Republic of Alleycity

Lord Meeker

Head of Defense  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should a Head of Defense to manage the Precursors be elected?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

21 minutes ago, Sorana said:

The Precurser's: you stated, that they abduct people. But who gives the orders for that? If they work for the gov, then the gov should vote on whether they do this or not. You control them atm, not the government. Because right now, the gov as gov has no say in what they do.

I haven't controlled the Precursors. I had literally no say in their actions, that was Woodrack.

22 minutes ago, Sorana said:

What I see here, is, that we never really played with the mood in the city, we never meassured it. Some characters helped them, some didn't. So either we all agree, that the mood changed in that way, or it can't have done that. Just my opinion. I simply feel like this changes a lot of the overall setting, and for me this extreme change is really suddenly.

I disagree. This has been the general mood I've seen multiple people work with over the era. If you read the posts by Voidus, talking about "The Black Crusade returning to nuke us again" and that sort, you will see what I mean. And you can't forget the Thieves Guild. The majority of things still helping the people are anti-guild.

23 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Yes the Feind was caused by politics, but wars are always caused by politics. What I was aiming at, was that in every crisis it was tried to protect the normal people. They were given shelter, and they were always evacuated, it was always tried to protect them. In 7dW alone a huge part of characters did nothing but try to protect the people there.

But the guilds also released abominations into the city, creating the war in the first place.

Also, people still died in the nukes. They evacuated a lot, but there was only so much they could do. This is a massive city.

26 minutes ago, Sorana said:

And some things aren't right. The guilds did rebuilt the city after 7dW, we stated that cleary. They didn't manage everything, but they did rebuilt it. Otherwise it would still be in ruins. Then we have the hospital, which looks after everybody for free.

According to current worldbuilding, only the richer neighborhoods have electricity, or running water. The guilds started a hospital, yes. But that is in the richer part of the neighborhood, outside the crater. Not in the slums, where they don't even have roads.

29 minutes ago, Sorana said:

And the whole trader's Union was active for a few weeks, and then vanished completely. Yes, they were against the guilds, but that's it.

Ambrosia has still been actively working, using the funds of Alleyzon.

30 minutes ago, Sorana said:

The church also is focused on helping people.

Tell me, what exactly have they done for the people of Alleycity? I haven't seen anything. They live in a place many kilometers away, that's not helping.

2 minutes ago, Grey Knight said:

As an alternative explanation, it could be the blue mist that's driving people insane and causing riots. Maybe it's doing something similar to emotional Allomancy, Rioting the people's frustration and resentment far beyond normal levels.

Not what the mist does. It would make people scared, angry, and make what's already happening slightly worse.

Arguing this doesn't help, we obviously had a different headcanon here, and I really, really hate this ooc discussion about ic stuff that already happened.

My largest problem with the situation is the following:

When we agreed on the government, we said we would give it a try, to move the guilds more into the rp, and reduce the secret ooc planning in pms. The AV is based on guilds acting against each other, because that is, where it comes from. I'm not comfortable to use that against the setting. After 7dW we tried to create a city that allows different backgrounds and that combines differents episodes timewise, and now you use that against the setting. E.G. the slums, it was an ooc decision to have one, so that we could play these type of characters. The thieve's guild was just a gang, like the bloodflame gang is maybe. They weren't good, but they were just noral people.

For me the situation means, that now as guilds we are forced to act against our own population. And I am not comfortable with that. I was alright with nuking an evcuated city, but I'm not comfortable with mass-killing people at least my characters worked for. I am not comfortable with mass-killing anybody, and I feel like you create a situation where I am forced to order this. Which in the end at least a part of it has to be my decision, because I can either accept lots of GBs members getting killed, or I order them to kill civilians. I don't feel like I got a chance to really do something against this, because for me it appeared rather suddenly. And yes I followed the trader's union thread, but still.

I don't want to spoil everybody's fun, if you want to play it that way, then you can. The AV is a violent setting, but, at least I am not comfortable with an civil war, where I can't protect innocents.

EDIT:
If at least there was a chance to talk to them or something like this. But I don't feel like there is.

Edited by Sorana

I feel like the government is the people's best chance for fair representation.  Yes, it's not perfect, but it's better than the tyrannical guilds.  Rioting agains the government?  Not such a good idea.  After all, even if you do manage to overthrow it everything will just go back to the way it was.  At least now the guilds are trying.  The people of Alleycity aren't stupid, they realize this.  At least now there's a policing force and some measure of protection.  

Take this any way you will, I'm fine with whatever you decide.  Just take this into account.

The main thing I see is automatically assuming control of nearly the entire population without checking with anyone first. Mass panic is fine, but turning the city into what is essentially a militia under your control doesn't seem reasonable. I would also say that people would associate abominations with the DA, not the government, and the DA has been pretty vocal in their opposition to the government. 

I don't want to derail your plot, Ark, but I do want to maintain good rp and continuity.

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

Yes the Fiend was caused by politics, but wars are always caused by politics. What I was aiming at, was that in every crisis it was tried to protect the normal people. They were given shelter, and they were always evacuated, it was always tried to protect them. In 7dW alone a huge part of characters did nothing but try to protect the people there.

Two things. One: You misspelled Fiend. Doesn't really matter, but I wanted to point it out.

Two: It wasn't cause by guild politics, it was caused by Dusk hating Hellbent for murdering his family.

Thank you, Sorana and everyone else. 

Ark, if you're talking 1-2% of the population, then you're talking about the people only in this immediate area. This immediate area is not a slum - literally no government building are around poor neighborhoods, it's a typical thing. That 1-2% would be the rich who would only benefit from the government...

3 hours ago, Sorana said:

For me the situation means, that now as guilds we are forced to act against our own population. And I am not comfortable with that. I was alright with nuking an evcuated city, but I'm not comfortable with mass-killing people at least my characters worked for. I am not comfortable with mass-killing anybody, and I feel like you create a situation where I am forced to order this. Which in the end at least a part of it has to be my decision, because I can either accept lots of GBs members getting killed, or I order them to kill civilians. I don't feel like I got a chance to really do something against this, because for me it appeared rather suddenly. And yes I followed the trader's union thread, but still.

I don't want to spoil everybody's fun, if you want to play it that way, then you can. The AV is a violent setting, but, at least I am not comfortable with an civil war, where I can't protect innocents.

This is something as well. After SDW, a precedent was unofficially established that less innocents would have to be killed by us. Like Sorana, I don't want to kill them. They are something characters have worked for and to dump that out just like that for a main plot?

What is a book without the side plots? 

Straightforward and dull. The world building around them is what has helped this universe grow. To get rid of what doesn't work with one scenario is wrong.

The Alleyverse shouldn't revolve around the main plot. It is important and we've seen what happens without it, but to make a world without the other intricacies is to make a dead world.

Last night, I sat and thought about what would make this situation possible and basically came down to something similar to Grey. Either the fog is causing emotions to be Rioted or there are Rioters from the Bureau causing this. Otherwise there are too many gates being skipped and jumped.

Like before, feel free to ignore this as it has lots of opinion.

Just popping in here to say one thing, even if it is 1 out of every hundred people, there’s no way they would be able to organize into a mob and attack a government building without people finding out, particularly the guilds and the government who tend to watch out for this kind of stuff. This isn’t the Stone Age and at the very least they would have heard them coming down the street.

Also, you tend to need momentum to get people to riot, and 1% of the people just doesn’t have that sort of momentum.

If you look at big marches, protests, or riots, they tend to involve a group of people that’s larger than 1% of the population. 

I made a post talking about the momentum. Two actually.

They started in the slums, and have made their way down here.

I even said before they entered that their cries could be heard in the distance.

Hey Ark maybe make it so the mob is outside yelling and throwing bricks or something, which could eventually escalate to them storming the building, but this way characters would at least have a chance to diffuse the situation.

4 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

I made a post talking about the momentum. Two actually.

Sorry, that's not what I meant about momentum, but I don't know how else to describe it.

Momentum as in the momentum of a movement. People don't just start out rioting or marching, there is visible discontent in the populace far before the marching starts. 

For example, the civil rights movement. They didn't start off with a march, they had to build momentum over a lot of time. Even though those affected by discriminatory laws was some odd 15% of the population, they still didn't have the support to march on the government at the beginning. 

For a group that is around 1% of the population they would need even more time to drum up enough support to get people to riot to a government that hasn't done anything to hurt them but could very easily hurt them if they riot. 

You've mentioned that the people are mad that the guilds have the nerve to impose laws on them, I would ask where was this anger before? If this 1% was mad before hand, why didn't they display it by other small acts of rebellion?

It doesn't really make sense for the populace to spontaneously riot and risk their lives with no hope for reward. The government wasn't oppressing them, no ones oppressing them. Attacking large groups of people with guns isn't going to help them. You've mentioned that they are the poor as well, so they couldn't have had any hope of staging a coup.

As to why it is still a problem, people are upset that you assumed control of a significant portion of the population and had them exhibit completely new traits that contradict nearly everyone else's head cannon.