Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Morindal

Transfering between Feruchemical minds

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So I began this as a 'Question for Brandon' but it went a bit farther in the imagining part than the  actual question. Well, here we go:

Can you transfer stored features from one feruchemical mind directly to another or is there always an aspect that will get lost (be it minor)?

Coming at it from the practical/economical side of era 3, when metalic arts get fully monetized:

* You carry around rings instead of bulks of metal and transfer them to a bigger mind of your own (savings) or to an unlocked one upon selling (profit)

* You need to appear non-descript so you transfer as much as possible to minimal metal elements that won't sell you out as a feruchemist straight away (on the other hand if we're in era 3 they probably already have invested metal scanners)

Have we ever received quantitive data on the storing abilities of metals? Like how much memory could be put in a gram of copper etc? I've seen it referenced in the two first books of the series (the limitations) but none of the characters has ever gone deeper into the topic..

Edited by Morindal
Typo

If all the metalminds in question are yours (or Unkeyed), Yes I believe so.  In the case of Twinborn Compounding it certainly appears that you can burn the charged metalmind and funnel the resulting Investiture directly into another metalmind, and this seems basically the same process (without the hack of free energy).  Likely it would take practice to pull off without any manifest effect (Im thinking Pewter as the most visibly obvious).

8 hours ago, Morindal said:

Have we ever received quantitive data on the storing abilities of metals? Like how much memory could be put in a gram of copper etc? I've seen it referenced in the two first books of the series (the limitations) but none of the characters has ever gone deeper into the topic..

Much like Investiture exchange rates, it's not been canonized.