Hoid being too op in era 4

MrPotato

As we know, Hoid will be the protagonist of Mistborn era 4, but he is ridiculously overpowered right know. 

List of Hoid's powers: 

- lightweaving(old Yolen magic & being bonded to a Cryptic)

- Healing(stormlight, possibly Yolen magic)

- Agelessness(Yolen magic?)

- Lerasium Misborn

- Fortune(more old Yolen magic?)

- Surgebinder(he will probably have sworn at least 4 oaths by era 4)

- Worldhopping(by technology or unknown magic?)

- Extensive knowledge about the basically everything(not really a power but hey, knowledge is power right?)

- Ability to speak multiple languages(unless he wastes his time learning a new language everytime he worldhops to a new planet, he probably have some access to Connection)

- Some form of defence against people in other realms(Kelsier got hurt when he tried to touch him in the Cognitive realm)

- Probably have some form of knowledge on Forgery and probably have a bunch of Breaths and unkeyed metalminds stored away somewhere

Brando Sando(yes that what I call him in every circumstance, regards from r/cremposting) probably needs to do something to Hoid or the rest of the Cosmere to actually provide challenges to Hoid

Possible solution 1: Hoid get a major power downgrade before era 4, possibly by the hands of those 17th Shard people who are trying to find him in SA(forgot which book). Or everyone in the Cosmere gets a major power downgrade(maybe due to something major happening with the Shards?)  

Possible solution 2: Either all of the main characters encountered in era 4 will be just as overpowered(fighting against people just as old as Hoid or maybe even a Shard) as Hoid or technology has advanced to the point where it can substitute magic(Fabrials, unkeyed Metalminds, maybe even some Elantrian made stuff)

Edited by MrPotato

Hoid is already too powerful, and pretty much has been for as long as we've seen him. Mr Sandman has limited Hoid some, though. He can't cause harm directly, and even thinking about it messes with him.

8 minutes ago, MrPotato said:

Hoid will be the protagonist of Mistborn era 4

Did I miss something? When was that said, because that's a juicy tidbit, and make Hoid as a protagonist the bookends for the entirety of the cosmere, with Dragonsteel and Era 4 both having him as protagonist.

14 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Did I miss something? When was that said, because that's a juicy tidbit, and make Hoid as a protagonist the bookends for the entirety of the cosmere, with Dragonsteel and Era 4 both having him as protagonist.

Can't/too lazy to find an Arcanum link but according to the Coppermind Era 4 will have Hoid as the main character and greatly involve the Sleepless

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Mistborn_(series)#Era_4:_Third_Mistborn_Trilogy

1 minute ago, I think I am here. said:

I wonder if he’ll be a mentor-type figure for another main-character.

come to think of it, that is probably going to be what is going to happen 

49 minutes ago, Calderis said:

A main character... That's still limited by his complete inability to harm people. 

Wait why can't he harm people again? I really would like to see Hoid kick some chull

2 minutes ago, MrPotato said:

I really would like to see Hoid kick some chull

come on 17th shard, what do you think I am, the word a_s is clearly referring to a donkey, there is no point in censoring that XD

edit: also kicking a chull will probably hurt a lot 

Edited by MrPotato

Sanderson did mention that there will be a time that will come and pass that people will have mixed magic(i assume this would be at least era 3 if not era 4 mistborn) so Hoid wouldn't exactly be unique in his circumstances. There will be other people who will have mixed magic

So he won't be that really broken as rust but he will have huge advantage considering his experience, wide range of tools and well place in the story(aka the main protagonist of the entire cosmere).

Agree with most of the posters here. While he will likely be overpowered, he is limited by his inability to do harm. And given the spread of things like hemalurgy and unkeyed metal minds, it won't be that impossible to imagine a situation in which he's not particularly op compared to everyone else. 

That said, way too early to speculate on era 4. For all we know, SA ends with the creation of a super shard that is a combination of multiple of the 16. Or some other force grows in numbers to combat him. 

He is after all only one man however op. You have to imagine him against the rest of the cosmetic will still be a heavily disadvantaged fight given he can't do damage and he's still limited to being finite. 

I imagine by Era 4 most magic systems will have been mechanized to a large degree. We have already seen the Ire's Dor pipeline, Bands of Morning/Unkeyed metalminds and fabrial tech. It's not difficult to imagine these things being common by Era 4.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:03 PM, MrPotato said:

- Worldhopping(by technology or unknown magic?)

Hoid uses Shardpools to get to/from the Cognitive Realm.  

On 1/11/2019 at 10:03 PM, MrPotato said:

- Ability to speak multiple languages(unless he wastes his time learning a new language everytime he worldhops to a new planet, he probably have some access to Connection)

Hoid is using Connection to speak the local languages. This is why he sometimes makes mistakes, like "coin" instead of "sphere."

Edited by Scion of the Mists

The WoB is quoted as:

"Q:  When are we going to get Hoid's book?
A:  Hoid has 6 books, they are the 3 books of Dragonsteel, which are prequels and the last Mistborn trilogy of the nine book arc will have him as a main character."

So from this it seems pretty clear that he won't be THE main character, but one of multiple, as is common in the Cosmere :D

This also could've changed - this was from the WoR signing in San Francisco, presumably 2014. The WoB directly before this one (as taken from the original 17S post) says that the order of the front five SA books would be Kaladin, Shallan, Szeth, Eshonai, Dalinar - and as we know from OB, that's changed.

Personally, I'm hoping he plays a larger role than he currently does in SA, if not just because I absolutely love him as Wit and I want MORE

• Chaos locked this topic