Invocation

Elon Musk is an Absolute Mad Lad

23 posts in this topic

I've always thought the main barrier isnt "Flying Cars since they technically have then now, it's just that they still require a Pilot's License.  What we're really waiting on is Self-Driving Cars, which are fortunately right around the corner.  Then they can just take to the air without worrying about that idiot (there's always an idiot) who's texting or whatever crashing his car into the top of a mall or school or neighborhood. 

8 hours ago, Invocation said:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1083095876392964096

The dude is crazy. A flying car? Insane! I love it!

His new rocket looks like it was covered in tin foil? I don't care, that's an amazing retro-space age aesthetic! 

This is now an official Elon Musk appreciation thread.

I'm literally so ready 

thank you elon musk I guess

53 minutes ago, Quantus said:

I've always thought the main barrier isnt "Flying Cars since they technically have then now, it's just that they still require a Pilot's License.  What we're really waiting on is Self-Driving Cars, which are fortunately right around the corner.  Then they can just take to the air without worrying about that idiot (there's always an idiot) who's texting or whatever crashing his car into the top of a mall or school or neighborhood. 

Yeah but this one does that. It's a Tesla, so it has the most advanced auto-pilot they have at the moment (which isn't as good as completely self-driving, but we're getting there)

3 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Yeah but this one does that. It's a Tesla, so it has the most advanced auto-pilot they have at the moment (which isn't as good as completely self-driving, but we're getting there)

Agreed, we're close but not there yet. The real threshold we need is less about pure technological capability (even commercial aircraft can all but fly themselves these days) but rather about public (and legislative) trust in the systems enough to let complete novices climb in one without fear of the Human Element buggering it up. I dont think we'll ever trust the average person to control a multi-ton vehicle over our heads, but Air Taxis could certainly be a thing.  They're already testing drone style Air-taxi's overseas.

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Agreed, we're close but not there yet. The real threshold we need is less about pure technological capability (even commercial aircraft can all but fly themselves these days) but rather about public (and legislative) trust in the systems enough to let complete novices climb in one without fear of the Human Element buggering it up. I dont think we'll ever trust the average person to control a multi-ton vehicle over our heads, but Air Taxis could certainly be a thing.  They're already testing drone style Air-taxi's overseas.

I think the only way we'd actually be able to do something like full automation of all vehicles with actual trust in them is to make it to where everyone has one and there are no non-self driving cars left. That way they all actually can communicate with each other without the potential for an "off-grid" human driver to come through and throw everything into disarray. That's mega-impractical, though, to the point of it not being even slightly feasible at the moment.

Air Taxi would be pretty cool, which is half the fun of the fact that Uber helped fund Tesla making the flying car. 

Edited by Invocation

Personally I think the biggest thing holding flying cars back is surviving car accidents. Yes current car accidents can end lives, and airbags and car frames mitigate that, but now add to the factor that both parties are 100s of feet in the air, and if the crash results in the propellant keeping them aloft failing, then you have what could have been a fender bender turn into a fatality. Also add in to the property damage from the plummeting car, or additional fatality of random bystander walking along. Now this is also dependent on what means is used to keep the car aloft, but any system has the capacity to fail. Yes we have planes and they have all these same issues, but given the proliferation of cars across the globe, the risk rises exponentially. 

On 1/11/2019 at 10:05 AM, Pathfinder said:

Personally I think the biggest thing holding flying cars back is surviving car accidents. Yes current car accidents can end lives, and airbags and car frames mitigate that, but now add to the factor that both parties are 100s of feet in the air, and if the crash results in the propellant keeping them aloft failing, then you have what could have been a fender bender turn into a fatality. Also add in to the property damage from the plummeting car, or additional fatality of random bystander walking along. Now this is also dependent on what means is used to keep the car aloft, but any system has the capacity to fail. Yes we have planes and they have all these same issues, but given the proliferation of cars across the globe, the risk rises exponentially. 

Those are all very good points, but I'm still in it for the meme of actually making flying cars.

Flying cars sound cool, but think of the fuel costs! and accidents in the air!

Elon Musk is great though. 

11 hours ago, Inklingspren said:

Flying cars sound cool, but think of the fuel costs! and accidents in the air!

Worth it solely for the meme, honestly.

Honestly, I think an unfortunately large amount of people are careless enough on the road. Just think of how it could be in the skies. While I think flying cars would be cool, I'd say that Elon Musk's genius would be better spent in other transportation options such as the Hyperloop. Anyway that's just my personal opinion.

5 hours ago, Ladrian said:

Honestly, I think an unfortunately large amount of people are careless enough on the road. Just think of how it could be in the skies. While I think flying cars would be cool, I'd say that Elon Musk's genius would be better spent in other transportation options such as the Hyperloop. Anyway that's just my personal opinion.

Oh trust me, the Hyperloop is lit, and honestly, the flying car isn't my favorite thing from Musk. I prefer the space side of things.

Hyperloops would be awesome, and more efficient than flying cars. Only upside to those is reduced traffic.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:14 PM, Invocation said:

Oh trust me, the Hyperloop is lit, and honestly, the flying car isn't my favorite thing from Musk. I prefer the space side of things.

I like OpenAI, personally. It's lowkey where I'm planning to work eventually.

Just now, Kidpen said:

I like OpenAI, personally. It's lowkey where I'm planning to work eventually.

I can respect that. AI interests me too (even though it does kind of scare me because humans are stupid).

Guys, I love this. Every time I'm looking through the forums, this shows up. I always picture it saying: Elon Musk is an absolute moron

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, beantheboy12 said:

Guys, I love this. Every time I'm looking through the forums, this shows up. I always picture it saying: Elon Musk is an absolute moron

I'd never insult my man Elongated Muskrat like that. The guy is practically guiding the future of humanity.

Edited by Godhunter

How does one guild the future? 

5 minutes ago, beantheboy12 said:

How does one guild the future? 

That says guide, not guild.