Shallan and Kaladin dislike each other so much....

Benedictify

....that it’s only a matter of time before they have sex. As soon as they met they hated each other — that is fiction-speak for “these two people will end up together”. It’s like the saying “if you see a gun in the first act, it had better go off by the third act.” Now that Shallan is married, it’ll be a torrid love affair. As I read Oathbringer I thought for sure it would happen by the end of the book, but no such luck. Maybe Brandon is a pleasure-delayer.... 

That begs the question: what would these books be rated? PG? PG-13? R? It would be cool to see more R rated stuff.... just saying ;) but it’s probably more like PG-13.

I guessed as much — it’ll be a mad passionate kiss then, at the very least. 

(Off-screen sex would be fine too... ;) 

You can still explore all the relationship dynamics that would fall out from Shallan and Kaladin demonstrating to each other that they are attracted to each other — a kiss would accomplish that — and then Adolin finding out, or not finding out, and Shallan having yet another terrible secret to keep.... Not to mention that the two of them are deeply psychologically damaged individuals, so there’s all sorts of feelings to jostle around

Edited by Benedictify
Add a thought

10 minutes ago, Benedictify said:

....that it’s only a matter of time before they have sex. As soon as they met they hated each other — that is fiction-speak for “these two people will end up together”. It’s like the saying “if you see a gun in the first act, it had better go off by the third act.” Now that Shallan is married, it’ll be a torrid love affair. As I read Oathbringer I thought for sure it would happen by the end of the book, but no such luck. Maybe Brandon is a pleasure-delayer.... 

That begs the question: what would these books be rated? PG? PG-13? R? It would be cool to see more R rated stuff.... just saying ;) but it’s probably more like PG-13.

I don't think Brandon is much into tsundere. And also, the fact that Shallan is married to Adolin and Kaladin has realized he didn't actually love her, make this scenario very unlikely.

1 hour ago, RShara said:

I don't think Brandon is much into tsundere.

Nah, Brandon's been deceiving us this whole time.

He's actually a single weeb living alone in his mom's basement.  At the end of Dragonsteel, we'll find out that the cosmere was an isekai anime this whole time.

Of course, the fact that Brandon has a wife and kids and owns a house in Utah only adds to the skill of his trickery.

Edited by Patrick Star

The closest I think we ever got to a sex scene in a book written by Brandon was like Towers of Midnight or A Memory of Light where it was essential to Mr. Jordan's plot, and even then it was really, really tame. Like fade to black moment. I understand he doesn't much care for them which is good because they are distracting.

1 hour ago, Benedictify said:

I have to say, I entered this thread with an internal groan and laughed out loud when I read the ensuing first post. You got me--you get an upvote. :D

That said, I'm with ya on the Kaladin/Shallan stuff, but honestly these would probably be rated R for violence at worst, not sex lol. Mormons are generally prudish about sex. ;)

On 1/4/2019 at 8:34 PM, Zurvanite said:

The closest I think we ever got to a sex scene in a book written by Brandon was like Towers of Midnight or A Memory of Light where it was essential to Mr. Jordan's plot, and even then it was really, really tame. Like fade to black moment. I understand he doesn't much care for them which is good because they are distracting.

Couldn't agree more. If I want to read about sex I have the whole Internet at my fingertips. I read books to get my nerd on.

• Chaos locked this topic