Republic of Alleycity

Lord Meeker

Head of Defense  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should a Head of Defense to manage the Precursors be elected?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Sebastian stood at the center of a large chamber. In front of him stood the podium which one could address the Senate. Today-rather tonight- there was supposed to be meeting. How many members would show up was the question. There was two crescent tables on either side of him, The podium pointed towards a large desk where the chancellor would sit. That was the nature of the meeting tonight was to elect such a person. Behind him were rose of benches for people who wanted watch the senate when they carried out public sessions. He wore his regular regal clothing, that he would probably wear to the meeting, as he was one of the Senate Representatives for the Gilded Rose. 

Sebastian turned his back to the podium and towards the figure that stood at the door. Lena, a new acquaintance of his. If his plan was to succeed then he needed her skills. He tapped his cheek thoughtfully. He walked to the woman who stood at the door. A note was posted there. The time for the meeting. Seven-Thirty o'clock ACT, (Alley Central Time). He took a list from his pocket and review what was to take place in their meeting.

Note

Spoiler

Topics to be discussed:

Taxation

Infrastructure

Census

Nominating non-elected government positions 

Defense

Starting impeachment proceedings

Justice system

Spending

Appointing the Chancellor

"Would you be so kind as to accompany me to the State Penitentiary, My Lady?" He asked holding out his arm. "I must make a visit to a friend of mine."

Alright here is the official post for our AlleyGov.

Here are the Rules that went into effect with the Republic.

• Each Great Guild has two seats, depending upon vote, in the Senate of Alleyversial Republic, with each minor guild receiving one seat.
  • The Chancellor is appointed from and by the Senate
  •  Laws and decisions are made by majority rule of the Senate
  • Ties are broken by the Chancellor's intervention, but the Chancellor gets no other vote
  • The Senate can impeach the Chancellor by a unanimous vote, and if convicted of felony or high crime, Chancellor is removed from office and punished by law.
  • In the temporary absence of a Chancellor, ties are broken by popular vote.
  • In the temporary absence of a senator, the Chancellor votes in their place.

Senate abilities

Taxation

Infrastructure

Census

Nominating non-elected government positions 

Defense

Starting impeachment proceedings

Justice system

Spending

Appointing the Chancellor

List of Senators. Guilds must register with me!

List:

Gilded Rose: Idos Sebastian Ainz (@Lord Meeker)

Tuba: Character (@Karnatheon) and Character

Ghostbloods: Wes (@I think I am here.) and Ciera Jigdens (@Dr. Dapper)

Keepers: Character  (@Furamirionind) and Pry (@Silva)

Canton of Combat: Astiel (@Nohadon)

The Black Crusade: Character (@Grey Knight)

Unregistered:

Minor Guilds: The Craftsmen, The Black Crusade

Senators, Guilds are able to chose from:

TUBA: Xinoehp, Axelius, Karnatheon, Bitbitio, Silva, Steel Inquisitive, Stormblessed Dolphin, The Thinking Herald, Sudiov, Chasmfiend#1

Ghostbloods: Sorana, Itiah, AonEne, Life&Death, Gancho Libre, BooksBeforeDeath, The Forgetful Archivist, Dr. Dapper

The Keepers: Furamirionind, Ark1002, Ookla the Palindrome, Ken Kaneki, FeurBrisinger

The Craftsmen: Mac, Meta

The Black Crusade: Darth, Grey Knight

The Diagramists: King Taravangian

Canton of Combat: Nohadon, Minato Rising

Thanks for posting this, Meeker.

TUBA's point-man for government matters will be @Karnatheon. I'll leave registering the guild to him, as well as possibly adding a few new members to our official tally. Additionally, if anyone wants to contact our guild to hold behind the scenes discussions, he's the man to message. Good luck governmenting, everyone!

16 hours ago, Lord Meeker said:

@Gancho Yes, I know, but For one if doesn't count as a minor guild because you were the only member...

Ok, sorry. But if possible, I'd like my official audience seat in the Alleycity Government Room to be as far away from the GBs as possible.

Also, I realize you got a lot of stuff to do now with your life, so you can ignore this post.

Actually, @MetaTerminal Is the Diagramist representative.  I will still be present for most of the government functions though.

@Lord Meeker@MetaTerminal

Edited by King Taravangian
Apparently you can't mention people in quote boxes.

Just to be sure, we are using the Precursors as the police force? They already exist, and I made them as a police force before we made the government. I would also like to point out, and I'm just pointing this out, there is no murderous anger here, but most of the same people who were against the Precursors, were all for the literal same thing, when it came from a different person. And it really makes me angry and makes me feel like you guys are just hellbent on going against everything I. Just pointing this out.

3 things, the first is that I am generally opposed to other people having the capacity to limit what I want to do in any way. A natural extension of this is that I am opposed to any armies that I do not control.

Second, I think that that should be done in character.

Third, I think that This should move to be in character, a

Edited by MacThorstenson

Likewise, my personal reasons for not liking the idea of the precursors as a policing force is mainly that it would be controlled by a single person and that's likely to cause issues. It also means that it's intrinsically difficult for other people to engage with which means it's going to be a little janky to fit it into the world.
I felt like it was shaping up to be just another plot that one person was excited about but then everyone else wasn't really involved so it sort of fizzled out.

The main issue with the Precursors was that there wasn't a central government, or plans for one, which would mean that laws would either be enforced on the player without their consent, or the lack of enforcement (because of lack of consent), would have made the police force seem like a joke who cannot enforce anything against stronger criminals and would serve only as cannon fodder.

2 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Likewise, my personal reasons for not liking the idea of the precursors as a policing force is mainly that it would be controlled by a single person and that's likely to cause issues. It also means that it's intrinsically difficult for other people to engage with which means it's going to be a little janky to fit it into the world.
I felt like it was shaping up to be just another plot that one person was excited about but then everyone else wasn't really involved so it sort of fizzled out.

I founded the Precursors. Clyde Cloggins, and Axelius the Great have equal standing as I do. I am the only one that has used them, but that is because they are not official. You just put them in the governments cities, and when someone breaks the law, a member stops them. They wouldn't have to do a very good job, if the person doesn't want them to, but they would still be there.

Thel walked in, looked around, and sat down in the seat marked 'Police Force Representatives' and waited.

4 minutes ago, kenod said:

The main issue with the Precursors was that there wasn't a central government, or plans for one, which would mean that laws would either be enforced on the player without their consent, or the lack of enforcement (because of lack of consent), would have made the police force seem like a joke who cannot enforce anything against stronger criminals and would serve only as cannon fodder.

Okay. I did say it would only work with player consent, and the Hypers/Supers were out in so they wouldn't be cannon fodder, but okay.

Just now, Darth Woodrack said:

Okay. I did say it would only work with player consent, and the Hypers/Supers were out in so they wouldn't be cannon fodder, but okay.

That's kind of the issue, since if people don't give consent, which lets face it, people with larger plot arch for their villains probably won't, your police force won't be doing anything against these big threads, which at least IC will make them seem ineffective. And most people wouldn't like for their character to be taken down by a bunch of NPCs, so if they agree to fight the police force they'd probably first want to make sure that they'll defeat said police, which means either creating a reason for the Hypers/Supers not to be there, or to have them be defeated.

Also, the fact that most places didn't have any established laws to begin with probably also didn't help, with the only place with an actual code of law being the Citadel.

1 minute ago, Darth Woodrack said:

I founded the Precursors. Clyde Cloggins, and Axelius the Great have equal standing as I do. I am the only one that has used them, but that is because they are not official. You just put them in the governments cities, and when someone breaks the law, a member stops them. They wouldn't have to do a very good job, if the person doesn't want them to, but they would still be there.

I didn't hear enough support or backing from any other players to make me think they would interact with it enough to make it meaningful. As I've mentioned even when the government started the DA isn't going to be accepting any authority from outside sources so it would have been meaningless against one of the largest groups of people likely to break 'laws' (Which didn't really exist at the time) and I doubt the GBs would have been any more likely to accept it.

I feel like they might have provided a backdrop to scenes occasionally ('Oh look! That thief is being arrested by Precursors! Anyway back to our plot what we were discussing.') but would rarely if ever have been involved in the actual plot of anything in any meaningful way.
People are very unlikely to have their characters thwarted or even really troubled by a random NPC who is part of an army. No matter how much power you give your mooks people are still going to see them as mooks when they're all standing next to each other in an army. In Era 1 the DA released a horde of monsters each of which was more powerful than the average character by a relatively substantial amount, didn't stop people mowing through them like a Jedi through a droid army. So the Precursors were probably going to be either ignored or treated as canon fodder and I feel like that's not the goal you had for them.

If I'm being honest I'm not sure that the government is going to go any better but it does at least have widespread player approval so people will at least interact with it actively for a while and even if it's completely ineffective as a government then it'll still at least be somewhere for characters to interact with each other.

@Sorana I thought, personally, that they were elected from the senate, then that guild could additionally place a new member on Senate. Though this can change. I think, personally, that anyone can have the chance, but need to be elected by Senate.

@Furamirionind@Silva, @Karnatheon, @Dr. Dapper, and @MetaTerminal, I need character names for official registrar.

@kenod Elected in character.

8 minutes ago, Voidus said:

like a Jedi through a droid army.

Or like...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler