Already, Discord had arisen in Silverlight. An individual was claiming to serve no master, nor work with any allies. A remnant of Autonomy's influence, no doubt. The sapient beings of the Cosmere were meant to work together in Harmony, not isolate themselves from each other in the name of freedom. But then, Autonomy had never been about freedom, had she? Her and the Shard known only for its desire to Survive had complemented each other nicely; withdraw from others, keep to one's self, avoid trust, maintain existence at any cost. A bleak way to live, but an acceptable one for those who chose that path. As always though, the Shards warped their Vessel's personality to extremes. Autonomy could never recognise that civilisations could only advance and grow cooperatively, while Survival forgot that a life merely spent prolonging one's existence was hardly a life at all. As for the solitary claimant, well they were probably lying. There could be no neutrals, not anymore. The time for solitude was over. In this new era of the Cosmere, working together was the only way forward.

1 minute ago, Ivory Dragonfly said:

Already, Discord had arisen in Silverlight. An individual was claiming to serve no master, nor work with any allies. A remnant of Autonomy's influence, no doubt. The sapient beings of the Cosmere were meant to work together in Harmony, not isolate themselves from each other in the name of freedom. But then, Autonomy had never been about freedom, had she? Her and the Shard known only for its desire to Survive had complemented each other nicely; withdraw from others, keep to one's self, avoid trust, maintain existence at any cost. A bleak way to live, but an acceptable one for those who chose that path. As always though, the Shards warped their Vessel's personality to extremes. Autonomy could never recognise that civilisations could only advance and grow cooperatively, while Survival forgot that a life merely spent prolonging one's existence was hardly a life at all. As for the solitary claimant, well they were probably lying. There could be no neutrals, not anymore. The time for solitude was over. In this new era of the Cosmere, working together was the only way forward.

Remind me to upvote you once the game is over.

Urgent Clarification: an outdated draft of the rules was uploaded. Seonid and I are going through and figuring out which rules are outdated. Further clarifications may or may not be forthcoming, but for now, just know that 5 factions was when we thought there would be 20 players. We are not intending to specify how many factions/alignments/win cons are at play.

That is all.

I looked up at the buildings of Silverlight. The city was a marvelous place of study and learning. We had gathered here, I knew, for some purpose. They, likely, did not know themselves the full extent of what they were about to be involved in. But I did. And I was ready.

I strode out into the open street, ready to meet whoever would come for me. 

The light of the dawn awoke Elsic, and with it came relief. Relief that he had finally fallen asleep, and relief that he had woken up. He stood up slowly, groggily, and grabbed his pack. He checked the contents and ensured that all his equipment and his food was there. Relieved to discover that they were all there, he let out a long held breath, and began to follow his tracks through the forest. As he traveled his thoughts turned to his research. He’d gone to Threnody DeMilitarized Zone in order to finally discover the quantum signature of Ambition’s investiture, something that he had studied for years. He’d written his thesis on the origin for the bizarre waves that had come from this area, and had finally been able to confirm his theories himself. It seemed only fitting that he would be hit by a rogue perpendicularity, and had been sucked through. As his thoughts turned to his work, he lost track of time, and soon he found the end of his tracks. They lead directly to the trunk of a tree, and were joined by several others. “Impossible” The words slipped out without thinking. Only 2 or 3 researchers in the previous 20 years were allowed into the region, and though people could come in illegally, however considering how dangerous the region was with, entering was a risk most operations weren’t willing to take. Making a snap decision, Elsic decided to follow them. He knew that they likely didn’t enter the zone legally, but if they had a way to get out from here he would be willing to take the risk.

Edited by Melon Dingo

2 hours ago, Quartz Zebra said:

I’m forced to conclude that this is a lie, pending clarification

• A clarification has arrived. I believe that should speak for itself.
  • I made a straightforward claim first thing after logging into my anon account and viewing my role PM, and I for one find it improbable that anybody could have fabricated a significant lie in that timeframe.
  • It is extremely reckless to falsely claim something along the lines of Survival without any prior knowledge, because all previous games suggest that Survival is a possible role in this game, who could immediately counterclaim me and cause my immediate demise.
  • Tangentially related to all of that, I would like to point out that I was not the one who spun this affair into a discussion of any sort, whether or not we want to call it an unproductive one.

In spite of your calling for a shard to kill me on the first day, I do not yet consider myself to be your enemy. If however you continue to act like I am already aligned against you, I will probably become aligned against you, because I would have no other choice.

As it is, I am fairly committed to remaining nonpartisan.

Well then, how about we start betting. I will bet 2 custom shards that at least half the factions will be dead by the beginning of phase 3.

"Sadly, Zebra has already demonstrated their lack of strength. Slaughter cannot be avoided, so the scholar's inclinations towards aggressive actions are necessary." Vioax whispered this into the ear of the Noble next to her. She hadn't the slightest idea of who they were, but 1 ear was as good as another. "Sentence him to death, lest his hypocrisy infect others. Show everyone what happens to do gooders."

Speaking of do gooders, Lord Quadras was supposed to be here. If he didn't show up soon, the madman Sheonir would end up trusted. Vioax sidled away from the noble, ending up behind Orlim. She adressed the crowd of nobles. "Sins such as this man possess should not be rewarded. Smelt down the key to power before you give it away Orlim." Savagery was a good trait to have, Vioax was willing to admit, but Lord Sheonir had far too much of it. Simply giving him power would surely be wasted on one already powerful.

So to Lord Quadras, a friend of a friend and more besides went her trust and voice. "So many stories tell of the patience and quick thinking of Lord Quadras, let him be listened to."

Zebra 

And lo, comes a voice on high, one that calls for tolerance and drives out ignorance. A pity we didn't have a Shard like that roaming the Cosmere. 

Yet more factions. Makido sighed inwardly. Five competing interests hadn't been enough, oh no, there had to be yet more groups who declared their way to be Just and Righteous. Such were the costs of free will he supposed, though a cost well worth paying. Little good had ever come of Shards directly controlling the affairs of mortals. Perhaps that was what Autonomy's Vessel had once held dear, before their mind was consumed by the Shard's Intent. But no, he didn't have the time to speculate on who the Vessels had been. The Shards were in control now, and they could not be allowed to once again tear apart the Cosmere in their quest for power and influence. Some of them would fan the flames of hatred between the various factions, the spiritual descendants of the Worldhoppers who had first managed to contain the Shards. Makido could not let them succeed. The Shards would be purged from their Vessels, and locked away where they could cause no more harm.

8 minutes ago, Violet Axolotl said:

Well then, how about we start betting. I will bet 2 custom shards that at least half the factions will be dead by the beginning of phase 3.

I will accept that bet, and put up two of my own Shards. Somebody neutral, who wins if there are an odd number of factions and half rounded down are completely eliminated by the beginning of phase 3? Also, there is not a lynch today.

"...and finally, we've passed on our findings to SilverPoly. The ball's firmly in their court now regarding how much technology'll be opened up to everyone." Vahal's voice echoed through the room as he finished the debriefing. "You've all done well, but the resurgence of at least four and potentially more shards, including the ever-dangerous Ruin, means we can't rest and reap the rewards just yet. You'll all receive our updated mission statement and your personal instructions before the day is done. Are there any questions?"

"Um.. We've all been very focused on Autonomy, but they where helped into power by Survival. Shouldn't we be looking into them as well?" Michael,  another Agent sitting to Tessa's left spoke up.

"An excellent question." Vahal nodded. "However, Survival has always proven to prioritize its own well-being over all other concerns. This led to his initial alliance with Autonomy. since we've confirmed that most of Autonomy's aspects have in fact been killed, it stands to reason that Survival has retreated out of whatever arrangement they had to protect itself from those hunting autonomy. Certainly, we've seen little sign of interference by Survival, though recent rumors suggest that it might have passed to a new vessel. We'll of coure be following up on those and try to bring them on board with our own endeavors if possible."

Vahal left a moment of silence for more questions.

"If that's all, then we're done for the day. I'll be briefing all of you in the morning on our upcoming projects, barring any major disasters."

So, there's something that I'm curious about. My faction has been given the choice of several possible win-cons. Is this something unique to us, or is this an option available to most/all factions?

Edited by Magenta Albatross

“In there,” the man behind him snapped, all but shoving Radler through the door of the odd residence. “You’d hardly want others to know you’re working for me, would you? My groups are always...frowned upon...in most circles.” His face curved into a smile. Not an ugly smile, but a slim one which never reached his eyes, the eyes that seemed to be boring into the back of Radler’s skull. He peered in both directions down the street, satisfied that nobody was looking, and all but slammed the door behind him. 

As his employer paced towards him, Radler had a brief moment to survey the house he was in. Despite its considerable-looking size from the street, it seemed cramped, with only a few small windows high up in the wall and the lamp on the table providing light. The rooms themselves were spacious, but bare and dark, filled mostly with large tomes, presumably the latest in research.  An involuntary shiver ran down Radler’s back.  Not a prison, but close enough. Quitting his survey of the house, he turned to his contact. “What is your name?” he asked simply. 

“You may call me Domand,” he said after a brief pause, “though that is not my real name. Few know that, now. But this is as close as you will get.” Another mirthless smile touched his lips. “But you, Radler, could help advance our interests.” 

His hand reached into his pocket, procuring a thick, small card, on which was printed: 

The bearer of this card has been entrusted with Class I and II secrets of Shardic Information and Intelligence. His task is mine, and is not to be interfered with. Obey and keep silent, at my command. 

The card had no signature, instead a seal depicting a lightning bolt splitting a crown. Two olive branches and two spears together wove the rim, and the letters ASWA were clearly visible at the bottom. Before he could wonder what any of it meant, Domand leaned forward again, whispering. 

“You have elected to join me in our great task of resolving all conflict between the Shards. This means that you are bound to our mission now, life and death, and our secrets with you. This understanding is vital to what I am about to tell you next...” 

Well, I must say I still harbour reservations about Toucan’s claim, mostly out of fear of one of the three potential goals I mentioned earlier being his intention instead of actually being neutral. However, with the latest clarifications, it seems he may indeed be neutral, so I’ll elect to trust him for now. @Sunburst Toucan, as you have stated that your win condition will not impair any other faction’s, is it more passive? Something along the lines of “when the game ends, condition X is reached,” or is it “when condition X is reached, the game ends?” 

Also, Axolotl, I like your RP, but I didn’t really catch why you voted for me. Would you like to expound upon your suspicions/criticism of me? 

At first I was hesitant to trust toucans claim. I mostly believed him, but it made him untrustworthy to me. What if he actually was lying? But upon further consideration, I decided that it it was unlikely, and the fact that he revealed so early kindof shut out the possibility that he would have collaborated with anyone in his story. Then reading the thread this morning, I saw the clarification from Joe, which suggests that there are now a possibility of up to 2 more factions, or any combination action of larger factions and more than one neutral. 

Edit: I would like to find a way to be in contact, toucan, as I believe you could be a valuable asset that my faction and i would not underappreciate*

*this has not been discussed with my faction the views represented in this post in know way are indicative of the views of this players faction, university, or religion, or any other organization that this person belongs to.

Edited by Cream Tuatara

"BUTTONS!"

The sudden voice coming from nowhere jerks several heads around as the gathered companions search for the owner of the voice.  A woman covered in a dusty travelers cloak emerges from a shadowed alcove.

"The stars have aligned.  The mist whispers to me. A little piece of ginger glass!"

____

Sorry I didnt explain it well. Just the switch to toucan seemed really sudden to me. I see that the original reasoning for going on toucan makes sense enough that I believe someone would be suspicious for that. I don’t know if it makes enough sense for a lynch to start though. I guess you probably were aggressive on them at least partially to save yourself which makes a bit more sense now that I think about it. 

7 hours ago, Cream Tuatara said:

I would like to find a way to be in contact, toucan, as I believe you could be a valuable asset that my faction and i would not underappreciate

I would be happy to open communications, and I will swear to strict confidentiality with anybody who contacts me with sensitive information. However, be advised that I will probably not agree to help your faction in ways that would harm other factions, as that would sort of defeat the purpose of being neutral.

I would be quite willing to play a role as a mediator in cooperations between factions, however. For example, if any faction wants to contact me with their win condition, I will put them in touch with other factions whose win conditions seem compatible, provided both involved factions consent to my sharing this information with the other. I gain something from this exchange, since I get to learn about other people's win conditions, but it is also potentially a valuable service for many of you.

On an unrelated note, does anybody have any interesting suggestions for RP? I am lacking in inspiration at the moment.

Edited by Sunburst Toucan

So, most of the discussion seems to be centered around Toucan and him being neutral. Do to the urgent clarification, it seems he is telling some version of the truth, at least.

I forgot, has he shared his win condition? If his win condition really does not hinder any faction, then why not share it? I can imagine he might really be part of a one-man faction, but there’s no way to tell whether he’s actually neutral or has a win-con based around tricking us.

14 minutes ago, Coral Swan said:

I’m more inclined to trust Toucan’s claim now, after Joe’s announcement, and it should be noted that all faction win cons end the game, but the rules say nothing about individual win cons. 

Do individuals count as factions or do they not? That is the question which I have been considering. @Seonid @A Joe in the Bush

Something along the lines of “when the game ends, condition X is reached,” or is it “when condition X is reached, the game ends?”

@Sunburst Toucan, I’d like it if you could answer, specifically, this earlier question of mine. It would go a long way towards assuaging my suspicions if I knew that achieving your win conditions would not end the game.  

@Coral Swan You make a good point about factions being separate from independents, one that I hadn’t considered. Regardless, I think a reply from Toucan will clear this all up and possibly confirm your theory, so I’d still like him to respond. 

38 minutes ago, Violet Axolotl said:

Sorry I didnt explain it well. Just the switch to toucan seemed really sudden to me. I see that the original reasoning for going on toucan makes sense enough that I believe someone would be suspicious for that. I don’t know if it makes enough sense for a lynch to start though. I guess you probably were aggressive on them at least partially to save yourself which makes a bit more sense now that I think about it. 

Are you intentionally quoting Alv to make a point, quoting him to try to imitate him and his style, or are you Alv himself trying to make us think you’re just an imitator, because it would be too obvious? Either way, thank you for the response. :P 

I wasn’t trying to lynch them? There’s no D1 lynch and though a lynch on them later if they were lying may have been useful, again, I’d rather go with the resolution to the Toucan debate that results in the least bloodshed, and least wastes discussion.