Nightbloods interaction with Spren

Lightblood

Question

do we know what would happen if Nightblood stabbed through a spren? I know the main part of the spren is housed in the cognitive realm but what would happen if nightblood cut through the physical manifestation of the spren, Like syl, would she die and that part of Kaladin's spirit web ripped out? or would she be cut off from the physical realm becoming, essentially, a cognitive spren shadow? Or would it do nothing as they don't have a strong enough prescenes in the physical realm (least likely in my opinion)

17 answers to this question

Depends on the type of spren, probably. Windspren would probably get eaten because they're almost entirely on the Physical side of things, but considering what Nightblood does to things that are only partially Investiture and not entirely made up of it, he'd probably just eat every type of spren. What ramifications that would have on the bond, not sure, but worst case scenario is that they both die because of intertwined Investiture. Best case is the spren is gone forever and with it, the bond.

9 hours ago, Quantus said:

Whereas I think he could take one of those as well...

Nah not the omnipresent things like shards or spren like stormfather. People just like to think Nightblood can obliterate those things but if nightblood can kill something that exists everywhere that would've solved all problems in cosmere

11 minutes ago, goody153 said:

Nah not the omnipresent things like shards or spren like stormfather. People just like to think Nightblood can obliterate those things but if nightblood can kill something that exists everywhere that would've solved all problems in cosmere

Nightblood is bad enough that Hoid wants to stay as far away from him as possible. He wouldn't be able to eat an entire Shard, but the Stormfather? No problem. Nightwatcher? Devoured.

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

Nightblood is bad enough that Hoid wants to stay as far away from him as possible. He wouldn't be able to eat an entire Shard, but the Stormfather? No problem. Nightwatcher? Devoured.

Because Hoid is just a person despite having multiple access to power. I think you could even kill Hoid with somebody who has good knowledge of Hemalurgy and him/her having right timing on hitting hoid on specific spots of his body. 

Nobody except a shard should be safe from Nightblood.

Yeah i think Nightwatcher gets devoured. Stormfather is melded with whatever remains of honor(and is weird enough already) but nightwatcher is not safe indeed. Or anybody who isn't shard or close to being a shard for that matter 

Edited by goody153

44 minutes ago, goody153 said:

Yeah i think Nightwatcher gets devoured. Stormfather is melded with whatever remains of honor(and is weird enough already) but nightwatcher is not safe indeed. Or anybody who isn't shard or close to being a shard for that matter 

He is not melded with the remnants of Honor. He contains the Cognitive Shadow of the former Vessels of Honor. 

Because if that it's gained him a large amount of Connection to the shard, but as far as actual investiture, he gained a single Cognitive Shadow. 

50 minutes ago, goody153 said:

Because Hoid is just a person despite having multiple access to power. I think you could even kill Hoid with somebody who has good knowledge of Hemalurgy and him/her having right timing on hitting hoid on specific spots of his body. 

I doubt that, because Hoid has like 4 different mega-healing factors, so I doubt even Hemalurgy could do what's needed to take him out.

4 hours ago, Invocation said:

I don't know that Nightblood would actually be able to devour them.  There's the problem of actually hitting them in the first place, and in the second place, we don't know exactly how much investiture they contain, and whether they would overwhelm Nightblood before he could eat them.

I would guess that Nightblood could probably chomp the Nightwatcher, but maybe not. The Stormfather, I don't think he'd be able to consume.

I think you'd have to actually hit the Stormfather with Nightblood to be a threat to him, and his physical aspect is the whole bloody storm.  though I'd be worried that Dalinar wielding Nightblood while bonded might start to suck both of them down when he ran out of stormlight and went to devour Dalinar's soul, given that the Nahel Bond is a symbiotic merging of Spiritwebs.  Same general issue with a Shard, I dont think he'd be Unable to eat and/or hold the Shard so much as you'd be unable to pin one down long enough for him to finish the meal.  I do think he'd have far less trouble Eating the Nightwatcher from a practical standpoint, and she's more or less equal to the Stormfather in power.  It's worth noting that apparently the danger of Nightblood eating a whole planet was an initial design concern, which makes me tend to expect great and terrible things from him.  I fully expect him to play the role of Godkiller before all is said and done.

7 hours ago, Quantus said:

Same general issue with a Shard, I dont think he'd be Unable to eat and/or hold the Shard so much as you'd be unable to pin one down long enough for him to finish the meal

Questioner

Hypothetically could Nightblood Splinter a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh, Splintering a Shard takes more power than Nightblood has.

Holiday signing (Dec. 12, 2015)

Argent

Can Nightblood damage or kill a Shard? Is he that powerful?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood is not powerful enough for-- *makes weird/hesitant ehhh sound*

Argent

Can it damage?

Brandon Sanderson

Damage? Yes. How damaging? Is a subject to discussion. Nightblood contains a lot of Investiture.

Firefight Chicago signing (Feb. 20, 2015)

8 minutes ago, Quantus said:

So, actually Splintering the shard itself is beyond him, but how do we feel about him being able to Kill the Vessel? Is there enough ambivalence in the second WOB to allow for that?

The original body of the Vessel sublimates when they Ascend so there really isn't a body for Nightblood to hit. We know the Vessels can create projections of themselves to interact with the Physical Realm but that's not the same thing and 'killing' it wouldn't kill the Vessel. We even see Leras creating projections of himself in the Cognitive Realm that are each holding independent conversations with a lot of recently dead people, so these projections are just a miniscule piece of the Vessel's consciousness.

15 minutes ago, Quantus said:

So, actually Splintering the shard itself is beyond him, but how do we feel about him being able to Kill the Vessel? Is there enough ambivalence in the second WOB to allow for that?

Yeah, pretty much what Weltall said. If you can find an actual Physical manifestation of the body of that Shard (the mists on Scadrial would be eaten by Nightblood) like maybe one of Autonomy's avatars, perhaps. But otherwise, good luck. Except maybe the Dor, if you chucked Nightblood into it and left it there, though it would fill up before it could do it in one go.