Random Thoughts

Lunamor

It's nice that a thread exists where I can post my existential ramblings.

For example, how much of who we are is based on the experiences we've had? If someone completely erased my memory, would any of my personality survive?

On the topic of memory, it's crazy how much we rely on it. Imagine that an alien appeared, then wiped your memory of the encounter and vanished. Despite the fact that you lived through it, you would have no inkling that it had happened. Theoretically, that could have just happened to you.

Also, due to speed of light delays, everything we experience is technically the past. It's a minimal amount of time, but it's there, which means that even current events are, in a way, memories. And what separates the past from the present, anyway? Is there a certain amount of time that's the cutoff? Like, 3 seconds ago is the past, but after that is the present? Can you ever really say that it's "now"?

On 1/24/2019 at 6:58 PM, Lunamor said:

Does every person see all of the colors as different ones? Is that why people have different favorite colors? Is everyone’s favorite color actually the same color? 

Replying to an oooooold post but I have something to add.

I've had cataract surgery in both my eyes, during which my lenses were replaced with artificial ones. After the surgery I began to notice that I see colors differently with my different eyes. If I close my right eye I see cooler colors (such as blue and green) more vibrantly while reds and browns look more faded and gray. Alternatively, reds look brighter when I close my left eye. My brother, who has also had his lenses replaced, has noticed the same thing. He theorizes that it has to do with the way your brain adjusts to temporarily having good vision in only one eye. 

This has gotten me thinking that everyone sees colors slightly differently. (Also I remember hearing that females see color differently from males? Maybe??)

However, I have hacked the system and unlocked ULTIMATE DUAL-SEEING COLOR EYES. (I'm tired and supposed to be writing an essay can you tell?)

So if you want to experience different colors...

get surgery.

Simple.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:40 AM, Rushu42 said:

On the topic of memory, it's crazy how much we rely on it. Imagine that an alien appeared, then wiped your memory of the encounter and vanished. Despite the fact that you lived through it, you would have no inkling that it had happened. Theoretically, that could have just happened to you.

This is something I am constantly low-key scared of. If somebody ever creates a memory modifying or erasing device, I am going start hiding coded notes for myself.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:40 AM, Rushu42 said:

Also, due to speed of light delays, everything we experience is technically the past. It's a minimal amount of time, but it's there, which means that even current events are, in a way, memories. And what separates the past from the present, anyway? Is there a certain amount of time that's the cutoff? Like, 3 seconds ago is the past, but after that is the present? Can you ever really say that it's "now"?

I would say the difference between the past and the present is that you experience the present and remember the past.

On 6/28/2020 at 0:31 AM, revelryintheart said:

I've had cataract surgery in both my eyes, during which my lenses were replaced with artificial ones. After the surgery I began to notice that I see colors differently with my different eyes. If I close my right eye I see cooler colors (such as blue and green) more vibrantly while reds and browns look more faded and gray. Alternatively, reds look brighter when I close my left eye. My brother, who has also had his lenses replaced, has noticed the same thing. He theorizes that it has to do with the way your brain adjusts to temporarily having good vision in only one eye. 

This has gotten me thinking that everyone sees colors slightly differently. (Also I remember hearing that females see color differently from males? Maybe??)

However, I have hacked the system and unlocked ULTIMATE DUAL-SEEING COLOR EYES. (I'm tired and supposed to be writing an essay can you tell?)

get surgery.

Simple.

Interesting! I don’t have cataract surgery, but interestingly enough, with contacts (idk about without), my left eye almost has a warm color filter on it, everything just seems slightly more warm, while my right eye has a cool color filter on it where everything seems a bit more cooler toned. It hardly distinguishable, and with both eyes open everything looks the same tone, but it’s definitely there.

Edited by Truthless of Shinovar

On 6/28/2020 at 7:51 AM, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Interesting! I don’t have cataract surgery, but interestingly enough, with contacts (idk about without), my left eye almost has a warm color filter on it, everything just seems slightly more warm, while my right eye has a cool color filter on it where everything seems s but more cooler toned. It hardly distinguishable, and with both eyes open everything looks the same tone, but it’s definitely there.

Maybe it has something to do with artificial lenses?

Anyway this got me thinking...

What if there was an Awakener who couldn't see colors? I guess that once they reached the Third Heightening they would be able to see colors but what about the First and Second Heightenings? 

Just imagine a poor colorblind Awakener frantically touching every object in sight, hurriedly whispering Commands, hoping that the object has color to drain.

21 minutes ago, revelryintheart said:

Anyway this got me thinking...

What if there was an Awakener who couldn't see colors? I guess that once they reached the Third Heightening they would be able to see colors but what about the First and Second Heightenings? 

Just imagine a poor colorblind Awakener frantically touching every object in sight, hurriedly whispering Commands, hoping that the object has color to drain.

There ARE people like this in Halladren but it is somewhat of a taboo. And I don't think anybody actually sees in black and white? Colorblind people merely have trouble differentiating between colors. Also, you can use black to awaken, so if you touch a dark object you are good to go.

On 27/6/2020 at 10:31 PM, revelryintheart said:

get surgery.

Simple.

If it helps develop the theory further, I have noticed something similar.

I haven't gone through any procedures, and though I use glasses now, I'm fairly sure I noticed it before that, so maybe humans just see everything through a pair of reaaaally subtle old-school 3d glasses by default.

26 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

If it helps develop the theory further, I have noticed something similar.

I haven't gone through any procedures, and though I use glasses now, I'm fairly sure I noticed it before that, so maybe humans just see everything through a pair of reaaaally subtle old-school 3d glasses by default.

The reason that old-school 3d glasses give different colors is to give different images to each eye. The different positions of the eyes does it automatically for normal 3d objects. It is only a problem for 3d movies because the movies are shown on a screen.

3 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

The reason that old-school 3d glasses give different colors is to give different images to each eye. The different positions of the eyes does it automatically for normal 3d objects. It is only a problem for 3d movies because the movies are shown on a screen.

Oh I'm aware of that. It's just that when I noticed it I couldn't help but think of those, given that with one eye I saw blue-ish and with the other red-ish.

1 minute ago, Eluvianii said:

Oh I'm aware of that. It's just that when I noticed it I couldn't help but think of those, given that with one eye I saw blue-ish and with the other red-ish.

Oh, I am sorry. Hmm, that's interesting. Is this a recent development or have you always seen this way?

2 hours ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

Oh, I am sorry. Hmm, that's interesting. Is this a recent development or have you always seen this way?

As far as I know it's always been like that, but similar to what others said above, it's virtually unnoticeable unless I'm actively trying to.

What is consciousness? What is “being”? If we define life as the continuation of consciousness do we die whenever we sleep? Is my personality just the result of my experiences? If my entire being and identity is stored in my brain, and one day I get brain surgery, am “I” dead? The brain has been altered so would I be a completely different person? Same question if I get a concussion. 

On 6/26/2020 at 8:06 AM, The Awakened Salad said:

When you look at something, you can tell exactly what it would be like to lick it. 

And now I have passed on the curse

saLAD WHAT THE FRICK AHHHHHH?!?!

12 hours ago, Danex said:

What is consciousness? What is “being”? If we define life as the continuation of consciousness do we die whenever we sleep? Is my personality just the result of my experiences? If my entire being and identity is stored in my brain, and one day I get brain surgery, am “I” dead? The brain has been altered so would I be a completely different person? Same question if I get a concussion. 

Consciousness is a trick evolution gave us so that we could trick other people.

• 2 months later...

So what were the creatures of the ocean thinking when the Titanic sunk? Like imagine you’re a deep sea fish, roaming the dark depths of the ocean for food, you haven’t seen any signs of life for months, and then all of a sudden this massive... thing comes falling down almost on top of you. You have no idea what it is, only that it’s nothing like you’ve ever seen. There are bodies, too. At least, you think they are bodies. But where are their fins, their gills? It’d be like watching an alien spaceship crash land. 

I was finding strange that how can I walk. I don't know is there any body think about it but this is so weird. We just want walking then it is happening. So I was trying to understand that how we doing this automatically. I was stopping in the middle of the road suddenly, then I walk slowly. I try to not think what the other people around me had thought about me.