Reading The Wheel of Time Together [SPOILERS!]

ILuvHats

7 hours ago, Kcitsmood said:

Well I'll start again...

im on audiobook, so can we do like 3-7 chapters per session? Also we should start from where @Kidpen is, where are you @Kidpen?

I am on page one.

I'll get going today. I've never actually been able to finish it before, but hopefully I should be able to if I have motivation.

2 hours ago, whattheHoid said:

I'll probably put the show on my own media server. I could check and see if I could share it. It's my Plex media server. You would have to create an account. I believe it's free. I would need to check that though! So don't do anything yet, also the show isn't out.

Oh cool!

But as far as I know it will be an amazon series, and usually there is only a short gap between when we get it to the original date. But then it also depends on whether it gets translated or not, or if I can get my hands on the OV. Let's simply wait and see how they handle it.

Edited by Sorana

Yeah, with certain shows I generally will download and put on to my server. I try to get the ones with subtitles. Big shows like that are easy to find with subtitles. But it depends. Either way, we have a while to go till the show gets round to being done, so I'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Like I said, if I need to and for the sake of our WOT discussion I wouldn't mind sharing. Of course, you'd also have access to all of my other TV shows and movies, and etc. too. But again, we'll see how this all goes.

18 hours ago, Kcitsmood said:

im on audiobook, so can we do like 3-7 chapters per session?

Do you mean 3-7 chapters per week?  Thats pretty slow.  We can do a quarter of a book per week, so about 175 pages.  At that rate it’d take us a little under a year.

Oh yeah.  I should have clarified.  I meant we should do approximately 240 pages rounding to the nearest chapter.  I was just confused because you mentioned 3-7 chapters without a time frame.  I’ll edit the top post to show a schedule for the first 3 books tonight.  Next Monday is the first deadline.  Even though there’s less than a week till then, I think everybody should be okay, especially since I’m guessing a lot of people will have a 3 day weekend with next Monday being MLK day.  Let’s get to reading!

Edited by ILuvHats

Oh MLK day is Martin Luther King day. He was an awesome fellow and his most famous speech was ,"I have a Dream!" He was a strong advocate of equality between people of all colors and race. I believe he was alive around the 1960 somethings? He was amazing and seemed like a cool guy. I believe his kids were guest stars on the show Reading Rainbow. They were cool and that is a good show. Disclaimer, my MLK knowledge is rusty! Look him up on Google! He's worth the look and so is his speech too!

Next Monday sounds good to me, for the book!

Ok, I finally got around to editing the opening post and listing the schedule.  Took longer than I thought, though.  I got really precise with trying to make sure each week had an equal amount of material, so I had my calculator out.  And then I realized that for some of the books, the prologues were listed with latin number pages, so I had to redo the math and redivide the chapters (if you can't tell, I can get pretty meticulous).  But I think we're all good now.

Ok, so I just realized that there is a prequel to this series, called New Spring. It is the tale of Lan and Moiraine and the origin of thier epic quest. Do we want to start that first? Or should we read that last after AMOL? I've already started EOT....boy I forgot how good it is!!!!

6 hours ago, Rhapsody said:

Hi can I still join?

Of course.  People can join the discussion whenever.  Also, since you’ve already finished WoT, feel free to just talk about what you remember instead of reading along.  

3 hours ago, whattheHoid said:

Ok, so I just realized that there is a prequel to this series, called New Spring. It is the tale of Lan and Moiraine and the origin of thier epic quest. Do we want to start that first? Or should we read that last after AMOL? I've already started EOT....boy I forgot how good it is!!!!

I was not aware this was a thing!  Thanks for bringing it up.  I think we should read it last after AMOL, though.  There’s pros and cons to reading a prequel.  If you read it first, it makes more sense chronologically.  But if you read it last, I feel like you get more value since you’re more invested in the characters, and also there might be slight spoilers if Moirane and Lan have hidden parts of there past.  Plus, I don’t have the book in addition to others probably, so we’ll have to postpone the first deadline so we can have time to get out hands on it.

My suggestion regarding New Spring would be to read it in publication order---between Crossroads of Twilight and Knife of Dreams.  This guarantees no spoilers, since Robert Jordan was not about to use a prequel to spoil the main-sequence volumes he had yet to write.  On the other hand, he may well include things mentioned in the already-published books, so I would definitely advise against reading it first.  (Also, his style and worldbuilding evolved a bit over time, as the original post mentioned before it was edited, so going from New Spring to The Eye of the World could be jarring.)  Finally, to the extent the prequel adds anything to any character, it would seem useful to gain that before you reach the end.

It's relatively short, so it shouldn't disrupt the flow too much between Crossroads of Twilight and Knife of Dreams.

$0.02

When I first read the series, I read all 13? 14? Books and than I read New Spring as I found out about it in the middle of the series. I dunno if it would give away any spoilers as I was over halfway through the series. I thought I would just put it out there as chronologically, it comes before the events in WOT.

Edited by whattheHoid

1 hour ago, Just a Lifetime said:

My suggestion regarding New Spring would be to read it in publication order---between Crossroads of Twilight and Knife of Dreams.  This guarantees no spoilers, since Robert Jordan was not about to use a prequel to spoil the main-sequence volumes he had yet to write. 

That sounds good.  I was too lazy to look up when New Spring was published, but reading them in the order they came out makes sense.