Is there more to Lirin than meets the eye? An out-there theory

Fanghur Rahl

28 minutes ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

Edit: Crazy idea I just had. Like absolutely nuts. I’ve always thought that Lirin used to be a soldier and that’s why he is so adamantly pacifist. What if he was one of the Blackthorns Elites. We know the events at the Rift drove at least one Elite into the Ardentia and I could see it driving another into field of medicine. IIRC he didn’t become an apprentice surgeon until he was older which would fit the timeline fairly well.

He claims to have been a courier in his youth and I am inclined to believe him.

There is a Lirin quote in the Way of Kings that I would like to bring up:

“The Almighty calls all men back to the Spiritual Realm eventually.”

(Page 308 in my book, end of chapter 16 if it isn’t the same page.)

Edited by Ethan_Sedai

2 minutes ago, Ethan_Sedai said:

They do!? How did I not know this?

Shallan's discussion of objective truth with Pattern.  I can't remember where it is but she mentions that things in the CR are more fluid while things in the spiritual realm are perfect.  Also those two ardents who are discovering the uncertainty principle debate theology by mentioning that in the spiritual realm perhaps those whose calling is to cook will make ideal food is the SR when they die.  Also during Gavilar's funeral in Oathbringer they ardent mentions the three realms...

There is definitely more to Kaladin's parents than meets the eye. Remember,

JoyBlu

Both Tien and Kaladin are Radiant, you talked about how that wasn't hereditary, and how that was more because of where they were with association. Was it because they were associated with the same person, or the same place?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, Connection influences spren.

JoyBlu

Right, but was the Connection to a person that they were around?

Brandon Sanderson

Connection to people.

JoyBlue

So not necessarily the place where they were?

Brandon Sanderson

Right.

Joyblu

Because my way of thinking it might be with the people is because, like with the Purelake on the Cognitive Realm there would be more spren hanging out there because that was more land, right; so if you spent more time on that you would have more spren around you. So if you're closer to more water, you're closer to more spren.

Brandon Sanderson

That is not an irrelevant observation.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

The fact that both Tien and Kaladin started attracting spren at a young age implies that the spren were already around someone close to them. And the closest was their parents. Besides, the whole Child of Tanavast thingy implies there may actually be something to Kaladin's heritage. Not to mention Kaladin's focus book was titled "The Way of Kings".

And then there's this doozy:

He must pick it up, the fallen title! The tower, the crown, and the spear!

The Tower and Crown being the Kholin family crest, and the Spear being a symbolic reference to Kaladin.

On 20.07.2019 at 11:26 AM, TheFoxQR said:

The Tower and Crown being the Kholin family crest, and the Spear being a symbolic reference to Kaladin.

I feel like the Tower can be as well a reference to Urithiru - and so to all Knights Radiant. 

11 hours ago, Nnatel said:

I feel like the Tower can be as well a reference to Urithiru - and so to all Knights Radiant. 

I've always thought that the "the Tower" was a reference to the rock formation where Sadeas betrayed Dalinar. That is where Kaladin swore his second oath right? And "the crown" is a reference to Elhokar, the king. Kaladin swore his third oath protecting Elhokar.

He summons "the Spear" (Syl) and, by doing so, takes up the long lost title of Knight Radiant.

2 hours ago, Q10fanatic said:

I've always thought that the "the Tower" was a reference to the rock formation where Sadeas betrayed Dalinar. That is where Kaladin swore his second oath right? And "the crown" is a reference to Elhokar, the king. Kaladin swore his third oath protecting Elhokar.

As we are following the pattern of oaths - what if 'the Spear' somehow tells us where (or when) he will swear the fourth one? (Though I have no idea what  it can mean...) 

Edited by Nnatel

This and certain other conclusions I've drawn recently makes me suspicious of the accuracy what we think will happen in these books. SA is Sanderson's Magnum Opus, I'm pretty sure the story is going places we aren't even suspecting yet.

15 hours ago, Nnatel said:

I'm pretty sure that's where the Tower in the Kholin crest comes from. In fact, it might be a remnant of an older crest, which the Kholins either appropriated or that's just their lineage.

Edited by TheFoxQR

5 hours ago, Nnatel said:

As we are following the pattern of oaths - what if 'the Spear' somehow tells us where (or when) he will swear the fourth one? (Though I have no idea what  it can mean...) 

I will definitely be combing the next book for any references to a spear.

• Chaos locked this topic