When the words "Unite Them" appear on the page, is that someone speaking to Dalinar? Is that him remembering Honor speaking to him in the vision, like an echo? Is that Dalinar reminding himself of his mantra or something? 

This really piqued my interest, because I'm rereading Words of Radiance. I've read WoK a bunch, and Oathbringer about three times. Only read WoR once, so I've been rereading it and searching for clues. The interlude chapter called Taravangian, where he sails into Vedenar to see the King die, he thinks about how Gavilar had the visions and explained it to him. Then the text, "Unite them" appears. Did he hear it too? Is he remembering Gavilar speak it? Is there a disembodied voice speaking to more than one person?

It had worked. Just as the Diagram instructed, Taravangian was king of Jah Keved. He had taken the first major step toward unifying the world, as Gavilar had insisted would need to happen if they were to survive. That was, at least, what the visions had proclaimed. Visions Gavilar had confided in him six years ago, the night of the Alethi king’s death. Gavilar had seen visions of the Almighty, who was also now dead, and of a coming storm.

Unite them.

“I am doing my best, Gavilar,” Taravangian whispered. “I am sorry that I need to kill your brother.”

What happened here? I really hope this isn't a Bondsmith thing, because I really don't want to see him become a Bondsmith as well, while actively trying to undermine Dalinar so much.

Btw, that chapter is fantastic for theory crafting. They talk a lot about the diagram, his boon and curse, 2 Unmade, they talk about Dova and how she discovered their operation and even have a Deathrattle.

The king heaved a final gasp, eyes glazing over. “So the night will reign, for the choice of honor is life . . .”

Taravangian raised an eyebrow. A Death Rattle?

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!? lol

The Unite them from the Taravangian part was him remembering what Gavilar was talking about in the visions, since Gavilar was also on the Bondsmith path before he died got Szeth'd.

The Death Rattles are hard to decipher exact meanings from, but once the time comes, we will know what it was talking about.

23 minutes ago, Invocation said:

The Unite them from the Taravangian part was him remembering what Gavilar was talking about in the visions, since Gavilar was also on the Bondsmith path before he died got Szeth'd.

I want to agree with you, but it's not quoted. It's italicized just like when it occurs when Dalinar hears/thinks it. I looked through some WoBs about it and didn't see him comment on how it's supposed to be read or interpreted.

I don't think Taravangian is on any path to be a Bondsmith considering the lying, assassinating, and subterfuge he's been planning. There's no way a spren derived from Honor would find it right.

3 minutes ago, Naurock said:

I want to agree with you, but it's not quoted. It's italicized just like when it occurs when Dalinar hears/thinks it. I looked through some WoBs about it and didn't see him comment on how it's supposed to be read or interpreted.

I don't think Taravangian is on any path to be a Bondsmith considering the lying, assassinating, and subterfuge he's been planning. There's no way a spren derived from Honor would find it right.

He wouldn't be on the same Bondsmith path as Dalinar anyway. Dalinar is Unity, and that comes from the amount of Honor he's bonded to with the Stormfather. That bond is staying until Dalinar is dead or reneges. Taravangian, while he might be a Bondsmith (I doubt it), won't be hearing Unite them in the same way Gavilar and Dalinar were.

14 hours ago, Naurock said:

In this case Mr. T is remembering Gavilar saying it, so Taravangian wouldn't have to be on Bondsmith path to remember Gavilar saying it.

I agree that it is sort of ambiguous, but given current information it seems like the characters are just remembering it, although some of the Dalinar scenes make it seem like "something" is repeating it for him to hear.

5 hours ago, equinox said:

What about Cultivation? Both, Dalinar and Mr. T, visited the valley. And while I'm not on the "Mr. T bonding the Nightwatcher"-train, I am a true believer of the "Mr. T is a plant"-theory...

Excellent, another convert. One day I'll re-type that topic.

My headcanon is that T is a marljuana plant.

• Chaos locked this topic