Lift and Lembas bread

GhoX

Considering Lift's unique ability to metabolize food directly into Stormlight, wouldn't Lembas bread from LOTR make her seriously OP?

As Legolas says in the films; "one small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man", so all she'd need is carry around a small chunk and nibble on it to get massive amounts of potential Investiture. So instead of grabbing a bread roll or stealing people's dinner, she could literally stuff a piece of Elvish Waybread in her pocket and have enough food to sustain her for several days, right?

And if she knew she was going to fight in an upcoming battle, she could eat a large portion of bread and "store up" Stormlight to use later, or even to heal people using Regrowth. Thoughts?

Second breakfast, anyone?

506f3c77399550e17a607f59ad3886a1.jpg&f=1

That picture will haunt my dreams...

Lift has all kinds of fun potential. For her own survival she really needs to start putting effort into getting as fat as possible, even Wyndle mentions that she tends to burn through her excess nutrition and doesnt have much in the way of reserves.  I personally would pay good money to see her with a Southern Scadrial Bendalloy Medallion, she's become unstoppable.  And Im curious if she can eat Horneater food, given that they are genetically different (singer heritage) and can metabolize things other sub-races cannot.  

Lift with lembas would be pretty scary. Not quite as scary as that picture of course...

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

And Im curious if she can eat Horneater food, given that they are genetically different (singer heritage) and can metabolize things other sub-races cannot.  

I doubt it. She basically metabolizes food into Investiture rather than sugar but that requires her to be able to metabolize it in the first place. Because she's not a Horneater, I don't think she could convert any Horneater food into Investiture other than the stuff that, say, Kaladin would also get nutrition out of.

1 minute ago, Weltall said:

Lift with lembas would be pretty scary. Not quite as scary as that picture of course...

I doubt it. She basically metabolizes food into Investiture rather than sugar but that requires her to be able to metabolize it in the first place. Because she's not a Horneater, I don't think she could convert any Horneater food into Investiture other than the stuff that, say, Kaladin would also get nutrition out of.

You are most likely correct, though she is different in enough realmic ways (the aging bit, how she can hijack visions and touch spren) that Im curious if there's a cognitive/perception component involved.  If, for example, she showed up and swiped some of Rock's cooking (made for his family, not the air-sick lowlanders) might she be able to metabolize it simply because she assumes she can, since it's still "Food"?

It turns out Brandon answered this more directly than I thought, as I discovered when I went to close the Arcanum page I had open to find that one WoB. :D

Ted Herman (paraphrased)

Can Lift convert cremling shells to Investiture? 

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

She can only convert what she is able to metabolize for nutrients to Investiture.

Arcanum Unbounded Hoboken signing (Dec. 3, 2016)

He didn't directly say 'no' there but the way he immediately jumped to 'she can only convert what she can metabolize' makes me suspect that Lift is no different from non-Horneater Rosharans when it comes to being able to get nutritional value out of shell and horn.

24 minutes ago, Weltall said:

It turns out Brandon answered this more directly than I thought, as I discovered when I went to close the Arcanum page I had open to find that one WoB. :D

He didn't directly say 'no' there but the way he immediately jumped to 'she can only convert what she can metabolize' makes me suspect that Lift is no different from non-Horneater Rosharans when it comes to being able to get nutritional value out of shell and horn.

Ya, that's fair.  Sad (I wanted to see Rocks reaction to her chowing down on it) but not unexpected. 

30 minutes ago, Quantus said:

You are most likely correct, though she is different in enough realmic ways (the aging bit, how she can hijack visions and touch spren) that Im curious if there's a cognitive/perception component involved.  If, for example, she showed up and swiped some of Rock's cooking (made for his family, not the air-sick lowlanders) might she be able to metabolize it simply because she assumes she can, since it's still "Food"?

Lift seems to be aging normally as well. She didn't get what she asked for, or at least NW and/or Culti chose to take a wild interpretation of Lift's request

2 minutes ago, Kon-Tiki said:

Lift seems to be aging normally as well. She didn't get what she asked for, or at least NW and/or Culti chose to take a wild interpretation of Lift's request

What are you referring to?  I was under the impression she'd stopped aging, specifically (and not coincidentally) at age Ten:

Alice aka Wetlander (paraphrased)

Is it relevant that Lift was ten when she stopped aging?

It isn't a coincidence.

Arcanum Unbounded Hoboken signing (Dec. 3, 2016)

1) I've seen people claim that WoB is "misleading". He never actually confirms she stopped aging, at the very least, he just let us infer.

2) In both ED and OB, Lift complains to herself about how she's definitely getting bigger and is mad at NW for lying to her

15 minutes ago, Quantus said:

What are you referring to?  I was under the impression she'd stopped aging, specifically (and not coincidentally) at age Ten:

I don't have Edgedancer with me, but I'm pretty sure Lift started noticing that she was growing, at least a little bit.  I figured that her growth has been stunted because most of her nutrition gets converted into Awesomeness, but she still ages. 

55 minutes ago, Quantus said:

36 minutes ago, Lidolas said:

I don't have Edgedancer with me, but I'm pretty sure Lift started noticing that she was growing, at least a little bit.  I figured that her growth has been stunted because most of her nutrition gets converted into Awesomeness, but she still ages. 

Not to mention, she starts her period and that's one reason why she took off.

4 hours ago, GhoX said:

Considering Lift's unique ability to metabolize food directly into Stormlight, wouldn't Lembas bread from LOTR make her seriously OP?

As Legolas says in the films; "one small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man", so all she'd need is carry around a small chunk and nibble on it to get massive amounts of potential Investiture. So instead of grabbing a bread roll or stealing people's dinner, she could literally stuff a piece of Elvish Waybread in her pocket and have enough food to sustain her for several days, right?

And if she knew she was going to fight in an upcoming battle, she could eat a large portion of bread and "store up" Stormlight to use later, or even to heal people using Regrowth. Thoughts?

Second breakfast, anyone?

506f3c77399550e17a607f59ad3886a1.jpg&f=1

Are we talking movie or books? Because the movie says that, but in the books, it's 1 wrapped piece/day. The unique thing is that it does take less to feed you and provides all necessary nutrients to survive, and is tasty too.

Other question, do we know that she can only draw power from food or is it possible that she can breathe in stormlight too and just hasn't figured it out yet?

Because forget the endless eating thing, if she is actually able to draw power from both sources - endless food supply or not - that would be a huge advantage.

As for only food, I guess it makes her more vulnerable than a 'usual' radiant as it is now.

(Maybe once she has sworn all oaths and needs only like one bite to fight for a longer period of time it would turn into an advantage, like Kaladin uses less stormlight with each oath.)

But right now she can only fight for like 10 min before starvation is looming and she's completely drained. At least it feels like that in the books.

Edited by Void89

Laryyl (paraphrased)

[Can Lift] get Stormlight from spheres like normal or if it's just from food for her.

She can only get it from food.

Laryyl (paraphrased)

Which [is it] related to her boon or her curse?

RAFO.

Arcanum Unbounded Fort Collins signing (Nov. 29, 2016)

• Chaos locked this topic