Odd Job Tavern

Invocation

6 minutes ago, Sorana said:

The woman turned her head and looked at the young girl that had sat down next to her. She looked at her for a moment and then inclined her head in greeting, placed one of the sheets of paper on the bar next to her glass and waited for her reaction.

She picked it up and raised an eyebrow at the woman. "Three sentences. And not even well formulated ones at that. Not my best work." Then she put it back down and slid the paper back in front of the woman."What, exactly, do you want?" Eve asked. 

Just now, Silva said:

She picked it up and raised an eyebrow at the woman. "Three sentences. And not even well formulated ones at that. Not my best work." Then she put it back down and slid the paper back in front of the woman."What, exactly, do you want?" Eve asked. 

"It seems like you might be willing to oppose Plasma Core."

The woman stated, careful to talk about possibilities, and not facts.

"I might be able to offer you some support."

10 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"I might be able to offer you some support."

It was times like these that she needed Light. Light was the one that thought big. Who saw solutions. Eve just saw the issues. But she didn't have Light with her at the moment.

"What would you want in return?" Barely ever was anything given out of the goodness of a person's heart and she'd rather know up front.

11 minutes ago, Silva said:

It was times like these that she needed Light. Light was the one that thought big. Who saw solutions. Eve just saw the issues. But she didn't have Light with her at the moment.

"What would you want in return?" Barely ever was anything given out of the goodness of a person's heart and she'd rather know up front.

"Work against Plasma Core. Rally the people, open their eyes. Maybe add a message or two of mine as well."

7 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"Work against Plasma Core. Rally the people, open their eyes. Maybe add a message or two of mine as well."

Of course. A like minded person, but likely with a fairly different strategy to accomplish their goal.

"I'll have to turn you down then," she said calmly, continuing to speak before the woman would have a chance to respond. "I will not endorse the encouragement of telling a people to enter a conflict in a way they can not win." 

Eve very strongly disliked the people who thought like that. She'd learned at an early age that to succeed she couldn't use the same methods as them. The ignorant, however,  never realized. Blinded by fantasies and realities that would never be. To rally is to create a mob. And a mob doesn't think strategically. Mobs went head on into impossible fights. Impossible fights they would lose and be killed in.

"I'm sorry, but no."

She knew it was possible she was making the biggest mistake of her life by turning this woman over, but she could not knowingly harm the people she knew and loved.

Just now, Silva said:

Of course. A like minded person, but likely with a fairly different strategy to accomplish their goal.

"I'll have to turn you down then," she said calmly, continuing to speak before the woman would have a chance to respond. "I will not endorse the encouragement of telling a people to enter a conflict in a way they can not win." 

Eve very strongly disliked the people who thought like that. She'd learned at an early age that to succeed she couldn't use the same methods as them. The ignorant, however,  never realized. Blinded by fantasies and realities that would never be. To rally is to create a mob. And a mob doesn't think strategically. Mobs went head on into impossible fights. Impossible fights they would lose and be killed in.

"I'm sorry, but no."

She knew it was possible she was making the biggest mistake of her life by turning this woman over, but she could not knowingly harm the people she knew and loved.

The woman bit down on her lip and lifted her hands in defeat. She was surprised, but then you never knew with the independents. What next? What might me a good course to take? Failure was so close to success sometimes.

She pulled out a small piece of paper on wrote something down.

"I don't need the people of this city to rush to their doors and fight. There are better fitting ressources for that. I need for them to know what is happening there, what PlasmaCore is doing. I don't want them to turn on those opposing the company."

Pushing the paper over to the girl she added.

"If you ever find yourself in a situation where you need some help. We might be able to offer it."

There was no need to tell her, that they would request some payment, everybody wanted some payment.

4 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"If you ever find yourself in a situation where you need some help. We might be able to offer it."

She picked up the paper and pocketed it. She didn't like the way this woman talked, always changing to try and sound appealing. But the woman had let something slip.

"Who is "we"?" she asked, trying to sound innocently curious.

8 minutes ago, Silva said:

She picked up the paper and pocketed it. She didn't like the way this woman talked, always changing to try and sound appealing. But the woman had let something slip.

"Who is "we"?" she asked, trying to sound innocently curious.

"If you are good, you might find out."

The woman emptied her drink, but didn't leave yet.

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

"If you are good, you might find out."

The woman emptied her drink, but didn't leave yet.

Eve narrowed her eyes. Again, she wished Light were. Light would have known what to say.

She hopped off her stool, putting her just below the woman's eyeline. Everyone always said that stronger positions were found on the top. Eve begged to differ. 

"You're saying, you talked to my friend, got him to get me to meet with you, all so your mystery group could offer support?" she said. "Then, when I say no because your method sounds ineffective and prone to failure, you change your strategy to make it seem like you've got more power to accomplish goals. I ask if there actually is any backing to your words and all you respond is that if I'm good I might find out. Again, making it sound like I'm already agreeing to do whatever you say." She paused. "Yet even after all of this, I still haven't gotten any word out of you as to why you and your mystery group are willing and wanting to oppose PlasmaCore. All you've said is that you want the people to know what's happening in there. That's easy to accomplish if you're as resourceful as it seems you've been claiming.

"So here are my three questions for you, why is that your goal, why hasn't it been accomplished, and what do you want me to do about that?" 

4 minutes ago, Silva said:

"So here are my three questions for you, why is that your goal, why hasn't it been accomplished, and what do you want me to do about that?" 

The woman sighed. She'd really messed this up. She was bad at this. Really bad. Why did she have to be in this department right now.

"The goal is to stop PlasmaCore. We are working on accomplishing it and like I said, I liked your approach."

She made a helpless gesture.

"I'm not good at this. I liked your approach, some many of your papers vanished, I figured the people might listen to you."

1 minute ago, Sorana said:

"I'm not good at this. I liked your approach, some many of your papers vanished, I figured the people might listen to you."

"They don't listen so much as take a minute to read or talk." Her face was impassive, though she was pleased with herself for flustering the poor woman. It was progress. "But you still haven't answered the why."

18 minutes ago, Silva said:

"They don't listen so much as take a minute to read or talk." Her face was impassive, though she was pleased with herself for flustering the poor woman. It was progress. "But you still haven't answered the why."

"Because it's wrong."

The woman made a helpless gesture.

"Because they might cause a second guild war."

5 hours ago, Nohadon said:

Bel laughed as Alson's ears turned pink.

"Two, please" He told the barkeep. 

"How much would it be?" Bel added.

Malu chuckled at the reactions. "Two beds comes in at one firemark a night. You get the benefit of a meal included with that price, one a day, non-transferable and non-stackable."

8 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Preventing a second guild war. Now that was something she could get behind.

"The people can't destroy a research facility," Eve said. "at least not in a way that could stop anything."

16 hours ago, Invocation said:

Malu palmed the chips, replacing them with infused ones of the same variety, pouring a glass of water with his other hand. "Here you go."

13 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Nultūk started to walk out of the tavern, swigging water on his way. He choked, however, at mention of a guild war. Silently coughing up water, he made his way over to the two woman sitting at the table. He hastily began signing to his spren, who began to speak. "I heard mention of a guild war," she said. "Which guilds, and how can it be stopped?" Nultūk had heard the stories of guild wars. He knew the destruction they could bring.

Malu heard the mention of a guild war and became a little intrigued. Katki, please go listen to that conversation about the potential guild war and pass me the information when it's over. This could be very bad.

"Yes boss!" Katki whispered, sliding over to the conversationalists. 

The woman noted how the words suddenly got her ghe attention of several people.

"Alright, this is Alleycity we are talking about. We have the Dark Alley, TUBA, the Church, Ghostbloods, Diagramists and lots of others."

She used her hands to strengthen her words.

"Now a new company arrives and asks them for money. None made a commitment so far. Do you really think, they will let them take away a part of their power? That they accept a new big player as easily?"

She shook her head.

"I don't think so. We have managed a fragile balance, we had years of peace, years without a guild war like the Seven Day War. For me they are a danger to that, to the city, the people. They promise power, money. You know as well as I do, that they will find enough to follow their call."

Pausing she gestured for another drink.

"The question is, who will pay the price."

@Truthless of Shinovar

@Silva

@Invocation

A small ball of light floated up to the door. Closed, he thought with a sigh. He hated going through doors. He flew around the building, trying to see if any windows were open. Sadly, none were.

Nothing for it, then, he thought. Bracing himself, he jumped quickly into the window and then out again on the other side.

He sank to the table on the other side, feeling stretched.

11 minutes ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

"And what company might that be?" Nultūk's spren asked.

"PlasmaCore. They held this huge party a few days ago."

Thread: A shadowed dawn. The main plot. according to Ark the next thread will come soon.

13 minutes ago, Sorana said:

"The question is, who will pay the price."

"No one wants another war, but that doesn't mean people aren't already anticipating it." She ignored the others who'd crowded around.

Eve moved in a circle, starting to pace. "Beneath our very feet are tunnels. Tunnels filled with people. The anticipate the war on the surface and some have left the surface. True, they will be the most hurt, but it will be less so this time.

"These past weeks I've been among them, convincing them to either rebuild somewhere safer on the outskirts or below. Some listen. Some don't. The arrival of PlasmaCore won't make a difference. They see it like anything else. The guilds, Investiture. Just another threat to live with.

"We have no proof that PlasmaCore will get enough support. The DA wouldn't support a competing Hemalurgic research group. TUBA doesn't condone what they do. The Church won't want to get involved. The only guild stupid enough to give support to a wildcard like PlasmaCore would be the Ghostbloods.

"So say the Ghostbloods give support. Then what? That'll cause all out war?

"There already are those commited to working on developing the city. There's the Alleyzon. There was some art place. There are all sorts of Investiture related shops. 

"Yes, there is a possibility. Yes, we can't ignore it. It's good to be suspicious, it's good to think ahead. But, no, we can't cause all out panic over a company coming."

She gestured to the man who'd come over at the mention of a guild war. "Talking like it is already upon us is what will cause it to be upon us.

"I'm in agreeance with you on almost everything, though. Even if at times it doesn't seem like it."

Eve wondered how it looked, a five foot teenage girl wearing borrowed clothing too big on her pacing across the floor talking as though the world depended on it.

Nultūk paused for a moment, thinking. He was new to the Alleyverse. Was this really what he wanted? To go and fight a battle he knew hardly anything about? His own life would be at stake, and he wasn't for sure if he was ready for combat. But... storms, this was a guild war. If he did nothing people would die, and he couldn't let that happen. Nultūk looked up at his spren, and gave a nod. "We're in," his spren said. "If the threat ever becomes too big, give us a call and we'll be there."

Edited by Truthless of Shinovar

The woman nodded.

"Not even the Ghostbloods support them. I heard they send a messenger declining the company's request."

She sighed.

"You're right and your words are true. maybe I worry to much. The Dark Alley more or less controls their creatures. If they want to, that is. PlasmaCore is a Wildcard. We don't know if they are able to contain their creations."

"But yes, you are right. Maybe it is to esrly to worry about them. Let them be eaten by the tigers."

Her eyes met the one who so easily had said yes.

"She is right. There is no war yet. Maybe they can avoid it. You are new to this city, aren't you?"

@Silva

@Truthless of Shinovar

@Invocation

The seon floated nearby, listening in. Interesting, he thought.

He opened a channel with the seon he'd met earlier (the one that belonged to a TUBA leader- what was her name?) and sent what he had overheard so far.