Ideal studio for a Mistborn video game?

Invocation

Yeah, Bethesda... really isn't known for their physics. A professional Mistborn game definitely needs a studio with a reputation for programmers who won't let you walk through a wall by holding a bucket up to it.

I get some pretty good vibes from Nintendo's Breath of the Wild engine. I can kind of see a Mistborn game in there, with the shrines' light-blue aesthetic & physics-based puzzles.

1 minute ago, Artemos said:

I get some pretty good vibes from Nintendo's Breath of the Wild engine. I can kind of see a Mistborn game in there, with the shrines' light-blue aesthetic & physics-based puzzles.

Y'know, that's fair. It would look like a permanent Blood Moon.

53 minutes ago, Invocation said:

What do y'all think is the ideal studio for a game based on the events of Mistborn? I would say Bethesda, if it wasn't for the recent debacles there and their penchant for physics issues.

That would depend on the genre of game. Personally I don't think that Mistborns magic would translate well into a 1st or 3rd person RPG. So much of it is internal and the external parts would be very challenging to control. How would you select targets for your steel pushes? You would need to be able to do it at the speed of thought in order for it to be effective.

Breaking it down by genre though:

4x stategy based in Scadrial: Paradox is my fave for 4x but I think the cool parts of Allomancy would be a little wasted on their model. You'd need something like the Total War games where you could deploy your Mistborn on the field of battle and watch them murder the enemy army.

3rd person RPG: CD Project Red are probably the best world builders out there. If you haven't played the Witcher 3, do it (insert Shia meme here). It's a beautiful game and has a compelling story. Ignoring the mechanical concerns that I mentioned earlier I think they could do a great job with it.

Dungeon crawler: RedHook could probably do some cool stuff. I really enjoyed Darkest Dungeon and I think Mistborn would work in a similar context.

Another important question is what era are we talking about here. I was assuming era 1 for all of these suggestions.

Edit: Metroidvania genre: Motion Twin. Love their art and Dead Cells has really solid game play.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

I could see era 2 making a good FPS (though I can't recommend a studio here). They could have you play through the books as Wax. It would be easier to manage just have A-Steel and F-Iron rather than the full suite of powers. I'm picturing gameplay like Halo where you have fixed maps so its more about learning where to use your steel to win rather than just jumping around in an open world.

It could be fun to have Wayne pop in at random parts of each level, throw up a speed bubble, say something stupid and wise, and then bounce away.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

I have to agree with what people have said about CD Project Red (Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077) if it’s an rpg. If it’s a platformer, which I think would be really interesting, Matt Makes Games (Celeste).

edit: I think it would be interesting to see a Mistborn game from From Software (Dark Souls, Bloodbourne) and I would love to see an era 2 game by Respawn Entertainment (Titanfall, Titanfall 2), as they have a lot of experience with building physics semi similar to this, have a game with an amazing campaign, and know how to make a really good FPS. 

Edited by Snipexe

31 minutes ago, 2001Kra said:

Insomniac Games is good, though I don't know what they've done for PC, they did excellent work with Spiderman PS4.

2 minutes ago, 2001Kra said:

Insomniac Games is the best. Other games don't quite match to Spiderman PS4, but they're still great, so I'd say them.

While I do think that their physics engine is great, and their storytelling is really good, one think they lack are really good side quests, which is something I feel a really good Mistborn game would need.

I've recently been playing Sundered by Thunder Lotus, and as I keep playing I keep thinking that the 2D exploration game might fit well for a Mistborn game. It would also be a lot easier for both the developers and the players to manage 2D physics of pushing and pulling.

1 hour ago, HSuperLee said:

I've recently been playing Sundered by Thunder Lotus, and as I keep playing I keep thinking that the 2D exploration game might fit well for a Mistborn game. It would also be a lot easier for both the developers and the players to manage 2D physics of pushing and pulling.

I would actually really enjoy that! Maybe with anime cutscenes?

20 hours ago, HSuperLee said:

I completely forgot about Thunder Lotus! You're right, that would be great!

• Chaos locked this topic