If Hoid could have chosen the recipient of Honor's visions, would it have been himself?

rkae610

Question

I feel that there are some very important things connected to those visions, particularly if you notice some... subtleties on pages 1136 and 1139 of OB. Something big is happening, and I'm wondering whether Hoid would have liked to be in Dalinar's place there. This is such an intense thing that I don't really want to put all of it out there, but also I might be very wrong.

13 answers to this question

What chapters are those pages in? I work from the e-book, so page numbers change with my font size settings. 

In general, I dont think that he'd have wanted to be in such prominent view of any shards, nor to actually become one.  I also dont think he'd want to have become a Bondsmith as bonding any of the three unique spren would likely make worldhopping significantly harder (on the basis that they are going to be far more Invested and connected to Roshar than the average Cryptic).

That being said, Lift was apparently able to (mostly) hide from Odium while in one of the visions, Im curious if her wonkiness is in any way similar to Hoid's method for hiding from Shards.

3 hours ago, Quantus said:

What chapters are those pages in? I work from the e-book, so page numbers change with my font size settings. 

It is in chapter 119.

Honestly, my question really comes down to this: What in the Cosmere is Hoid trying to accomplish? Now that I'm actually awake, I don't have as many problems with outright asking my questions and sharing my theories.

My theory: Honor's intent with the visions and the phrase "Untie them" is a lot bigger than Roshar. I think that Honor was referring to the Shattering, as he regretted killing Adonalsium. And something somewhat equally big happened with Dalinar. On page 1136, he created a Perpendicularity and said, "I am Unity." As we all know, something's up when Sanderson capitalizes words. On my initial reflection on this and Odium's response, I remembered Odium saying, "I killed you." But I was wrong. On page 1139, Odium specifically uses the plural. "No, we killed you." We, as in the 16 who killed Adonalsium. Perhaps Adonalsium was the name, as Tanavast or Ati, and Unity the "Shard Title" for lack of a better term. And, judging by his letters, it seems that Hoid is trying to get all of the Shards into one place like he's trying to recreate Adonalsium, or Unity. So I guess the question really is whether Hoid intends to hold all of the Shards, or if he has someone else in mind.

Edited by rkae610

Nah, I don't think Hoid would have been interested in receiving the visions. He probably already knows (or could easily find out) what happened in them, if he wasn't already there in the first place! And receiving the visions would mean he was on the Bondsmith path, which would probably be an awkward situation for him.

No one really knows what Hoid wants to accomplish. We haven't been given enough information. My personal guess is that he's trying to bring someone back from the Beyond, but given that's based on a couple lines of non-canon text, it's loose speculation at best.

11 hours ago, nicolasvelezv said:

I think that Unity is as Shard and because of his intend he wanted to bring back Adonalsium by uniting all the shards. Then maybe the other Shard killed him (or separated him) and he is getting back trough Dalinar.

There are only three Shards on Roshar: Honor, Cultivation, and Odium.  

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 8:58 AM, rkae610 said:

And, judging by his letters, it seems that Hoid is trying to get all of the Shards into one place like he's trying to recreate Adonalsium, or Unity.

Well, we know that Hoid was one of the people that was going to help kill Adonalsium. He backed out at the last moment. It could be he feels guilty and wants to recombine the shards. 

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 8:58 AM, rkae610 said:

"No, we killed you." We, as in the 16 who killed Adonalsium. Perhaps Adonalsium was the name, as Tanavast or Ati, and Unity the "Shard Title" for lack of a better term.

That can't be because that would mean that Dalinar is (Technically) Adonalsuim, and is all of the shards. I think that if Hoid, at this time, wanted to recombine the shards, he would start at Harmony.

27 minutes ago, John Flamesinger said:

Well, we know that Hoid was one of the people that was going to help kill Adonalsium. He backed out at the last moment. It could be he feels guilty and wants to recombine the shards.

We know that Hoid was at the Shattering, and that he kinda thought it was necessary. We do not know that he backed out or feels guilty.

Given the Traveler excerpt, I'm still sure he was for the Shattering and is glad that it happened.

On 2/7/2019 at 9:46 AM, Scion of the Mists said:

As of when?  We also have a death rattle that says "Three of the 16 ruled but now the broken one reigns"  Which implies that at some point 3 shards were cooperating on Roshar Something I do not see Odium doing.

4 minutes ago, Karger said:

As of when?  We also have a death rattle that says "Three of the 16 ruled but now the broken one reigns"  Which implies that at some point 3 shards were cooperating on Roshar Something I do not see Odium doing.

Well introducing a 4th Shard into the mix, more than halfway through the first series, that isn't really foreshadowed, seems like it's really bad writing. Almost Deus Ex Machina, like. Either way, that's not relevant to the topic at hand, so we should probably stop derailing :)

Edited by RShara

3 minutes ago, RShara said:

Well introducing a 4th Shard into the mix, more than halfway through the first series, that isn't really foreshadowed, seems like it's really bad writing. Almost Deus Ex Machina, like. Either way, that's not relevant to the topic at hand, so we should probably stop derailing :)

The sibling could be the 4th ones cognitive shadow.  Also Hoid takes great pains to interfere only in limited ways so I don't think he would want to handle something as sensitive as the identity of the next Bondsmith.