Reading list for cosmere

Housedunn

Question

11 answers to this question

I always tell people to read Mistborn, then Elantris, then Warbreaker and then SA. Elantris could very well go after SA though. I think the most important thing is to know who Vasher and Vivenna and Nightblood are so you can pick up on little easter eggs. Some people don't care about that though so I usually tailor the first book to the person. Say, for instance, I have a friend who likes mysteries. I would tell them to read Elantris and if they like it, I might direct them to Mistborn. 

Well, there's no real order specifically to read in. I read them in the order of Mistborn Era 1, Elantris, Warbreaker, Mistborn Era 2, White Sand, short stories, and then Stormlight. (Stormlight is a good idea to read last because it's where things come together more and is the furthest down the timeline of the full series stuff right now)

I did the following but it can be changed up:

Elantris> Mistborn: The Final Empire> The Emperor's Soul> Mistborn: The Well of Ascension> Mistborn: The Hero of Ages> The Way of Kings> White Sand> Mistborn Era 2> Mistborn: Secret History> Warbreaker> Words of Radiance (Stormlight 2)> Shadows for Silence, Hope of Elantris, The Eleventh Metal, Allomancer Jak, Edgedancer> Oathbringer (Stormlight 3)

I switched some things up just to be fresh but I think it was a pretty good order.

You should read whatever seems most interesting to you first (obviously do a particular series in order).  

You can't really go wrong with any of the starting books (Final Empire, Way of Kings, Warbreaker, Elantris).  I think that people put too much stock in the "Warbreaker must come before Stormlight" and "Bands of Mourning before Secret History" thing.  Let's be honest, we're all going to read all the books multiple times anyway.  

This is what Brandon has to say (much more eloquently than I put it):

Recommended Reading Order for Cosmere Books 

I recommended reading the books in sequential order rather than trying to dive into the second book in a series without having read the first book. That said, it really doesn’t matter which Cosmere series you start with, which means any of these books are good starting points:

Mistborn: the Final Empire
The Emperor’s Soul
The Way of Kings
Elantris
Warbreaker

There are tidbits in each of the books that inform the other books, but you don’t have to notice these things to enjoy the story by itself. Finding these easter eggs is one of the things that makes re-reading the books so much fun.

The Alloy of Law is an okay jumping in spot for the Cosmere, but keep in mind that this book has spoilers for the original Mistborn trilogy.

6 hours ago, Housedunn said:

Hey I been think about this for a while. What would be a good reading order for the cosmere in general. I was kinda thinking first mistborn, then stormlight, then really anything after. What u guys think?

Elantris then era 1 then secret history then Stormlight then era 2 then maybe warbreaker or something? (I have never read era 2 or Warbreaker so i am just going by what I have heard) I enjoyed Era 1 the most.

This is the list I gave a friend:

Mistborn: The Final Empire

Mistborn: The Well of Ascension

Mistborn: The Hero of Ages

Arcanum Unbounded: Chapters 22-23; Chapters 26-53

Elantris

Arcanum Unbounded: Chapters 20-21; Chapters 2-19

Warbreaker

Arcanum Unbounded: Chapters 24-25

Mistborn: Alloy of Law

Mistborn: Shadows of Self

Mistborn: Bands of Mourning

The Stormlight Archive: The Way of Kings

The Stormlight Archive: Words of Radiance

The Stormlight Archive: Oathbringer

Arcanum Unbounded (the rest of it, anyway)

*Note: The jury is still out on when to read the "White Sand" graphic novels, as I have yet to read them.

Edited by rkae610

I definitely think SH should always go after BoM. Like, the little afterword that Brandon leaves at the end of BoM basically says that SH is meant to explain stuff that happens at the end of BoM. It doesn’t make sense to read SH first in that case. Plus, the shock factor of BoM’s ending is absolutely amazing, and I’d hate for people to not get to experience that.

As for the full order, here’s what I’d recommend:

1. Mistborn Era 1/Elantris
  2. Elantris/Mistborn Era 1 (either of these is a good starting place, but if you’re trying to turn them into a Sanderfan, more people like Mistborn than Elantris, statistically speaking, so you’re more likely to get them hooked with Mistborn first)
  3. Hope of Elantris (after Elantris)
  4. Eleventh Metal (after Era 1)
  5. Emperor’s Soul
  6. Alloy of Law
  7. Allomancer Jak 
  8. Shadows of Self
  9. Bands of Mourning
  10. Shadows for Silence/White Sand/Sixth of the Dusk (these can kind of go anywhere before Warbreaker and SA)
  11. Warbreaker
  12. Way of Kings
  13. Words of Radiance
  14. Edgedancer
  15. Oathbringer