Night 3 - Beyond All Hope

Although surviving records from the time are often fragmentary, and make it difficult to recover a full timeline of the Final Shardic War, it is unanimously believed by scholars that the Weasel continued to play an outsized role in the deliberations of the Worldhopper's Tribunal, even after the effects of Devotion's intercession.

Whether that was the result of the rather spectacular events of the previous convocation or not, it seems that Weasel remained under strong suspicion of...something. Whatever nameless charges were being levied against worldhoppers at this early stage were still not spelled out clearly. By the end of the deliberation cycle, however, it was a worldhopper called the Octopus who was arraigned before the council. For some reason, unclear to later writers of even a very early date, the tribunal called only a single worldhopper into question in any given cycle of deliberation, and the selection of Scarlet Octopus was sufficient to grant Weasel a reprieve.

Upon examination, Octopus was found guilty - the records do not preserve the charge, although spying for some Shard or the other might be sufficient cause under the tribunal's regulations. This execution was far more pedestrian, and has occasioned only scattered footnotes in the histories.

Weasel(4): Falcon, Gecko, Dingo, Zebra
Octopus(5): Swan, Weasel, Axolotl, Mouse, Ivory
Swan(1): Octopus

Scarlet Octopus was Lynched! They were a Worldhopping Mastrell of the Utility Company!

Player List:
1. Amethyst Scorpion
2. Azure Mouse
3. Amber Vulture Vessel, Autonomy
4. Charcoal Hyena
5. Chartreuse Penguin Worldhopper, Truthwatcher
6. Coral Swan
7. Cream Tuatara
8. Emerald Falcon
9. Fuschia Ostrich
10. Indigo Weasel
11. Ivory Dragonfly 
12. Magenta Albatross
13. Mauve Crocodile
14. Melon Dingo
15. Mint Heron
16. Onyx Flamingo
17. Opal Lion
18. Oxblood Beagle
19. Pearl Chameleon
20. Plum Rhinoceros
21. Quartz Zebra
22. Saffron Iguana
23. Sage Kangaroo
24. Salmon Meerkat
25. Sapphire Elephant
26. Scarlet Octopus  Worldhopper, Mastrell
27. Sunburst Toucan
28. Taupe Gecko
29. Turquoise Gorilla
30. Violet Axolotl

Shardworld Tracker:
Yolen: 2/8 charges
First of the Sun: 1/6 charges
The day will last until Tuesday, January 23th, 12:00 AM, Mountain Time

Also, 1 Player has been replaced by a Kandra. We are looking for another currently.

Edited by Seonid

8 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Also, 1 Player has been replaced by a Kandra.

I panicked for a second before realising you meant pinch-hitters

5 hours ago, Magenta Albatross said:

I wonder if someone out there has a planet-creation goal. It'd make sense to not add more than 2 charges to Yolen, given that it needs 4 shards to contribute, and suggest that there's currently only one shard making stuff.

That actually makes a lot of sense. I'd completely forgotten about the 4 shards' contribution thing. Although I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which Shard this might be. Role-wise, it doesn't quite fit with any shard listed in the rules. Perhaps a secret role of sorts? Can't say for sure

Also, I couldn't catch up on last turn's thread due to unexpected rl things but man I missed an interesting lynch. Interesting claims. @Indigo Weasel while Devotion being part of your faction explains why you survived the D1 lynch, it still doesn't justify why you almost actively tried to get lynched in the first place...

Edited by Opal Lion

8 hours ago, Opal Lion said:

Although I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which Shard this might be. Role-wise, it doesn't quite fit with any shard listed in the rules. Perhaps a secret role of sorts? Can't say for sure

My best guess remains bored!Ambition, as there’s little for them to do with their Day action if the lynch isn’t close, but any Shard that can’t Invest is probably a possibility. Might even be Ruin unwilling to use his planetary destruction, and therefore being nice and creating planets instead. (Presumably to blow up later. :P)

19 minutes ago, Violet Axolotl said:

Man, Utility Company is getting wrecked here. :( Maybe let’s not lynch one of them next. 

To try to generate discussion and because I’m curious, which shards would y’all prefer to lynch if you knew their identity?

If I'd known Octopus was part of the Utility Company, I'd have left their lights on. *pun fully intended*

I'd probably lynch most Shards not part of my faction.  Sneaky you trying to figure out which ones are in our factions. :ph34r:

14 minutes ago, Violet Axolotl said:

Man, Utility Company is getting wrecked here. :( Maybe let’s not lynch one of them next. 

To try to generate discussion and because I’m curious, which shards would y’all prefer to lynch if you knew their identity?

Agreed. Though we would need them to claim to know for sure, and that may be unlikely to happen.

Your question is a great way to make enemies in this game... lynching Shards doesn't really do much except make that Shard's faction smaller. You need Odium to truly remove a shards powers.

I am aprehensive of Odium and Ruin as those shards likely belong to the factions that most likely involve killing Wincons, but I wouldnt necisarily say those are the shards I would want to lynch. It would also depend on circumstances. What is your own response to your question, @Violet Axolotl?

5 minutes ago, Coral Swan said:

If I'd known Octopus was part of the Utility Company, I'd have left their lights on. *pun fully intended*

I'd probably lynch most Shards not part of my faction.  Sneaky you trying to figure out which ones are in our factions. :ph34r:

Not my intent at all. Just pick one or two you’d like to lynch was my question. 

3 minutes ago, Saffron Iguana said:

Agreed. Though we would need them to claim to know for sure, and that may be unlikely to happen.

Your question is a great way to make enemies in this game... lynching Shards doesn't really do much except make that Shard's faction smaller. You need Odium to truly remove a shards powers.

I am aprehensive of Odium and Ruin as those shards likely belong to the factions that most likely involve killing Wincons, but I wouldnt necisarily say those are the shards I would want to lynch. It would also depend on circumstances. What is your own response to your question, @Violet Axolotl?

I do not mean to make enemies. My answer would be Odium. With a second of Dominion maybe. Those would be the two I’d lynch if I had information on. Just curious to see if the kill roles are what people want to get rid of or what

3 minutes ago, Saffron Iguana said:

If you are just guessing, I doubt sharing it will put any more of a target on your head than already exists. :P

Do you think the wincon would be mechanic or book related?

If it was book related, how could it be scary? Since Preservation is a good guy in the books. Though I can imagine his wincon being something akin to making sure nobody ever does any action again (massive game-wide roleblock :P)

Just now, Onyx Flamingo said:

If it was book related, how could it be scary? Since Preservation is a good guy in the books. Though I can imagine his wincon being something akin to making sure nobody ever does any action again (massive game-wide roleblock :P)

Well, if a role was capable of doing a game-wide roleblock, I would admit that could be seen as scary. Though Preservation cant publiclly do that.

While Preservation was presented as the good guy in Mistborn, he really wasnt. If he was at full strength, no kne would die, nothing would change, I dont know if he would even have life, as life does stuff.

16 hours ago, Magenta Albatross said:

It'd make sense to not add more than 2 charges to Yolen, given that it needs 4 shards to contribute, and suggest that there's currently only one shard making stuff.

If it's only one Shard, it would suggest that said Shard doesn't necessarily want to create Yolen, or possibly has given up. If creating Yolen was a priority, a single Shard could contribute five charges of Investiture.

1 hour ago, Violet Axolotl said:

As lynching a Shard doesn't really do anything other than change the identity of the Vessel, I don't see many good reasons to prioritise lynching Shards. 

Day 4: Fortune or Fate

First of the Sun slept the sleep of death as it inscribed its endless circles around the Daystar. The fouled seas lapped against the shores of empty continents, covered with the sticks of dead trees and piles of corpses that had never rotted, for the bacteria that decomposed them were gone. Ash-filled winds covered once-great cities, and empty windows looked out on ruined skylines. Nothing moved. Nothing lived.

The island that had once been called Patji was the emptiest of all, its entire surface scraped clean and leveled as if by some giant hand. Not even corpses marred that smooth stretch of sand, featureless and bare save for one small depression, in which pooled some glowing green liquid. Once, that might have looked vibrant and alive, in the centre of a great jungle, but now it festered like some recess of toxic sludge, fouled by some unholy mixture of radiation and chemical poisons.

High above, the instruments of the Final Death floated, hanging motionless above the atmosphere. Pocked and pitted by age and micrometeorite impacts, the panels that brought their weird half-life into existence were cracked and broken, and the lights than had once animated them were still. The deadly beams that had ended a world so completely that not even the decomposers were left to clear the ground no longer streamed from the fearsome apertures, but their very presence left a chill around the dead world.

This had been murder, premeditated and coldly executed.

But far below the lifeless waves, something stirred. After so long, it was hard to believe that anything yet lived, but the sea floor was waking up. Power flowing through ancient lines woke vents in ocean rifts, while a sudden explosion of sea creatures began to take advantage of the unexpected bounty.

And on Patji, the pooling liquid flared and sputtered, spreading out and growing and building a sanctuary around it.

As it reached the end of its current circle, and started its new year, First of the Sun still slept. But it was not the sleep of death that it slept. It remained to be seen if it was a sleep that it would awake from, but it was no longer the sleep of death.

The kandra stretched its new bones, sighing contentedly. It had been a long time since it had been out on a contract, but the worldhopper known as Scorpion had been an excellent target for his return to the family business. A good body, a fascinating role to imitate, and an endless wealth of information to sift through.

Now to find out what had been going on in the past day or so. There was a faction involved, he was almost certain - he would not have been given a contract among the worldhoppers unless the kandra were curious about what the Shards were doing. He dug through his new pockets to find the journal that the worldhopper had kept, to see what information could be gleaned from it.

He was still figuring out which pockets held what when a bolt of energy from the Great Enemy seared through him, ending his existence as neatly as he had assumed Scorpion's. In the brief instant before he passed to the cognitive realm, he almost even appreciated the irony.

Amethyst was attacked and killed!
Amethyst Scorpion was a Researcher in the ALL HAIL THE JOE CLOUD FACTION. Yes, that is really their name.

Player List:
1. Amethyst Scorpion Worldhopper, Researcher.
2. Azure Mouse
3. Amber Vulture Vessel, Autonomy
4. Charcoal Hyena
5. Chartreuse Penguin Worldhopper, Truthwatcher
6. Coral Swan
7. Cream Tuatara
8. Emerald Falcon
9. Fuschia Ostrich
10. Indigo Weasel
11. Ivory Dragonfly 
12. Magenta Albatross
13. Mauve Crocodile
14. Melon Dingo
15. Mint Heron
16. Onyx Flamingo
17. Opal Lion
18. Oxblood Beagle
19. Pearl Chameleon
20. Plum Rhinoceros
21. Quartz Zebra
22. Saffron Iguana
23. Sage Kangaroo
24. Salmon Meerkat
25. Sapphire Elephant
26. Scarlet Octopus  Worldhopper, Mastrell
27. Sunburst Toucan
28. Taupe Gecko
29. Turquoise Gorilla
30. Violet Axolotl

Shardworld Tracker:
Yolen: 2/8 charges
First of the Sun: 1/6 charges
The day will last until Thursday, January 25th, 12:00 AM, Mountain Time

Edited by Seonid

Huh. That was an interesting choice of who to kill, as from my recollection Amethyst has said basically nothing (in-thread at least) all game. If I had to hazard a guess I’d say it’s Odium, but I could very well be wrong about that. Also, having four Shards total with kill capabilities, a grand total of three people have died in three nights. As I presume protection hasn’t been that accurate, that means some Shards are displaying restraint, which is curious. Hopefully, if more kills start popping up, we can begin to piece together more information regarding factions and Shards. 

Anyway, on to business. Weasel has narrowly escaped the noose twice, and we still have no resolution to any of his claims about his faction, role or alignment. I would still like those questions answered. 

Hmm, only one kill this cycle. Either some people got lucky with their defenses,or not all kill-capable factions have a win-con requiring indiscriminate killing. There's 3 shards that generate targeted kills, being Ruin, Odium and Dominion (through creating Dakhor monks). In the previous cycle there was an attack by Odium, and at least one of the other two. However, Tuatara claimed in the Scadrial doc to have been attacked and defended, so it that's true all 3 kill-capable shards attacked.

This cycle, only one person has been attacked, suggesting that (unless some groups have been very lucky with their defenses) only one shard got a blow in. That suggests that at most one of these Shards has a win-con involving indiscriminate killing. At a guess, I'd say it's Dominion. Odium got one pinpoint strike in against a Shard, though that might have been luck, and showed restraint during N1, so at a guess I'd say they're only after shards. Dominion needed proxies to do the killing, which might have left them out of position N1. Ruin, if weasel is to be believed, is in the same faction as Devotion, and weasels actions so far haven't really suggested that he's in a faction that'd like to see lots of people die.

Edited by Magenta Albatross

2 hours ago, Magenta Albatross said:

Hmm, only one kill this cycle. Either some people got lucky with their defenses,or not all kill-capable factions have a win-con requiring indiscriminate killing. There's 3 shards that generate targeted kills, being Ruin, Odium and Dominion (through creating Dakhor monks). In the previous cycle there was an attack by Odium, and at least one of the other two. However, Tuatara claimed in the Scadrial doc to have been attacked and defended, so it that's true all 3 kill-capable shards attacked.

To clarify, this occurred on N2/D3, when the title of the Write up was Unseen Strike.This sycle, I am no longer on Scadrial, as those on Scadrial can testify. 

Also, Interesting factoid I learned in my Biology Class. Tuataras aren't lizards. They are reptiles, yes, but different from the lizard family.