Adolin and Mayalaran Poll

Dalakaar

Do you want Adolin to resurrect Maya and become an Edgedancer?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Adolin to resurrect Maya and become an Edgedancer?

• Yes I want Adolin to resurrect and bond Maya and become a Knight Radiant
    • No I don't want Adolin to become a Knight Radiant
    • I want something this poll doesn't include so I'd better reply

My completely unbiased poll for no apparent reason.

Do you want Adolin to resurrect Maya and become an Edgedancer?

Me personally I want him to resurrect Maya but I don't want Maya capable of a bond. A shardblade yes, a KR no. Part of my desire is to have fewer KR PoVs, and part of it is that I'd like to see some consequences attached to what happened to Maya in the first place. She can be brought back from certain doom but some things just can't be fixed, and I find magic in worlds tend to devalue consequences like that.

I like Adolin as he is now, he is already one of the few main characters without any kind of powers, and it feels somewhat refreshing. Also i don't want his struggle of trying to be useful for the kingdom to be resolved with a (sort of) Deux ex Machina of getting powers. I want it to be resolved with him dealing with it, he was used to always being stronger and in control because of his set of shards and not having powers has made him more down to earth and a lot more mature.

Edited by Xavier Iriarte

He's born on the top of the social food chain, but doesn't follow neither the 'Game of Houses' (as Thom Merrilin would call it) nor 'Dalinar's Code'. To me, even his pursuit for Shallan didn't seem genuine. I feel there is something else he wants to do apart from playing dress-up and I'm still looking forward to see that. I don't mind if that's Maya's resurrection, but I certainly want him to struggle for it, put the effort in for once. Not because I hate him, but I think it would make a more interesting plot. 

I used to be bothered by the fact that I find Adolin in a morally gray area. In my mind he doesn't fill fit the KR heroic ideals. But I've come to realise that maybe, the KRs of this timeline could all be a different sort than what was in the past, since Honor is now dead. Maybe there is something more to what's going on in regards to the general idea of 'Radiancy' especially since we know that Unmade have enlightenment abilities. 

But still, as a reader, I feel that Adolin needs some sort of redemptive path for shirking his responsibility for refusing the throne and for killing off Sadeas like a street thug. 

(BTW you should've included resurrect but not KR since your third option seems to get a lot of votes.) 

I think it interesting that Maya is the one who is broken, and Adolin is the one filling the cracks in her soul, sort of the opposite of how a Nahal bond usually works. So, even though I do want Adolin to resurrect her and become an Edgedancer, I voted "other", because I think it is possible for it to be something new and different  instead. My big interest in Maya is that she was part of the Recreance, and if she gets her smarts back she can potentially explain what happened. I look forward to seeing Adolin and Maya's bond deepen. If at the end of it all Adolin gets to be an Edgedancer too, that's also cool. 

43 minutes ago, insert_anagram_here said:

(BTW you should've included resurrect but not KR since your third option seems to get a lot of votes.) 

I actually did but deleted it as I thought the poll might get a bit convoluted if I did. Probably should've but oh well!

I absolutely want Maya to be revived, and I suspect the only way that's going to happen is if she forms a Nahel bond with Adolin. I think that's cool though and Adolin would make a great Edgedancer.

And I agree with @CosmicSieve's point about the Recreance, I definitely think there's more to what went down there then we know and Maya could shed some light on that situation as well. And, also, her revival could encourage more spren to take the risk of bonding which Team Unity definitely needs.

Plus, I'm just a huge sucker for the power of friendship and love triumphing.

PS: Thanks for making your own topic instead of derailing the other one.

Edited by CrazyRioter

I'd love to see Maya revived, both because of the spren resurrection and potential Radiant powers for Adolin. He and Lift would make a great Edgedancer team, especially as Lift is not a warrior (and has a pacifist for a spren :D).

I wouldn't be bothered by Adolin becoming a full KR. He works as he is now, but there are a lot of books to come (and hopefully, he'll be in all of them and not die off) and since he's been so awesome with Maya from the beginning I beieve he deserves this "reward".
I'd also be fine with him only getting part Radiant powers, like Maya as a Shardblade any maybe the healing factor of Stormlight.

But in the end I'd much prefer Adolin becoming a full Edgedancer, just because it would be incredibly entertaining and because of the potential figure skating AU: Adolin would LOVE the glittery costumes ...

Oh, and I want to see Syl's face when a corpse-wielding Shardbearer just ... revives the corpse.

Something definitely is going to happen with Maya. I can't imagine Brandon just giving us her name and Adolin summoning her in less than ten heartbeats without anything more coming from it.

Edited by Winds Alight

So we have Dalinar the overlord who has almost godlike powers now.

Shallan who slowly learns how to make an army of illusions that could be used for actual fighting instead of being distractions only at some point.

Kaladin who is basically the perfect soldier and can fly as well

Jasnah who is pure destruction in OB

Sure, let's make all POV characters radiant.

While we are at that though why not make every human on roshar radiant, let them all train with their powers in book 4 and end everything in book 5. Odium get's a kick in the butt and everybody lives happily ever after.

If every character who has a POV is radiant that would be far less interesting. Both storywise and for character interactions.

Also Syl would probably be like: "well that does only barely make up fo all the time you used her while dead - don't be so smug now" :P

Well, as things are, they need a lot more Radiants to stand a chance against Odium and his army. Things are only going to become harder and despite all their powers it wasn't exactly easy to turn things around in OB.

I personally don't care much about most POV characters being Radiants. Things like that rarely bother me, and the books are about Radiants and magic and stuff after all. Kinda ^^

3 minutes ago, Void89 said:

That's like making everybody in LOTR like Gandalf and Galadriel and saying "yeah well it's about magic" - sorry not seeing it :P

LOTR is a different kind of setting with a different kind of magic.It wouldn't make sense for there to be a lot of magic using characters in that setting because that's not the kind of setting it is.

In some settings magic is rare, in other settings its common.

Too much magic runs the risk of dehumanizing the perspective though. Magic isn't rare but keeping the street level eye keeps things interesting. Even if magic abounds around them.

15 minutes ago, Winds Alight said:

TBH I'd really enjoy giving Pippin a staff and telling him "Yer a wizard now Pip!" and see where it goes. :P

Something like this↓ but (much) worse.

Spoiler

oqQTi9.gif

:) 

I start to disassociate with characters at a certain point when magic solves more problems than it creates. Healing for instance is a very fine line to me. It's starting to crop up and I'm curious how actively it'll be used. Too much, or too powerful, and a sense of danger is lost. An example of this would be Szeths return. Sort of pondering how much of Szeth would've been left to work with. :wacko:

1 minute ago, Dalakaar said:

I start to disassociate with characters at a certain point when magic solves more problems than it creates.

I guess that's a personal thing here which is perfectly valid (I too have things that are practically dealbreakers in a story for me).
But maybe that's just the thing? We kinda know that Ashyn was destroyed "by Surgebinding". What if the danger of that going to happen relates to the number of Surgebinders? If that's the case, magic wouldn't really solve more problems than creating.

Other thought: Let's have everyone be a Radiant and Stormlight running low because resources can't be recharged as fast as they're used up. Uiiiih.

Forget about magic then and insert 'super good fighter' - doesn't matter which ability/term you use - making to many main protagonists 'awesome' is always dangerous.

And even Sanderson usually doesn't make everybody supernatural (Sarene, Siri for example).

But I get it I guess 'let's make the beautiful prince get everything now - predictable, yeah but who cares' :P

6 minutes ago, Winds Alight said:

Other thought: Let's have everyone be a Radiant and Stormlight running low because resources can't be recharged as fast as they're used up. Uiiiih.

Interesting idea that could work, I value the limitation more than the particulars. I've said before I bet Lift will be in a situation with other KR where she's the only one that gets to be awesome. 

The "Adolin shouldn't be a KR because not everyone needs to be a KR argument" has always read to me like "you know what Harry Potter needed? a Muggle main character."

To attempt to quote Vasher without WoR in front of me, Roshar is "invested to the hilt and looking for a place to stuff it all." Sort of intrinsically its a story with a ton of magic in it, and I think anyone who's a main character is going to have to interact with it in some way, whether it be as a KR, Navani and her fabrials, or on the weird frontier like Adolin and Renarin are in their own ways. Yes, there are going to be characters who aren't interacting with magic but I think by necessity they'll be increasingly sidelined. And I'm okay with that. In fact I'd find it increasingly difficult to believe that Adolin would be able to contribute much of anything moving forward if he doesn't end up going Edgedancer other than just some background moral support for Shallan and I think he deserves more than that as a character

Here is how I feel.

Adolin is a good character as he is now, but I think he will revive the spren.

But does Adolin sound like the Edgedancer type to you?

He doesn't seem like that kind of person to me. I hope the spren revives but that it goes to someone else instead.

I agree with this:

7 hours ago, Dalakaar said:

Me personally I want him to resurrect Maya but I don't want Maya capable of a bond. A shardblade yes, a KR no. Part of my desire is to have fewer KR PoVs, and part of it is that I'd like to see some consequences attached to what happened to Maya in the first place. She can be brought back from certain doom but some things just can't be fixed, and I find magic in worlds tend to devalue consequences like that.

I feel like they will discover how to revive spren, but they won't bond to anyone.

Pros:

Shardblades come instantly

Cons:

No bonding

Edited by Rashek of Bridge Four

I dont know that I would want him to just randomly become a Knight, but I would be very pleased with him being the first to successfully revive a Deadeye shardblade, proving it is possible and (I hope) paving the way for the Sibling to reawaken and give us a new Bondsmith. 

Then I want the Training Scenes:  Adolin getting to be the awkward novice for once, Renarin getting to teach him Regrowth (which I'll say for the sake of comedy he struggles with more than any of his previous endeavors), and Lift just being no help whatsoever and being entirely content with that role. 

7 minutes ago, Rashek of Bridge Four said:

He doesn't seem like that kind of person to me. I hope the spren revives but that it goes to someone else instead.

Curiously that's what I thought in the beginning as well when I heard Maya was an Edgedancer's blade, but the more I think about it, the more I believe he'd be perfect Edgedancer material.

I don't have much info about them at hand, but from what I can remember they're the most graceful of the Orders - and that's an attribute Adolin definitely has.
Healing is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think about him, but neither was it with Lift in her first chapter in WoR.
But: Adolin playes a part in healing/helping heal Shallan and Kaladin. Remember how much Kaladin hated lighteyes? Adolin (as well as Shallan) played a huge part in changing that.

Also, their Oaths are about remembering the forgotten and listening to those who are ignored.
The remembering part fits his family's background - where Dalinar forgot about Evi for a long time, Adolin always remembered her. He kept carrying her necklace as a good luck charm.
And the listening part: Adolin was the first one to actually believe Kaladin about Amaram. (The first lighteyes, that is.) I think that somehow fits.

51 minutes ago, Rashek of Bridge Four said:

Does Venli sound like the Willshaper type to you?

Honestly, I don’t think, besides for some very tenuous connections, that either Venli or Adolin naturally fit their orders. But I think there is enough potential for both of them to grow into their respective orders. If Venli can bond Timbre, then I’m sure that Adolin can easily bond Maya (assuming it’s possible).

3 hours ago, Void89 said:

Forget about magic then and insert 'super good fighter' - doesn't matter which ability/term you use - making to many main protagonists 'awesome' is always dangerous.

And even Sanderson usually doesn't make everybody supernatural (Sarene, Siri for example).

But I get it I guess 'let's make the beautiful prince get everything now - predictable, yeah but who cares' :P

You can’t put non magic characters in combat situations in these types of books. The two that you noted were purely political. Another good example is Dox, and we know how being in a fight worked out for him. If Adolin is going to be involved in fights in the future, he will need access to some form of magic. Any other scenario ends with him dead imo.