Odd Job Tavern

Invocation

5 hours ago, Invocation said:

"I'll see what I can find," Malu says, turning around to inspect his bottles. "This might work. A mixed drink that will more-or-less land halfway in strength between Horneater white and Alethkar violet."

"Thank you."

Lena placed some chrysts on the bar and took the drink. Looking over her shoulder she saw that the butler indeed had followed her. Grimacing she turned back to the barkeeper, took a sip from the drink and smiled.

"I'm Lena. And that drink is perfect."

Lita pulled her glasses down to the tip of her nose and burned tin, eyeing the tavern door over the rims of her round spectacles.

They said this was the place, she thought, clutching her fur wrap tighter with a slight shiver.

She tapped brass and some warmth trickled back into her body, chasing the tin-enhanced cold out of her bones. Lita settled a little deeper into her wrap, sensitive skin feeling the myriad tiny holes that moths had eaten into the soft mink fur. She needed a job, or it would be more moth holes and more cold and definitely no more imported Scadrian wine. With a tiny huff, she pushed open the door and ducked inside. It was surprisingly crowded, especially up at the bar, but the atmosphere was more welcoming than she had expected. 

Lita walked up to the barkeep, setting a few chrysts onto the counter. "Do you have anything warm back there, by chance?"

9 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Lita walked up to the barkeep, setting a few chrysts onto the counter. "Do you have anything warm back there, by chance?"

"I have a lot that will make you feel warm inside, that's for sure, but if you're talking about temperature, I have some choc and some cider available."

Edited by Invocation

Just now, Invocation said:

I have a lot that will make you feel warm inside, that's for sure, but if you're talking about temperature, I have some choc and some cider available.

Lita felt a smile slip onto her face.

"I'd love some choc," she said, recalling the first time she had tasted the sweet, earthy drink. It wasn't quite the taste of home, not her home - not Elendel. But it was the taste of good company.

Lita looked over the tavern's occupants, noticing a woman drinking some kind of light-purple concoction like it was her solemn duty. She could smell it from where she stood, tin letting her pick up the sharp sting of intoxicating drink.

"That kind of day, is it?" Lita said casually, tipping her head at the woman's cup.

@Sorana

14 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"I'd love some choc," she said, recalling the first time she had tasted the sweet, earthy drink. It wasn't quite the taste of home, not her home - not Elendel. But it was the taste of good company.

"Here you go." A cup of choc is put down in front of you.

1 minute ago, Invocation said:

"Here you go." A cup of choc is put down in front of you.

"Thank you," Lita said, sipping the hot liquid. She nestled deeper into her fur wrap, savoring the taste. Was there anything better than eating while burning tin? There were so many flavors in food that she could never have picked up without it. 

"So," she said, setting down the cup. "I hear this is the place to advertise for hire. Where might I do that?"

Just now, Sorana said:

Lena looked up.

"Yes."

She sighed.

"I'm Lena. Nice to meet you."

Lita raised an eyebrow, taking another sip of her choc. It was rare she met someone with a name even close to her own. She gave the tavern another glance, half-expecting someone named Lora or Lana to jump out of the woodwork and introduce themselves as well.

"And you," she said. "I'm Lita. Never been here before, but word on the street is this is the place to get a job when your skillset is... less than conventional."

5 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Lita raised an eyebrow, taking another sip of her choc. It was rare she met someone with a name even close to her own. She gave the tavern another glance, half-expecting someone named Lora or Lana to jump out of the woodwork and introduce themselves as well.

"And you," she said. "I'm Lita. Never been here before, but word on the street is this is the place to get a job when your skillset is... less than conventional."

Lena nodded.

"I have to admit, I'm only here for a drink. But yes, you can get a job here."

She gestured towards the butler, that accompanied her.

"He even sent his butler to follow me."

Shaking her head she smiled at Lita.

"Are you from here, or from a different world?"

1 minute ago, Sorana said:

Lena nodded.

"I have to admit, I'm only here for a drink. But yes, you can get a job here."

She gestured towards the butler, that accompanied her.

"He even sent his butler to follow me."

Shaking her head she smiled at Lita.

"Are you from here, or from a different world?"

Lita chewed her lip a bit, the pain sharper and cleaner with her tin on, and looked at the woman. She seemed pleasant, but there was a subtle undercurrent of danger about her.

No different than everyone else in this rusting city, she thought.

"Scadrial," she finally said. "From the Basin."

Lita glanced at the butler, impressed. "This fellow must have it bad for you," she said. "Most men that court me usually just send flowers, not servants."

29 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Lita glanced at the butler, impressed. "This fellow must have it bad for you," she said. "Most men that court me usually just send flowers, not servants."

Lena laughed.

"He's not interested in that way. I'm an asset, he wants to keep."

"I'm from Sel, originally. But I've lived here for a few years."

Just now, Sorana said:

Lena laughed.

"He's not interested in that way. I'm an asset, he wants to keep."

"I'm from Sel, originally. But I've lived here for a few years."

Lita nodded. Assets. She'd poisoned the first man who had used her as an asset, and then she'd run headlong into the employ of a dozen others.

"I've heard Sel is beautiful," Lita said, "but dangerous to get to. Something about dead gods?"

She wiggled her fingers through the air.

"Anyway, I don't suppose you know someone who could use an excellent listener? A girl sees and hears some fascinating things with a little tin."

1 hour ago, ZincAboutIt said:

"Anyway, I don't suppose you know someone who could use an excellent listener? A girl sees and hears some fascinating things with a little tin."

Lena thought for a moment.

"I heard some kind of gang was looking for new members."

She gestured towards the jobs.

"Somewhere over there should be the corresponding notice."

Lusk pushed open the door gently and limped inside the bar. Drinks had never been his passion, though the situation at Oasis had been particularly stressful on husband old heart, and so he’d come here.

It wasn’t as bad as it sounded. He tapped Atium to a age where he wasn’t so fragile and sat next to a woman who looked about twenty years old. ( @Silva)

“What’s your least favourite drink to make?” He asked the bartender. He would order that, just for kicks. ( @Invocation)

37 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Lena thought for a moment.

"I heard some kind of gang was looking for new members."

She gestured towards the jobs.

"Somewhere over there should be the corresponding notice."

Lita glanced at the board before cradling the cup of choc in her hands and getting up from the bar.

"I appreciate it, Lena," she said. "Good luck with your shadow over there."

She nodded towards the butler and walked towards the notice board.  Lita sighed, finished her drink, and tore a scrap of paper off one hanging sheet, writing her qualifications down: 

Tineye, poison-mixing experience/antidotes, covert surveillance, espionage. Contract work only, no direct kills, no combat. Ask for Lita A.

She tacked it up in a corner of the board and made to leave, but turned at the last minute and addressed Lena.

"It's inevitable, isn't it? Joining with one group or another? I know the kind of game I'm playing, and it's the kind where I end up dead unless I've got friends. It's just... if we're all simply assets in someone's arsenal, how can we ever be sure that those 'friends' won't kill us first?"

Just now, I think I am here. said:

“I think I am,” Lusk said. “How is it made?”

"A whole lot of shaved coconut, lime, mango, and orange slices, sank into an infuser in the middle of a gallon container of what amounts to one of Calamity-Earth's margaritas, then that is shaken up and mixed into another gallon container of daiquiri and pina colada mix. Fair warning, payment is needed ahead of time for that due to the size and complexity."

Freedom glanced up at the man who'd sat down next to her, taking a sip from her still mostly full glass of water. For now he seemed mostly entertained by bothering the bartender. Judging from the limp he'd walked in with, she was sort of glad to not be the center of his focus.