[SPOILERS!] The Well Of Ascension Thread

Snake Eyes Productions_YT

46 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

A lot of people like WoA the least in the Mistborn trilogy. Anybody have thoughts on that?

I like them all, but honestly, yeah, WoA is probably my least-liked one in the trilogy just because it doesn't hold my attention as much as the others do. TFE introduces everything, HoA caps it off. It's a good book, don't get me wrong, but the whole Zane/Vin thing doesn't hold my attention like struggles against a dark ruler or anything else.

Edited by Invocation

So my experience was this. I was annoyed at the book in the first place 'cause Kell was gone so that didn't help. Zane... Oh my Shards. This is a long rabbit hole. So, when I met him I was like, "Huh. Okay." But as things went on, he frustrated me 'cause I couldn't figure him out. My solution? Write about it. Every time I got a new chapter from his POV I wrote for like an hour. The only thing I really concluded was that I hate him and his only real purpose was to help Vin lock onto her identity. The ending though... storms. I loved the ending. It was an emotional roller coaster (as I've come to expect from Sanderson) and it got me hyped for the next book which satisfied. So. Hard. 

2 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

Really? Huh? Why do you think that is? That's interesting.

Alright so Vin can use Allomancy to control the minds of the koloss and force them to do her bidding. But that's okay, that's acceptable because the Koloss are lesser beings, right? Kinda sounds like the noble class's justification for subjugating the Skaa doesn't it?

1 minute ago, Pagliacci said:

Alright so Vin can use Allomancy to control the minds of the koloss and force them to do her bidding. But that's okay, that's acceptable because the Koloss are lesser beings, right? Kinda sounds like the noble class's justification for subjugating the Skaa doesn't it?

That... that's a really good point. 

But here's the thing. HoA kinda rectifies this... kinda.

Spoiler for HoA though I try to keep it vague.

Spoiler

When I look at the Mistborn trilogy I try not to look at them as individual stories, but rather three parts of one big story. Because the novels work best as a single unit. On its own WoA's treatment of enslavement is a little weird. But HoA kind of deals with the use of the Koloss. It's like Batman using sonar tech at the end of the Dark Knight. It's a problematic aspect of the film, however Rises mitigates the problem because Bane took advantage of Batman's morally compromised actions in order to take over Gotham City.

Also I recently watched Jessica Jones season 1 so my perception of mind control was kind of transformed by the show.

1 hour ago, Marsh_Man said:

How do you guys like Zane? I thought Zane was quite amazing and powerful and I was upset when he died. Also, Please do not spoil anything past this book, but how do you feel about Marsh?

Reveal hidden contents

People generally hate Zane.  A lot.  

I'm not sure how people are going to be able to answer your questions (e.g. about Marsh) without factoring in things that happen in later books in the series.  For Mistborn especially, it's really hard to remember which particular book an event happened in, as all the books of a particular era run together.  

P.s. Why do you have an empty spoiler box?  

Hmm, I really liked Zane. I thought his insanity and power really combined well but sadly, his insanity overtook him quite a bit. Marsh is my original favorite crewmember from book 1, and I'm upset he turned out to be half-evil. And about the spoiler box....... I guess it was an accident.

8 minutes ago, Marsh_Man said:

Hmm, I really liked Zane. I thought his insanity and power really combined well but sadly, his insanity overtook him quite a bit. Marsh is my original favorite crewmember from book 1, and I'm upset he turned out to be half-evil. And about the spoiler box....... I guess it was an accident.

Marsh is a very interesting character and continues to be an interesting character in Hero of Ages.  I'm not sure that I can say much else without spoiling things.  

P.s. You can edit previous posts if you want to modify/delete something (e.g. the spoiler box).  

Oh, I could go on and on and on and on and... you get it. I love Marsh so storming much. He is amazing. He and Kell are my favorite characters in Mistborn and while Kelsier does just barely edge his brother out for the place of favorite character, Marsh still has a special place in my heart. Seriously, I met him and I shoved Kell aside for the moment and was just like, "Why, hello there, I will now devote my full attention to you." But then.... he was gone. He just wasn't in TFE enough. And then Kell died (I can say that here 'cause this is a spoiler thread, right?) so that kinda chiseled him into my brain for good. I was really excited for Marsh to be around in WoA and really interested about how he would deal with being an Inquisitor but then, same problem. He left and when he came back he was not himself. In HoA you get stuff from Marsh's perspective which is awesome and it makes you appreciate him a lot more. If Marsh was your favorite character in TFE then you will not be disappointed. Marsh deserves better. 'Nough said.

2 hours ago, Marsh_Man said:

The story surrounding Zane was only mildly interesting to me. His character was a cool idea, I guess, but it wasn't executed as well as it could have been. He always seemed to me like a pretty two-dimensional character.

On 1/16/2019 at 7:16 AM, Pagliacci said:

Vin taking control of the Koloss through Allomancy always makes me feel uncomfortable.

Lord Ruler's secrets are pretty fun. He's one of the best posthumous characters you'll find in fantasy. 

8 hours ago, Marsh_Man said:

How do you guys like Zane? I thought Zane was quite amazing and powerful and I was upset when he died. Also, Please do not spoil anything past this book, but how do you feel about Marsh?

Reveal hidden contents

Marsh is the man

Zane is not tho. Personally i think Sanderson did his job if he written Zane to just cause chaos and annoyance but for a likeable character not so much. He's a poor-mans Kelsier that is setup as Elend's foil. A bad foil.

Edited by goody153