What was the first Sanderson Cosmere book you read?

Mailnaise

What was the first Sanderson Cosmere book you read?   

96 members have voted

1. 1. What was the first Sanderson Cosmere book you read? (If it was a non-cosmere one, pick the first Cosmere one and the Non-Cosmere option too)

• Way of Kings (SA)
    • Mistborn
    • Elantris
    • Warbreaker
    • Ars Arcanum/Short Stories
    • Non-Cosmere

I read Elantris without knowing anything about Brandon, the Cosmere,or anything else.  I liked it, but didn't look for more.  I heard about Brandon taking over WoT and looked him up.  Then I realized I'd already read one of his books.  

I’d read the Reckoners and I wanted to see what else he wrote. And honestly looking at the blurb of Mistborn it seemed pretty generic, so I researched and found he made this huge epic called the Way of Kings, read it and loved it. My first Cosmere book, and my first Fantasy book, and what got me into it.

Edited by I think I am here.

Elantris.

Back when there was only Elantris I needed a book for my english class. I was (and still am) only reading fantasy, so I simply browsed for any english fantasy book, discovered Elantris, liked the cover and bought it. And since then I simply read whatever he published.

Actually there's no book I've reread as often as Elantris. It helped me through some bad times.

I put Mistborn in there but actually I read his Wheel of Time books first... I think that's how I learned of him. Or did I read Way of Kings first? I seriously can't remember. I borrowed WoK from a local library so maybe that was the first one... yeah, actually, I think my first one was Way of Kings. It took me a few months to really get going in it, like I was stuck in the first few chapters, but when I sat down and read it for a solid hour or so it just hooked me.

Seems to be that like most, I read Mistborn Era 1 first. I remember reading The Final Empire and being blown away (and being absolutely ruined by the ending). I immediately picked up Well of Ascension and whilst it didn't blow me away like TFE I ended up buying Hero of Ages straight away and that just floored me. It was a slow burner but in true BranSan fashion, the avalanche crumbled me.

I then read Stormlight Archive, beginning with Way of Kings and then I just fell in love. I immediately bought the rest of the series and have been nitpicking every little details since!

The first Sanderson book I read was Steelheart, and that was either 7th or 8th grade. After that, I read Firefight, and was disappointed to learn the Calamity wasn’t out yet. Then my school librarian pointed out that there was another book by this Sanderson guy in the library called the Rithmatist, which I read and loved. Then, I kind of forgot about him for awhile until Calamity finally came out, but I wasn’t able to read that for awhile because my public library didn’t get it for months after it came out. Once I was able to read it, (this was at some point in 2016, presumably the start of my sophomore year), I was like “cool” and forgot about Sanderson for awhile. Then, one day, I looked up stuff about Reckoners online (probably because my little brother and I used to roleplay stuff, and I tended to base my characters off of Epics, which probably made me think about Reckoners and want to see if there was a Fansite for it), and discovered the 17th Shard. At first, I basically just looked at the Reckoners section, but I finally made an introduction post asking about the Cosmere and what order I should read it in. The most common suggestion of where to start was Mistborn, so I checked it out (along with lots of other books I wanted to read) the next day. I didn’t read it for a couple weeks because I was scared of its size, and I only had the first book and wanted to read that book last out of the huge stack of books I had checked out. However, some of the other books looked boring in comparison, so I caved in and started reading it. I immediately got hooked and went and checked out WoA and HoA and read those really quickly (I probably finished Mistborn Era 1 either in February or March of 2017). 

I read the rest of the Cosmere throughout the course of the rest of the school year, but I really pushed off reading the Stormlight Archive because those books were massive. Once I finally read WoK, however, I was hooked. I read WoR over the course of about 3 days, and I even had to spend time practicing and performing for my State Solo Contest that weekend.

Wow that was a lot longer than I meant it to be.

Elantris.  I forget how I heard of the book, though it was probably due to the news that he was taking over The Wheel of Time.  I remember looking into it and having my choice of Elantris or the Mistborn trilogy.  I decided that rather than commit to three books all at once, I'd give the standalone novel a shot first.  I thought it was pretty good, so I went on to Mistborn and largely enjoyed it (though I still think that Well of Ascension is probably Sanderson's weakest book).  I didn't get into Stormlight until way, way later.

Edited by galendo

I started with the mistborn books. I only heard of Brandon Sanderson when I found out he was going to be writing the last WoT books, so thought I better check out what his own books were like first. I had to get the box set with the 3 mistborn books imported from the US as I couldn't get them in the UK at the time. It was definitely worth the effort though.

• 1 month later...