WhiteEmporer

The unmade, the sibling, and pre-shard spren

8 posts in this topic

*stormlight spoilers*

So one of the big things that stood out to me reading the Roshar intro in Arcanum Unbounded is that the spren predate the arrival of the shards. This changes the way I think about the spren. I'd thought they were all splinters that had split off of the shards, but now we know it's a bit more complicated.

So on to the theory--the unmade are massive spren that existed on roshar pre-shattering. Upon the arrival of Odium, they were corrupted and coopted his investiture. They were made, then they were unmade.
I also have similar thoughts about the sibling. Either he's some huge spren (the spren of the Rosharan continent, maybe?) or the same kind of spren that the unmade were.
Maybe...there were ten major spren (ten's a good number for Roshar). When Odium corrupted nine of them to make the Unmade, one escaped and became the Sibling.

This could either be way off, or something everyone's figured out already :P Guess I'll find out. I'd love to hear what you think!

This is pretty plausible, although remember the sibling is a "they" and has no gender (Is that also important? Who knows)

This is a good theory and observation. It makes you wonder how intelligent spren are because they learnt how to bond with humans by watching the heralds do it (along with honour) and it was even stated that they did a better job at doing it compared to honour and the heralds. Also, were Void spren once normal spren who bonded with the Singers since they were the original people of the land or did they live in ignorance of the other?

Roshar was created by Adonalsium before Adonalsium was shattered, he created the Parshendi/listeners/whatever you want to call them, and the spren, those spren are referenced by Syl when she mentions the spren with four genders, I think it was in OB, and then Honor and Cultivation came and some spren were created maybe, not sure how it works maybe they were changed but Idk, by their shardic influence, then Odium came and more spren were created/changed from his influence, then humans came and a bunch of spren were created by their influence and tendency to personify things. Then honor splintered and that probably changed some things

I believe the sibling is another god spren, similar to the stormfather and the nightwatcher, though its unclear if it is related to Odium or a combination of Honor and Cultivation kind of like how the Surges are

10 minutes ago, Turtle373 said:

I believe the sibling is another god spren, similar to the stormfather and the nightwatcher, though its unclear if it is related to Odium or a combination of Honor and Cultivation kind of like how the Surges are

I think it’s most likely a combination of H&C. Why would a spren that is basically just a big Splinter of Odium bond a Radiant?

good point, plus that would make sense that stormfather would call it the sibling because its kind of like Honor is a "parent" to both

Yeah I am strongly of the opinion that the Sibling is a mix of Honor and Cultivation.