Random Thoughts

Lunamor

Who first decided to eat a chicken egg? Did someone say, “I dare you to eat the next thing that comes out of that chicken’s butt!”? Along those lines, how did we figure out baking? It is so precise! Did someone just throw together a bunch of random things then happen to expose them to heat for a proper amount of time, then decide to eat the strange thing that baking the ingredients created?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

What even is our world? Concrete is weird. So is plastic. Also screens. And trees. And food. Food is REALLY strange. We put stuff in our bodies so we can keep moving, but why do we focus so much on it's presentation? At the end of the day it's just going to get broken down and digested.

Planes. Why would someone say "humans should fly too!" Cars as well. "I want to sit in a metal box that moves." Like, what even?

Who was the first person to come up with the concept of time travel? Did they even consider that people would still be disagreeing on how it could be used so many years later?

Edited by Silva

On 1/24/2019 at 10:06 AM, Jaywalk said:

I wonder...

Why are toddlers so adorable, yet so obnoxious?

It's a package deal.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:48 AM, Firerust said:

Why do feet smell and noses run?

Why do we drive in parkways and park in driveways?

Why do cars carry shipments and ships carry cargo?

Because English.

On 1/24/2019 at 0:11 PM, Kobold King said:

If I switched bodies with someone would I still think like myself, or would I start thinking like them, seeing the world as they do, because my brain chemistry is now identical to theirs? What, physically, would have changed in our respective brains?

Depends on how much of your personality is tied to your body, and how much is tied to your soul. If your identity and personality are tied to your spirit then you would still be you. But, if you are nothing but chemical biology in your brain, then you would likely be vastly different.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:14 PM, Jaywalk said:

Why are computer mice called mice?

They're actually not. Mice is the plural of "Mouse" as in the animal. The correct plural of a computer mouse is actually "Mouses".

Incidentally, if a vampire bit Wolverine, what would happen? Would Wolverine become a vampire, or would his healing keep him human? Would Wolverine be able to produce blood faster than the vampire could drink? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/31/2019 at 0:51 PM, Silva said:

What even is our world? Concrete is weird. So is plastic. Also screens. And trees. And food. Food is REALLY strange. We put stuff in our bodies so we can keep moving, but why do we focus so much on it's presentation? At the end of the day it's just going to get broken down and digested.

Planes. Why would someone say "humans should fly too!" Cars as well. "I want to sit in a metal box that moves." Like, what even?

Who was the first person to come up with the concept of time travel? Did they even consider that people would still be disagreeing on how it could be used so many years later?

This is where time travel came from...

Why does chemistry make absolutely no sense? 

How many threads will be necro’d before Chaos does something about it?

Why do less dense atoms float? Did the atoms just agree before hand that the denser ones would go down, and the less dense ones go up? 

If you asked a scientist to explain something science-y, and then just kept asking “why?” how long would it take before they ran out of answers?

Aren’t bathtubs just reverse boats?

(to music) Why can’t we be friends?

How many octopuses would it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Why did I forget that metal things don’t go in the microwave?

Why does burned plastic smell so stinkin’ bad?!

Why do I even have all of these questions?!

Does everyone think in basically the same way? How would we ever know if they didn't? Relatedly, would the ability to read minds actually be desirable? Would you be able to stop reading minds? Also, why do we say "reading minds" and not "listening to thoughts"? Usually it's equated to hearing, not seeing.

What if Earth is just the map of a videogame and we're all just part of a super advanced civilization playing at some arcade, and our level of riches, luck and mental health determine the difficulty, and when we die we'll wake up in the arcade or in our rooms just having played for about 20 minutes?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 6:12 PM, Eluvianii said:

What if Earth is just the map of a videogame and we're all just part of a super advanced civilization playing at some arcade, and our level of riches, luck and mental health determine the difficulty, and when we die we'll wake up in the arcade or in our rooms just having played for about 20 minutes?

If life is a video game, then we have to revise our definition of video game. The set definition of reality, by the way, is just what we're all experiencing right now. It can't be not that. 

If an Alien species were to visit the earth, would they be surprised at how quick (roughly 100,000 years) humanity has been able to learn all that we have learned, or at how slow it has taken us to get to this point?

What if the world actually ended in 2012, and our minds were automatically uploaded to a parallel dimension, thus the reason some of us have differing memories of historical events?

Physics is well on the way to answering questions regarding quantum entanglement, wormholes, and much more. It brings up the question as to whether or not it will be possible to step outside of spacetime. If that happens, will we beable to look at the timeline as a whole, and therefore adjust it? Or will it simply cause problems like that of the Seer in Mistborn, where seeing the timeline will allow us to make a whole new set of decisions, thus causing a million more timelines appear based on that decision? 

Or would it have the opposite effect? By viewing the timeline, it would lock the timeline in place, because the first viewer would be able to see everything, and make a decision based on that, which would lock the timeline in place. Could it really be locked, because if someone is able to view the timeline, can we not assume that some other person who interacts with that person is also able to view the timeline? 

Edited by Cadmium Compounder

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 4:52 PM, lonimas said:

Did anybody watch Joker?

Welcome the the Shard! I'd suggest introducing yourself in the Introduce Yourself thread!

In regards to Joker: I did see it. I thought it was a great movie that really opened up about mental health. It had its flaws and controversies but I applaud the bravery for releasing it.

That being said, it's a great movie but I don't think it's a great Joker movie. If this was released without the Joker involved and another character then I don't think it would be doing as well.

5 minutes ago, AonEne said:

I just want a song in a musical where one character is self-aware enough to walk in and go, “Why are you all singing this conversation?” Especially if it’s a ton of people, in broad daylight. 

Have you watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail? There is a scene where the father keeps on trying to keep his son from breaking into song cause it’s really weird :P

1 minute ago, Lunamor said:

Have you watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail? There is a scene where the father keeps on trying to keep his son from breaking into song cause it’s really weird :P

Oh, no I have not!