Republic of Alleycity

Lord Meeker

Head of Defense  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should a Head of Defense to manage the Precursors be elected?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, Voidus said:

People are very unlikely to have their characters thwarted or even really troubled by a random NPC who is part of an army. No matter how much power you give your mooks people are still going to see them as mooks when they're all standing next to each other in an army. In Era 1 the DA released a horde of monsters each of which was more powerful than the average character by a relatively substantial amount, didn't stop people mowing through them like a Jedi through a droid army. So the Precursors were probably going to be either ignored or treated as canon fodder and I feel like that's not the goal you had for them.

While I appreciate the star wars reference;), I disagree. Yes, the Basics, and all other soldiers will be mowed down quite easily, but there are only one super, and 2 hypers per army. Ergo, they aren't an army of mooks. It's an army of mooks and then three actual challenges. 

Anyways, the consent rule was when they were an independent guild. If they are a government group, if you break the rules, you get arrested. Of course, incredibly slow response times will be a problem;), but other than that, they will be there, unless it is requested by all involved parties, that they stay out of it. Pretty much, the opposite of the consent thing. 

I'm just asking that my pre existing police force be chosen as the police force. The debate is no longer, should we have a police force, but which police force. At least, I believe that is the debate. If I misunderstood everything that you said in the entire debate, I am sorry.

Even then, they'll likely either not be mentioned and assumed to be elsewhere, or still treated as though they were mooks only given 1 or two extra sentences to describe the fight. Not saying that they are mooks but that's likely how they'll be perceived which means you're either going to have to change them to not be NPCs (In which case you'd need permission for having a group of OP characters) Or accept that people are probably going to kill them in ways you'd consider unrealistic.

The only death that I can think of as being unrealistic is if they destroy the Super, without trying. They re supposed to be fairly easy to destroy. They are really here to be a back up group, and people to fight gangs. They are also an excuse as to why people are hunting criminals. They are a plot device, and they will be showing up. Someone controls the lot, they control what they Precursors do in that plot, unless one of the leaders are there to command them. What I see you arguing is to why we shouldn't even have a police force, when, unless I misunderstood something, we will have a police force. I am simply asking if that police force can be the Precursors.

This is one of those situations where the longer this discussion goes the less relevant my point it, but essentially I have no objection to a police force existing, I just think they'll be incredibly ineffective and unlikely to ever be relevant to a scene beyond some mooks to instantly and effortlessly kill to show off how badchull a character is. If that's what you want to happen to the Precursors then I don't have any particular objections it just feels like a lot of energy and unnecessary detail to spend on something that is unlikely to feature much. But I feel like that's probably not the vision that you have for them and I don't think that what you want to happen is likely to happen even if the Precursors were accepted.

It's like if someone asked if there could be a building in Alleycity that had brown bricks, a red tin roof, a rose garden with 13 white roses and 5 red roses and it was a Ghostblood hideout. I don't actually have any problem with that whatsoever but the fact that they asked implies they want those details to be mentioned occasionally at the least and I think if that was approved then everyone other than the person who proposed it would almost definitely just ignore the existence of that building.

Again, I also don't think that any policing force is going to be effective or relevant particularly, but other people at least support the concept of one so that means some people might at least try to interact with them. My suspicion is that those interactions will essentially be limited to 'I break the law and then when the cops show up I Steelpush a bunch of bat symbols into them, killing all 30 of them along with their leader and then fly away into the night because I'm batman', with no particular care given to who the police force is, how strong they are, a realistic fight, or what they actually even look like.

An embassy of DA lawyers and political leaders walked into the room. Now that they outnumbered the other people in the room, they began conducting the meeting.

"Well, it appears that the other guilds haven't shown up to this meeting. Considering that they clearly don't care about the government, I think that we should ban them from participating. Let's put it to a vote."

The DA representatives all raised their hand. 

"Ok, the DA gets 2 seats because we are clearly a great guild. We constitute over half of the guilds represented. The motion is passed."

Seriously, the DA will take over the government if no one shows up. This is just terrible attendance by the other guilds.

Edited by MacThorstenson

Of course, there was a very important guild leader there, only he represented his own guild, so he didn't get to vote in anything.

All he got was a T-shirt and a free seat with the rest of the audience.

Well, the t-shirt was from the government, but the free seat was earned by his imposing, tall figure and his metal arm.

People always give up their seats for a guy with a metal arm. 

"OK, so now we are moving to turn the government into a theocracy that worships Voidus. I will be the temporary high priest until we can sort out our theology. All in favor please raise their hand."

The DA delegation raised their hands.

"Well good. We don't need you guys anymore." The lawyers compared notes making sure that the takeover was legal. They gave the thumbs up and the rest of the delegation left except for 2 DA inquisitors.

The faint echo of a door being opened and shut in a rush could be heard from one end of the hall. The pattering of sandalled feet imposed upon the silence of the room, as a man rushed forward.

Realizing that he was being anything but unobtrusive, the man slowed down, and resumed walking toward his seat, a collection of notes and other papers clutched in his arms.

"My apologies! My watch was soaked through this morning in the rain, and it hasn't kept accurate time since. I had intended to be hours early to prepare, but it turns out I'm late of course."

The man rushed to his seat, one of 2 assigned to the TUBA representatives. "It seems my associate is also running late." Hearing what was going on with the DA members, the man was taken aback. "I'm sorry to intrude, but I don't believe the DA was included in the list of registered guilds. Did you go through the proper channels with Idos? I believe he was going to be running the session today."

Edited by Karnatheon

Vesuvius sighed. It would have been fun to see the DA take over. As far as he could tell, the DA was the only guild with any sense around here.

Besides his own, of course, but apparently, his guild didn't count.

A fact that made Vesuvius angry just to think about.

He held himself back before he vaulted into the meeting area and insulted them all for their stupidity. They would find out about it soon, anyway. It takes more than 'ideas' to run a country.

"Um, I don't think you can do that. There are rules in place for that sort of thing. I have them listed here somewhere." Saying this the man began searching through his collection of unruly papers. "I'm really not sure where everyone is. I expected more people to be here by now."

Vesuvius smiled, leaning back in his seat. He knew his tall body would obstruct the view for someone behind him, but he didn't care. Eventually, everyone would learn to just give him space.

But, maybe... maybe they'd need someone to fill in. The leader of a worse-than-minor guild, perhaps?

Vesuvius paused, then raised his metal arm. From the shoulder, it was about five feet long/tall.

"Excuse me," he called out in his distinctive mechanical voice, "I am present, when other guilds, that call themselves 'superior', are not. Does that mean I, as you have done, could 'fill in' for them?"

A gateway opened behind the lectern and Ciera Jigdens walked out. 

"In accordance with the Oasis Accords, there must be a minimum of three guilds represented before any voting can actually take place. The DA also did not sign the Accords, therefore they forfeit the right to have seats on the Senate, advisory or otherwise. You weren't there, you don't get to have a say. Sorry."

Edited by Dr. Dapper

“Well the oasis accords list no such minimum guild requirement. 

And none of the other guilds are here, so none of them get a say. You don’t even belong to a guild, so you don’t get a say either.”

They aren’t leaving until some legitimate delegates from more than just the great guilds show up and try to call the meeting to order. Even then they still may not, they like being in charge.