlling the offender.  If the guilty party happens to be a shard, or some other cosmic being, the DA lawyers will be asked to file a lawsuit.  Any and all punishments will be carried out by the precursors, givin that they are accepted as the policing unit for Alleycity.  This is a perfectly sound justice system, and all complaints will be ignored, with the complainer buried under six feet of reasonably soft dirt.

@Lord Meeker

That covers one aspect." Ciera said calmly. "Justice is important, yes, but we need other things. Taxation, census, law enforcement, infrastructure and a million seemingly insignificant things."

Edited by Lord Meeker

Wes stood up. "The victim decides a punishment? That's crazy! Someone could steal my Cerrobend and if they were caught I could literally decide that the punishment should be to cut off their hand. That is insane."

Pry also stood. "First of all, how can you even consider making Hemalurgy legal?!" Yes she had decided to put the Keepers above TUBA, but in this one field it wasn't guild loyalty driving her. It was family. "And what would qualify as one of these 'circumstances'? Who decides that it fits the qualifications? Where is that line drawn?" She looked straight at the man who had suggested a form of "justice". "You call that a good system? Think about it for just a minute. You suggest cutting off limbs that aren't 'important'. Again, who determines that? To a weaver, losing a finger might mean losing the ability to do their trade. Losing a toe also inhibits a person's ability to balance. Who hires a person with one hand? One foot?

"Do you know what people do when they have no honest way to make a living? Because they have it even harder than normal to get a job? They resort to crime to earn chrysts. Do you know what happens to the incarcerated? They get surrounded by terrible influences. People much worse than themselves. People who make them worse. When they finally get out, it doesn't matter how they came in, they'll be hardened criminals." Pry paused to try and let that sink in. "In addition, I'm in agreeance with the Ghostblood representative. To let the victim decide the punishment doesn't seem right. I have a one year old brother. He was a victim. Problem with your system is that there is no clause for the underage. My brother wouldn't have been able to decide what Hellbent deserved for multiple reasons. Also, what if there's more than one victim? What then? Who decides?

"And if the one who commited the crime was never taught otherwise? If they were raised that it was okay to do what they did? What happens to them? What if it's a child who does it? They can be taught to be better, but if all they see of the justice system is someone cutting off their finger, why should they see it as something good? There might be thousands of cases like this. You can't ignore that most of the people who do crime do it because they have no other choice. They deserve a second chance.

"There are too many issues with what you've proposed. I didn't even mention them all. I can only hope you've heard everything I said and won't just ignore it. A justice system isn't something that can thrown together in a matter of minutes. It needs to be expandable and written very carefully if we want it to outlive most of us."

The old lady stood up, hobbled over, and hit Keleth in the knees with her cane. "You seem like a bloodthirsty young man. Who appointed you?"

@King Taravangian

Edited by Ark1002

Seb raised an eyebrow. "So your suggestion would to illegalize Hemalurgy? You may have Forgotten that our whole way of life is kept safe and sound because of a spike. Do you suggest that we rip it out then? In some degree Hemalurgy must be leagal otherwise you might as well tell the DA that they are out of jobs." Seb turned to the Da group. "How many people would be up off of work?" He turned back to Pry. "And you have the Gall to talk to me about work."

Sebastian shook head in disbelief.

The elderly woman smiled. "I think that the way it was done on Scadrial works. Extremely old and terminally sick people can sacrifice themselves for spikes, nonlethal spiking can be done with consent."

"Fine. Say it were made legal. Where is the line drawn?" Pry said. "The Scadrian system, like communism, is good in theory, but only works to an extent. The definition of consent is very malleable to some people. In the past, there was a case where someone argued that having a family who had an unlocked door was basically consenting," She gave the man the slightest bit of a glare. "You don't put a stumbling block in front of the blind. The DA will always do as the DA wishes no matter how much we try to convince ourselves otherwise - there's nothing we can do about that - so your point about them being out of work is invalid. But everyone else? Why give them the tools they need to create loopholes?"

The DA group looked at each other and whispered. Then one of them spoke up. 

“It has come to our attention that we have no diefic entities in our group right now and thus can not comprehend who or what or how many beings the DA employs. Suffice it to say that it’s a lot.”

A small speaker that had remained unnoticed on the collar of one of the DA delegates blared to life. 

“There are at least 7 DA employees. The DA would also like to remind you that the latest iteration of The Disclaimer contains a clause that exempts them from all legal ramifications as long as the act in question is related to ‘research’ of some kind. And remember, the only baked goods for me are from the Alley!”

Ummmm... Delivered a code of laws over here...

Also, Ark has agreed to support the Precursors of guild diversity if he gets his spot back. Don't question it.

Clyde, you okay with that?

Thel spoke up, "I have to object to victim choosing punishment. If somebody harasses someone else, they could say that they should be locked up for the rest of their lives. It just makes a job as a law enforcer that much harder, and the people lose faith. Now, if you could just take a vote on us, I could leave and continue the hunt for the dangerous murder, The Jackal,"

Vesuvius frowned. This spokesperson... seemed to be more eager to catch this criminal than the others. Was there something this man knew that the rest of the congregation didn't? The Jackal hadn't really been brought up before. Why bring him up now?

Who was this Jackal, anyway?

"Could you take this vote please?" Thel said.

Olay, seriously, can you take the vote? I have Thel stuck here, and I can't bring him anywhere else, so if you approve them, or disapprove them, he can leave.

@Furamirionind, @Karnatheon, @Dr. Dapper need character names for registration.  

@Karnatheon you still have an unfilled TUBA seat.

@Darth Woodrack and @Grey Knight who is your choice for Rep for the Black Crusade?

@MetaTerminal and @MacThorstenson same question as above. Who is your rep going to be for the Craftsmen?