Are you afraid of Sanderson been unable to finish Cosmere?

IcaroRibeiro

This man work full of his time writing so many books at the same time, but he still in his middle age. When he becomes older I'm not quite sure he's going to write as much as he can now. He plans to release:

- 2 Elantris sequels

- A Warbreaker sequel

- 2 new Mistborn trilogies (the last Mistborn trilogy is going to be the last Cosmere work)

- More 7 Stormlight Archive Books

- Dragonsteel (Hoid origin story)

Even if he's a writing machine it will took at least twenty-five years to write all these books (I'm guessing he spend 2 years for each Stormlight book). By that time he would be about 70 years old. Plus, we have only 10 know shards, which means we'll need more series to be written to present these shards

So, I'm not sure if he can write about all the series he's planning, specially when he wants to write 10 Stormlight Books and have a big break between five 5 and 6 

What do you think? 

Edited by IcaroRibeiro

15 minutes ago, IcaroRibeiro said:

Plus, we have only 10 know shards, which means we'll need more series to be written to present these shards

He has said we might not get canon series for all of the Shards.

Also, yeah, Nightblood and Era 3 are more than likely going to happen in the gap between SA 5 and 6

I don't think Sanderson will write the same number of books as he already planned. Like Stormlight Archives will mostly be 10 books but Mistborn era 3/4 and DragonSteel could just be a short series instead of a long one. 

I think Era 3 and 4 could even be merged and the cosmere shortstories filling in between so that i covers the content of that timeline.

Lots of short-stories are a good way to fill the content of the future eras without writing whole damnation trilogies and 5 book series.

Edited by goody153

4 hours ago, IcaroRibeiro said:

I don't like the idea of let other author finish your work  

It is better than not getting it finished at all.

Personally, it worries me sometimes. The amount of Cosmere he has to get out along with other non-Cosmere stuff... but he should be okay. We have no way to predict the future, and to quote Newt Scamander, another great nerd:

”Worry means you suffer twice.”

I'm not super worried, as Brandon writes constantly. Not like some authors...*cough, cough Martin!* And while nobody wants another author to finish another author's work, it's good that he at least has a contingency plan. Hopefully he will never need to do that, but his output is astounding to me. I have faith in him!

If you look at mortality tables, you find out that Brandon has...I think something like an 75% chance of living to complete the Stormlight Archive (aka, the only Cosmere story I really care about), assuming he continues publishing at the rate he has so far.  Of course that doesn't take into account non-terminal accidents and illnesses that might inhibit his ability to write, or any additional slowdowns that may occur as he ages; so probably he has around a 70% chance of finishing the series.  Maybe 50-60% for Cosmere overall.

I'm not sure that worry is the right term, but I do take it into account.  The primary way I do so is by never recommending the Stormlight Archive to people Brandon's age or older, even if it would be right up their alley.  The reason is that if Brandon has a 70% chance of living to finish the series, and the person Brandon's age has a similar 70% chance of living that long, then the overall probability that a person Brandon's age or older is able to finish the series is less than 50%.  I can't in good conscience recommend a series with under a 50% chance of completion.

2 hours ago, Cadence McKinnon said:

The thing is, Mr. Sanderson has already written many of these stories. He wrote 13 novels before he published his first one, so...much of what is planned is a matter of re-writing those earlier novels. 

The only planned books that he's already written are Dragonsteel and Aether.  Dragonsteel was written decades ago (it was his thesis), and will assuredly require a *ton* of changes.  Plus it's hard to pick back up where you left off if you've been away from something for a while (see The Aztlanian).  

He has not written the rest of Stormlight (7 books), Mistborn (7 books), Nightblood, or the Elantris sequels.  

I think he would be wise to collaborate more in his writing. Imagine if he did the outlining for a book (for instance, Mistborn Era III) and co-wrote with someone else. He could cover a lot more ground this way. This might be similar to how White Sand or Death Without Pizza is being done. 

Of course, the thought of Jim Butcher doing Era III or Patrick Rothfuss doing Aether of Night, could be a lot of fun. These are, of course, very busy authors, but the point stands. 

I don't know. I just love the books he writes and I don't care, if I die before I get to read the Cosmere's conclusion. And I also can live on, if Brandon Sanderson decides not to write the conclusion. I simply enjoy the world he created and the characters he gave life - with or without final ending.

And: The progress bar of the SA 4 Outline just jumped to 25%. Even if I can live without having full closure, I love how open Brandon Sanderson is with his fans!

On 1/12/2019 at 6:48 PM, John203 said:

He also has plans for Brian McClellan to finish the cosmere if Sanderson pulls a Jordan.

He didn’t specifically say he has plans for McClellan to finish it. He just said that if the need arised, he’d be a good candidate—mainly for his ability to work with an outline.