the Licanius trilogy

I'm so glad this is a topic now! It's my new favorite non-Brandon book series. I was hooked from the start of book one. That series is like a Brandon Avalanche happening every single chapter, it never slows down and it picks you up and yanks you further into the story as the twists and worldbuilding just keep getting deeper and deeper until you realize you really understood nothing at the start. And even after ALL THAT HAPPENS in all its crazy plot twistery and after all the gallons of reveals and information, it STILL seems like we don't even know half of what's going on yet by the end of book two. And it's a TRILOGY!

The magic system is great, the characterization is pretty good, the writing has a very distinct style unique to the author James Islington, the plot twists and worldbuilding are unbelievably terrific as mentioned before, the nature of the conflict is deep and convoluted and leaves you genuinely wondering who the real villains are and which "god" is the god on the right side, and the whole thing just seems far too big for three books.

Plus, the twist ending of book one was so mindblowing to me, the last time I was blown away so much by a book ending was reading Hero of Ages.

I love that series and eagerly await the third book, even though it might be years before I read it because of missionary stuff.

Highly recommended to all!

10 hours ago, Firerust said:

I'm so glad this is a topic now! It's my new favorite non-Brandon book series. I was hooked from the start of book one. That series is like a Brandon Avalanche happening every single chapter, it never slows down and it picks you up and yanks you further into the story as the twists and worldbuilding just keep getting deeper and deeper until you realize you really understood nothing at the start. And even after ALL THAT HAPPENS in all its crazy plot twistery and after all the gallons of reveals and information, it STILL seems like we don't even know half of what's going on yet by the end of book two. And it's a TRILOGY!

The magic system is great, the characterization is pretty good, the writing has a very distinct style unique to the author James Islington, the plot twists and worldbuilding are unbelievably terrific as mentioned before, the nature of the conflict is deep and convoluted and leaves you genuinely wondering who the real villains are and which "god" is the god on the right side, and the whole thing just seems far too big for three books.

Plus, the twist ending of book one was so mindblowing to me, the last time I was blown away so much by a book ending was reading Hero of Ages.

I love that series and eagerly await the third book, even though it might be years before I read it because of missionary stuff.

Highly recommended to all!

I have the first book on my bookshelf, and this post gets me excited to read it.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed with all that has been stated. I picked it up because someone mentioned it to me and then I saw that James Islington mentioned Brandon and Rothfuss as the inspiration for him to actually start writing, so I read it. The first one was good, the second was better. I'm continually blown away by the plot twists and trying to determine which side is the one I agree with. I can't believe it'll be a trilogy since I feel that there are so many things we don't know yet.