Sunmaker's shardblade

Blessed peace

7 hours ago, Kon-Tiki said:

I just think its properties as a godmetal are odd for a metal. It never appears to undergo plastic deformation of any kind. Very brittle, very tough, not malleable or even that hard (easily scratched, relatively speaking). It behaves more like a ceramic than a metal

Actually, it's pretty common, the form of steel you're describing is called martensite. It's a result of steel hardening, which leaves material very hard and brittle, depending on properties you want to receive it might require tempering. Depending on the time and temperature, you trade hardness for flexibility (along with many other properties), but yea it happens - steel can shatter.

Regarding the shape of Oathbringer, historically waves, serrations and all kinds of protrusions on the edge were meant to generate additional friction and keep the blade from glancing off. I imagine this would be very useful when fighting someone using the surge of Abrasion and hook would be even better. It is possible that Edgedancers would be virtually immune to any strike that's not perfectly perpendicular to their bodies. Hooked blade could also limit erratic movement of Abrasion/Gravitation users.

6 hours ago, Paleth said:

Actually, it's pretty common, the form of steel you're describing is called martensite. It's a result of steel hardening, which leaves material very hard and brittle, depending on properties you want to receive it might require tempering. Depending on the time and temperature, you trade hardness for flexibility (along with many other properties), but yea it happens - steel can shatter.

Regarding the shape of Oathbringer, historically waves, serrations and all kinds of protrusions on the edge were meant to generate additional friction and keep the blade from glancing off. I imagine this would be very useful when fighting someone using the surge of Abrasion and hook would be even better. It is possible that Edgedancers would be virtually immune to any strike that's not perfectly perpendicular to their bodies. Hooked blade could also limit erratic movement of Abrasion/Gravitation users.

In which case, what do you think of using the hook like a Kama?

Well i know next to nothing about kamas, but i guess any reverse curved blade would be cutting more efficiently. Is fighting with kama is more about locking down your opponent and controlling his movements? Then sure it would work pretty well.

• Chaos locked this topic