Left Handers Club

4 hours ago, Invocation said:

Yay! Thanks! For what it's worth, I started out as a lefty but got forced to learn to use my right hand.

Then of course you can join! I'm sorry your hand was brainwashed by those righty overlords.

So what do you think is the most annoying thing about being left handed?

Oh my goodness, that always happens to me. It's kind of annoying.

What about when you have a right handed person sitting to the left of you at a table and you constantly bump elbows with them.

What's your favorite part about being left handed?

5 minutes ago, Daybone said:

What about when you have a right handed person sitting to the left of you at a table and you constantly bump elbows with them.

That's pretty bad, too, not gonna lie.

5 minutes ago, Daybone said:

What's your favorite part about being left handed?

The weird looks I get when doing things people normally don't do left-handed.

I'm left-handed too.

Best thing ever is trying to convert other lefties to the pleasures of making checks the proper way - the long end should be on the left, not the right. Worst part is scissors and computer mice and getting graphite on my hand when I'm writing.

On 1/28/2019 at 7:47 PM, Daybone said:

Explain.

Is no one joining because of my punctuation error or is it just that no Sanderson fans are left handed*?!

*Out of my 21 person sample size (not counting one left handed person and one ambidextrous person)

I'd like to use my 200th post to celebrate the above post being my 100th post.

On 1/28/2019 at 6:03 PM, Silva said:

Worst part is scissors and computer mice and getting graphite on my hand when I'm writing.

Can't help with the scissors (though I hear there are scissors for lefties, but I've never seen/used them) or graphite, but if you've got a computer mouse that fits either hand, you can change the orientation to left-handed. I used to work a desk job and tried that out on a whim, and now it's the first thing I do with a computer only I will use.

I think the worst thing about being left handed/left side dominant is the fact that we live in a right-side dominant world. Not just with items, but I've come across a lot of terms that have different meanings for left-dominant people than right-dominant (particularly in sports), and they're used almost exclusively in the right-dominant way, so when a left-dominant person uses them, they have to explain further what they mean.

For example, snowboarding. Your dominant foot should be in the back, and those who board like that are "regular". Those who board with their dominant foot forward are "goofy". But a lot of people (right-dominant people) define regular exclusively as left-foot forward and goofy as right-foot forward. So if I tell someone I'm goofy, they'll think I'm right foot forward. But no, I'm left. So it looks like I'm regular, but I'm actually goofy.

The best part is almost an addendum to the worst. Because we live in a right-dominant world, we have to learn to use both hands, increasing the dexterity of the right hand. I would wager that the average leftie has more dexterity in their non-dominant hand than the average rightie. If I were to break my left arm, I would still be able to do just about anything I would need to, without needing to relearn those tasks for a different hand. I have many rightie friends who could not say the same thing.