Aluminum is allomantically inert—is there a metal that has the opposite response?

DjangotheKid

Question

Since aluminum is allomantically inert, is there another metal, perhaps duralumin, or (more likely) nicrosil, that doubles allomantic effects? Would steel pushing nicrosil push twice as hard? Or could wearing a nicrosil lined hat double the range or power of emotional allomancy (as subject or object)?

Edited by DjangotheKid

8 answers to this question

2 hours ago, DjangotheKid said:

I fear I haven't made myself clear. I'm not talking about the internal effect of the metals I've mentioned. It's established in Mistborn era 2 that aluminum is allomantically inert, meaning it resists allomantic pushes and pulls of the various kinds. Hence why aluminum (alloyed) guns and bullets are such a silver bullet. My question is if the reverse is true for one of aluminum's complementary metals (duralumin or nicrosil), that is to say, is there a metal that is /more/ reactive to allomantic pushes and pulls?

Oh, I get it now. My bad, I misunderstood the question.

Depends on if you qualify metalminds as separate metals from what they were before they were filled. If so, then yes: non-Invested metals are less reactive. Other than that, we haven't seen a noticeable difference that I can think of.

2 hours ago, DjangotheKid said:

My question is if the reverse is true for one of aluminum's complementary metals (duralumin or nicrosil), that is to say, is there a metal that is /more/ reactive to allomantic pushes and pulls?

Ahhh, okay. Probably not then. Aluminum's Investiture-sink property is universal, it's only on Scadrial where there's actually a magic that can Invest it. I don't think that just because it does something else on Scadrial, that its associated metals on that world would somehow have an inverse effect of aluminum. So far as we can tell, the only factors that determine pushing and pulling effectiveness are relative weight, anchors and whether the metal is Invested. Okay, and if you're using duralumin to enhance your pushes or pulls since it can make a difference since you're applying all that force at once, but that's not a question of reactiveness to the pushing/pulling. I think that if duralumin was easier to push than an identically-massed chunk of another metal, somebody would have noticed in three hundred years.

Everything's kind of on a spectrum. Aluminum is on one end of the spectrum, it resists all forms of Investiture pretty well from a magical sense, non invested objects are what would be the opposite of that, since they can be effected easiest. Doesn't matter of its pushes pulls or getting cut with a shard blade. Invested objects/ people are inbetween those depending on how invested they are. But I don't think we've seen anything that stands out as  WAAY easier to be affected that I can think of. 

1 hour ago, DjangotheKid said:

Or could wearing a nicrosil lined hat double the range or power of emotional allomancy (as subject or object)?

No. You can alloy aluminum to do things like make the guns seen in Alloy of Law (because pure aluminum wouldn't work) but that doesn't enhance it's Investiture-sink properties. Adulterate aluminum too much and you'll weaken the effect (because of how little aluminum you have) or possibly lose it altogether, as with duralumin. And if you try to use alloys of aluminum at all in the Metallic Arts other than the specific combination that gets you duralumin, you've got a lump of metal that won't do a rusting thing because in Realmatic terms it's not a valid metal.

Edited by Weltall

I fear I haven't made myself clear. I'm not talking about the internal effect of the metals I've mentioned. It's established in Mistborn era 2 that aluminum is allomantically inert, meaning it resists allomantic pushes and pulls of the various kinds. Hence why aluminum (alloyed) guns and bullets are such a silver bullet. My question is if the reverse is true for one of aluminum's complementary metals (duralumin or nicrosil), that is to say, is there a metal that is /more/ reactive to allomantic pushes and pulls?