Radiant Order Team Ups

Watchcry

Through Dalinar's vision we know that on at least one occasion Windrunners and Stonewards teamed up. Do you suppose it was because their ideals were similar or because their orders' surges worked really well together?

What other orders do you guys think would work well together based on their surges? How would you deploy Radiants based on their strengths and weaknesses? What tactics, techniques, and procedures would you adopt?

I'd probably set up multiple teams composed of one Windrunner, one Stoneward, one Edgedancer, and one Lightweaver. Ideal combination, even if you remove the Lightweaver, who is mostly there for the extended missions that need Soulcasting. Windrunner for group transportation, Stoneward for fortification and emergency escape stuff, Edgedancer for medical. That seems to be one of the ideal combat groupings, get the Windrunner to drop himself and the Stoneward in the middle of the battle behind/in the middle of enemy lines (if they have both Blade and Plate), and then they can fight back-to-back and crush whoever and whatever they're fighting, carving their way through the poor defenseless cretins without magic glow powers with Shardweapons and the very stone under their feet turning into an enemy from the Stoneward. If the trip was long and they have a Lightweaver there, the Lightweaver could help with the people who aren't wounded enough to need the Edgedancer's Regrowth with heliodor and garnet Soulcasting. Absolutely ideal situation there.

Though if you're looking for exploration or parley groupings, Willshapers and Elsecallers together would work well, maybe with an emergency Windrunner, too, for evac where they can't transition or flying back up to Urithiru.

32 minutes ago, Kon-Tiki said:

This thread makes me want a D&D party style arc (like the excursion to Kholinar) with Jasnah in it, though that's more unlikely than ever now that she's queen of the Alethi

I tried to do a cosmere DnD thing, but none of my friends irl know cosmere so it didn't go anywhere.

I'd want to know way more about each of the KR orders before committing to making a Roshar-oriented system. We know the surges in theory but a lot of them not so much in practice, like tension or cohesion or transportation. And that doesn't even account for voidbinding, artifabrication, Old Magic, and whatever else is out there. Roshar would be a wacky RPG all on its own

11 minutes ago, Kon-Tiki said:

I'd want to know way more about each of the KR orders before committing to making a Roshar-oriented system. We know the surges in theory but a lot of them not so much in practice, like tension or cohesion or transportation. And that doesn't even account for voidbinding, artifabrication, Old Magic, and whatever else is out there. Roshar would be a wacky RPG all on its own

That's fair. I tried to do a Mistborn one too, but the same issue came up. No one knew about it.

Just now, Kon-Tiki said:

I'd love to do a Blades in the Dark hack for era 2 Mistborn. The two just sort of seem made for each other

Yeah, you're pretty right. That might be the only non-homebrew system I'd consider for something like this. (I'm a fan of making homebrew systems for flexibility, and they generally end up somewhat of a mashup of multiple official versions)

Forged in the Dark is designed to be hacked, too, which makes it feel less like cheating. And it has the right level of crunch for Mistborn too.

To actually engage with the topic of the thread, I feel like a Gravitation KR is mandatory on pretty much any mission, and a Progression KR is mandatory on any mission that has non-KRs in it. I think you can use Division users or Stonewards pretty interchangably, as these seem like the "breaking things" surges. Illumination users are almost always useful, but only mandatory on stealth type missions. Abrasion seems to me so far to actually be among the weaker surges, and I don't think we know enough about Tension, Cohesion, or Transportation to judge their effectiveness. Transformation is incredibly strong, but also seems like a significant drain on stormlight so I don't know how much you'd want to rely on it out in the field, unless as Invocation noted you're on a long term mission without easy access to food.

1 hour ago, Kon-Tiki said:

I feel like a Gravitation KR is mandatory on pretty much any mission, and a Progression KR is mandatory on any mission that has non-KRs in it. I think you can use Division users or Stonewards pretty interchangably, as these seem like the "breaking things" surges. Illumination users are almost always useful, but only mandatory on stealth type missions.

I agree although I wonder how much healers would be beneficial if they were up against similarly powerful beings. To sort of put it in the perspective I'm coming at:

Everyone does 1000-5000 dmg.

Progression can heal 1000 hp.

Yet people only have a health pool of 20.

Yeah healing is great, but when you have Dustbringers nuking entire swathes of land/people healing stops becoming useful. Like sending a specialized surgeon to treat a nuclear bomb. The narrower the field between damage and health the more emphasis on healing there is. And healing is great, but only if there's something left to be healed.

Mind you a creepy flip side to that is something I've been wondering about Progression. Can they make viruses progress? Ie. Can a skillful Truthwatcher become a Plaguebringer? Because then you really want a counter to that.

3 minutes ago, Dalakaar said:

Mind you a creepy flip side to that is something I've been wondering about Progression. Can they make viruses progress? Ie. Can a skillful Truthwatcher become a Plaguebringer? Because then you really want a counter to that.

That is theoretically possible, I think, with enough finesse and (hehe) progression on the Oaths. Someone asked Brandon about micro-organisms and Progression a while ago, but I can't find the WOB right now.

• Chaos locked this topic