SA 4 & 5 outlining up to 40%

platnumkid

• 2 weeks later...
  • platnumkid changed the title to SA 4 & 5 outlining up to 40%

Soooo excited too!

Also I finally realized that I could edit the Title of this thread.  I want to change it to our new status.  But people keep bring this back alive as we get updates, it's almost become our official status tracking thread and I don't want people to lose it.

PM with your opinion on if I should update the title.

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I hate the outlining bar. I always see Stormlight on 90 percent and get incredibly happy, and sees that its not the first draft bar...

The outlining bar always makes me a little nervous.  He said before he started writing that he needed to finish the outline for books 4 and 5 prior to writing 4 so that he would know what events go in each book and preventing plots from changing and moving around similar to pulling Dalinar's book up from 5th to 3rd.  That made a huge amount of sense to me especially in context of some of the things in the middle and later parts of OB that felt a little less cohesive than WoK, WoR, and the first part of OB.  I don't know how to put this into words, but it's just a feeling I got when reading OB.  I think a lot of people have taken notice of this based on discussions on this board, including Sanderson himself based on his outlining plan.

The fact that he didn't finish the outline before writing SA4 has always made me wonder why he changed his mind.  If he doesn't feel he's completed the outline does that mean there's a chance he'll decide he painted himself into a corner for SA4 or SA5 and need to make a late change?  In reality, it's probably that there are just a few of the smaller plot points that he hasn't fully fleshed out or something like that.  Obviously, he knows what he's doing and he's a better author than I will ever be, but it still makes me wonder. 

On 10/3/2019 at 10:18 AM, agrabes said:

In reality, it's probably that there are just a few of the smaller plot points that he hasn't fully fleshed out or something like that. 

I think you nailed it with this part of your comment.  92% outlining of both books is a lot of outlining marked as completed.  He's probably just leaving some wiggle room to see how the details of some story threads play out as he actually writes them, and then will decide if they belong in book 4 or 5.  If we are lucky this may even mean that the first draft of book 5 will begin at a few % right off that bat, but lets not get ahead of ourselves =p

I totally agree. Outline of SA 4&5 at 92% is good enough I think. You have leave some scope for Little changes here and there. It may be that SA4 is 3% left and SA 5 5-6% left

in fact that hopefully means that SA 5 will take him much shorter time. In fact he may have a very very good idea on a rough draft for SA5

i was never following him  when he was writing earlier so I am curious, how many drafts does he go through before SA 4 reaches final draft. 

His starsight was like draft 5 ?

On 2019-10-05 at 8:14 AM, The traveller said:

I totally agree. Outline of SA 4&5 at 92% is good enough I think. You have leave some scope for Little changes here and there. It may be that SA4 is 3% left and SA 5 5-6% left

in fact that hopefully means that SA 5 will take him much shorter time. In fact he may have a very very good idea on a rough draft for SA5

i was never following him  when he was writing earlier so I am curious, how many drafts does he go through before SA 4 reaches final draft. 

His starsight was like draft 5 ?

I think he generally does four or five. The final ones usually go quite quickly. First draft is the slow one, and after that things get sped up. 

Also, for Stormlight I think he does first and second drafts at the same time. When he finishes one part he sends it to his editor, and then the editor sends it back, and Brandon edits it. So second draft is already partially done (someone correct me if I got this wrong).