The Cat We Seek

Eris

When did I fall asleep? One minute everyone I loved was in pain, the next, I’m here. But where was here? I had woken up in a place of white. White sky and white ground while everything between was purely this mystical shade. The space wasn’t made of any materials like snow or paint, in fact it was made of no physical matter, it just was. And I stood in the middle of the serenity.

My hair surfed the non-existent breeze while my clothes blew the other direction. I should have felt afraid but a psychedelic paralysis drew out all of my emotions. Enthralled with the surreal existence I had found myself, I let my feet carry me forward. Letting my trance-like mind lead me through the nothingness.

My mind was blank as I ventured further into the white nothingness but that was not all I could see. Stark, bare trees began to dot the landscape the further along I walked. They were dead, sucked of any life they had once possessed. The more I walked, more these black, shrivelled up trees, lined the path I walked. The once clear contrast of white and black was blurred as the trees began to enclose me into their clutches.

I felt pain as the dry branches brushed me, poked me and eventually graduated to scratching. Gouging my skin until my arms and face bled. Even with the searing agony, my face portrayed nothing. I made no noise as I pushed through the thick branches, I made not a single sound as more of my blood fell to the white ground. This dream world was soundless.

The colours. The sounds. This barren world I had woken up in was the perfect mixture of oblivion and entirety. But like all things, everything and nothing cannot exist forever for the silence birthed a single sound. A meow.

I instantly twisted around and came eye to eye with a creature. A cat. The majestic cat sat back on its hind legs, mirroring my emotionless features. No tree branch dared to touch this cryptic creature as it stared at me with its yellow eyes.

It was only a cat but the world of nothing that stretched on for infinity that I had found myself in, lent me its fear. The cat didn’t blink but I did and when I did, moments flashed across my mind.

I saw many things. Things that were either real or not and even things that border-lined reality. Though they were not so far-fetched as I so think. The blood. The horror. The death. It was my reality.

I looked beyond the black cat, down the path lined with dead trees. It was an endless path that was forged in the maddening dreams of my maker. Made for me to grow so weak from the walking that I would inevitably die from the motion.

I was dying. This cat was cruel enough to show me how meaningless my existence was. My reality in life was merely an illusion. I was nothing. Everything, like this barren dreamworld, was nothing. The path I walk is lonely from birth to death. Yet I walk this path, like my ancestors before me, expecting it to change but nothing ever will. Death will only replace me with another. Upon my realisation, I collapsed in a pool of my own blood. My body cut up from life’s hardships. The cat prowled forward, sniffing the air. My face couldn’t move for Death controlled me but in my heart I could help the horrified smile that threatened to escape.

Death was simply a cat. And to a cat, life is meaningless.

I wanted to share this but didn't know where and when I found out I could post on this forum which has become my life, I got excited. Anyway I hope people enjoy it!