Reading The Wheel of Time Together [SPOILERS!]

ILuvHats

4 minutes ago, Gancho Libre said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Huh?

Spoiler

Exactly.

Which is to say, crem got real weird, and storm me if I know exactly what was going on with the all-caps voice that told Rand, "IT IS NOT HERE."  I could Google for theories about that, but I've done so in the past, and whatever I read didn't satisfy me (and also would involve series-spanning spoilers, I suspect).

The rest is more straightforward.  After the Green Man pyrrhically pwned Balthamel, Aginor went after Rand, and they both tried to seize the purified saidin in the Eye.  For some reason Aginor lost control (his 'greed overcame him' according to Ba'alzamon), accidentally offing himself like a chump.  That left Rand with plenty of magic juice to Travel to Tarwin's Gap and become the cannon for the Trolloc fodder.  But... "IT IS NOT HERE", so the all-caps voice gave Rand a magic staircase to Ba'alzamon, who ended up satisfyingly scorched after provoking Rand with a possibly real vision of his dead momma.

I think this is one of Jordan's weaker climaxes, since the magic has not yet been very clearly explained but it's being used to solve conflicts left and right.

Yeah I think that possible spoiler...

Spoiler

Rand used the Saidin supply in the Eye/prison and used it to pwn Aignor, the Trolloc Army via fast travel and sliced the Dark One's tie to, I think the World. So possibly his influence on the world isn't as strong. As if you noticed, the Blight started to recede a little and spring finally arrives.

I could be wrong though, the climax is a bit confusing.

I shall never apologize for my vocal and endearing love for the Uncrowned King of Malkier, Lan! My love for you is like two hares leaping amongst the rushes on the pond!

4 hours ago, Just a Lifetime said:

Perhaps certain posters' ardor for a certain Diademed Battle Lord might have scared off some of the more bashful participants?

Yeah, not going to lie, I was thinking about catching up, and then I saw the contents of the thread at that point, and was just like nahh, I think I'll pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I dunno if we are still doing this. If we aren't, this will be my last posting on this. But I do hope all first time readers still read through the series! I am up to Chapter 30 so I;ll just do my analysis of those chapters as I am reading Lady of the Lake still and it is the last book in the Witcher series; I can't just stop that series now! The Witcher train is going full steam ahead! So as always, I have read this series before so possible spoilers, which you shall be warned about. Read them at your own risk!

So, we open up The Great Hunt with a Prologue with a Darkfriend meeting! And we see Ba'alzamon! He's not physically there, but he is methodically breaking out prison and busting out! So a couple of notes about the meeting. I don't know for sure, but I think the meeting is at Shayol Ghul. Which how did they get there? Did a Fade transport them there? I don't think they traveled through the Ways. Maybe Portal Stones? Or has Forsaken brought them there through, spoilers! 

Spoiler

teleportation.

We don't know. Also the servants with the dead eyes with perfect physical perfection. Can some give me a spoilers!

Spoiler

Graendal! We know they are your servants. Classic Compulsion case!

We see Aes Sedai which cements the existence of the Black Ajah! And we find out that the protagonist in the Prologue, Bors, is a Child of Light. Ooh the irony!

So then we get back to Shienar and to Rand and Co. several months after the 1st book. I love Lan for many reasons, but one of them is the time he puts in to train Rand with the sword. We find out later before leaving Shienar, that Moiraine, the Amyrlin, and Verin know that Rand is the Dragon Reborn. So Rand is under not only the pressure of become mad with the use of Saidin, but that he is the one to save the world. Poor Rand is under a lot of stress and I believe that Lan's training with the sword probably really helps him. That and the friendship Lan and he develop. While we see that now Nynaeve and Egwene are even a little frightened of what Rand is now capable of; Lan never bats an eyelid. I dunno if that is because he is a Borderlander or because of his special training as he is the Uncrowned King of Malkier. Whatever it is, he is certainly made of stern stuff! So Rand meets the Amyrlin and she is a tough bird with lots of fish sayings. Makes sense. It seems that the White Tower, ideally would've wanted the Dragon in their custody to  maybe do some damage control. It seems they think that the Dragon is a ticking time bomb and I really feel awful for any man that can channel in this Universe. So in the end, Rand, Matt, Perrin, and Loial all go with Ingtar and Co. to get the Horn of Valere from Fain. Wow he is like a Darkfriend on steriods and to get that dagger for Mat as Mat isn't doing too hot.

So eventually Rand tells Mat and Perrin he can channel. And I really hate Mat's reaction. It would be one thing if they were strangers, but come on dude. You've known him your whole life and you just up and abandon him!? Like, to me, the whole point of being friends, is being there when they are at their lowest and highest and if anyone needed his friends to have his back it is Rand al'Thor. Perrin, unsurprisingly understands as he has his whole wolfy thing going on. But don't worry Mat matures later, not a huge amount, but eventually you start to think ok that's what I was waiting for! So the company to find the Horn gets split up.

Then we find out Portal Stones are a thing and that the Age of Legends was an apropos name. The Aes Sedai of the time figured out what appears to be multiverses and how to get there. This is not to mention the Ways, which is basically just fast traveling. So that's sweet! Of course we find out sort of what Portal Stones are thanks to Loial and Selene. Ugh, Selene also known as, spoiler

Spoiler

Lanfear.

I don't know about you, but when I first read this and was introduced to her, I was thinking there is something  fishy about her. Rand abort! She's cray cray! I dunno why, maybe it's her mysterious knowledge or her creepily clingyness to Rand and always whispering to him about power and glory. Like dude! Don't ever mess around with crazy! You may have a fun time for a while, but you always regret it later and sometimes it gets bloody. Also her mysterious penchant for disappearing! It's like she vanishes out of thin air!

So they get to Cairhien and boy what a stark contrast between Cairhien proper and the Forgate. I find the Cairhienin to be a very severe and sombre people who always are appraising you and trying to one up you. We all may have met someone like that in our life, but the Cairhienin have made an art and game out of it call Daes Dae'mar. And porr Rand seems to be playing right into it! We also see Perrin taking the role of Hurin as the sniffer, albeit reluctantly. And we see Verin go to our Horn seeking company too. Verin, she is amazing and full of surprises. That's all I'll say on that!

Ooh! and we meet the Seanchan! Now they are an interesting people and culture! From what we know of them so far; they seem to be very structured. And the way the furniture is described, I almost get a Japanese feel? Poor Domon and poor damane! I really hated that part about the Seanchan. They seem to think that they are animals, if they are being leashed and used as weapons. Of course we find more about them towards the end of the book and in the series. But that really grinds my gears. They seem to be intent on taking back the whole Continent. Yeeeaaahhh, good luck! You're gonna get just a little resistance. But it is looking like things soon are coming to a head on Toman Head real soon.

Well that is it for now. If we are done with this discussion, that's fine. I'll probably still reread this series as i've already started. I can't stop now! I dunno if maybe when the show comes out we could all do a comparison of the books and show? Well hope everyone is having a good day/night! Blood and Bloody Ashes, it's Friday!

Edited by whattheHoid

• 2 weeks later...

Alright well, I'm here to post my thoughts on the end of the Great Hunt and up to Chapter 20 of the Dragon Reborn. I am up to Chapter 43, but I will post about that later. As always, I will let you know if there are any spoilers and blah blah. And without further ado, let's get this review going!

So the end of the Great Hunt; I'll briefly talk about that. The Seanchan are drove back from Falme. Mat blows the Horn and Rand battles it out with Ba'alzamon in the sky. And Egwene and Nyneave go with Mat, Verin, and Hurin back to Tar Valon for training and healing. While Rand is reunited with Moiraine and Lan and the lovely Min. Perrin stays with him too. Rand is seriously injured and it might be a problem. I have thought that spoiler?

Spoiler

Perhaps this side wound, as it is tainted with the Dark One's touch only further hastens Rand's "madness?" I put that in quotations as i am not entirely sure the voice of Lews Therin is a symptom of madness. I speculate that perhaps Rand's body is inhabited by 2 souls and Lews Therin became more "sentient" as Rand channeled and met with the Forsaken time and time again. This is just my theory and have no definitive proof.

So everybody has heard about Falme and the heros of the Horn and the man in the sky; i.e. The Dragon is Reborn. Lanfear reveals herself to be Selene to Min and to the reader and oh man so shocked! (not)

Now the Dragon Reborn. This book to me is the start of Rand trying real hard to keep his sanity together; as in, he is under a lot of pressure to not only channel a tainted force and save the world. But he has to convince people to band together. He certainly can't do this on his own. He has no one to train him to channel; his only viable option for that, I guess would be to get a male Forsaken to help. We've met 2 male ones at the end of the Eye of the World, but I can't imagine he'll be able to do that without going over to Ba'alzamon's side. I suppose he could ask one of these false Dragons; but the Red Ajah is swift. So Rand doesn't have a lot of options and I imagine Moiraine just telling him; figure it out really grinds his gears. Moiraine is amazing; but girl! He is trying his best! Perrin is trying his best to control his connection with the wolves; but I get the impression; he is doing more harm to himself than good. I think it would help if he trusted in himself and his ability. But if he did that we wouldn't have much of a story. You feel bad for Perrin and Mat as Rand sort of takes priority over the any other ta'veren; and as we will see Perrin and Mat are essential to this puzzle. So Rand just runs away and Lan, Moiraine, Loial, and Perrin chase after Rand. Before leaving, Min warns Perrin of a falcon and a hawk; two women. And we wonder, will Perrin be with two women? Married to two women? Will he be shared in the way Min implies, Rand will either have more than one lover/wife? Poor Min, I have never fallen in love a first sight, but I have been in love and it's hard and it must be harder still to be in love with the bloody Dragon Reborn!

It is also interesting to note the effect a strong ta'veren holds on the "common folk." By this I mean, people who are not ta'veren whatsoever, not rank. It seems like the Pattern, knowing it's possible end is perhaps hastening events which would have or may have happened at one point; just more naturally. And perhaps Rand, because he is so strongly ta'veren, helped the Pattern push that along? I would assume that in Randland, The Pattern only has so many endings/ so many possibilities for one's life to go. I don't think anyone's life is really predestined by the Pattern, unless you are Ta'veren; even then, it seems you have some wiggle room; just as long you complete the function that you were designed for/ rewoven for in the Pattern.

And poor Nynaeve, Elayne and Egwene! Egwene especially must have been through so much with that a'dam! I don't blame them for outright attacking the Children of the Light; they had the Horn and poor Mat literally wasting away! They get in trouble with the Amyrlin, but it could've been worse and they all are Accepted now! Mat gets healed! Yay! This to me is the book where he gets interesting! Jordan really got him written well! We end Chapter 20 where Mat wakes up from his healing and someone has entered his room! Who could it be? I guess you'll find out soon if you haven't already!

Till next time! Blood and Bloody Ashes, I don't mean to write essays, but apparently I can't help myself!

11 hours ago, whattheHoid said:

Hide contents

i am not entirely sure the voice of Lews Therin is a symptom of madness. I speculate that perhaps Rand's body is inhabited by 2 souls and Lews Therin became more "sentient" as Rand channeled and met with the Forsaken time and time again. This is just my theory and have no definitive proof.

Spoiler

I quite liked that theory back in the '90s.  I recall Jordan very clearly denying it, though I'm not going to dig around for the relevant WOJs.

6 hours ago, whattheHoid said:

Those Aiel, they're neat, yes? If anyone has read Dune, do they remind you of the Fremen? Or is that just me?

It's not just you.