Elend- Pros and cons

Ark1002

Just now, Karger said:

I felt he would have been better Vin had freindzoned him in book one and he became king in a slower more natural way(on screen).

A violent power change with him being thrust into position as king is natural enough for ascending to a throne. Power changes like that don't generally happen slowly.

2 minutes ago, Invocation said:

A violent power change with him being thrust into position as king is natural enough for ascending to a throne. Power changes like that don't generally happen slowly.

I mean a way that felt more natural.  Elend became king because he made a good speech off screen.  I felt like I was supposed to just accept him even though he does not seem like the type of person who can sway and angry mob in book 1.

2 minutes ago, Karger said:

I mean a way that felt more natural.  Elend became king because he made a good speech off screen.  I felt like I was supposed to just accept him even though he does not seem like the type of person who can sway and angry mob in book 1.

I (respectfully, of course) disagree. This is what Elend has been trying to figure out how to do. He's trying to change things. He's taking his philosophical readings and spinning them around, wrapping them around the core of the issue at hand, weaving peace from a mob with these parts. He seems exactly like the kind of person who would be able to sway a mob in book one, given the proper set of circumstances (which he had this time). There are doubtless many timelines in which there were too many people, or they were too angry, or they plain didn't listen, or Dox ordered him kept instead of allowing him to go free.

He needed prompting and what amounts to an alignment of the stars with how many things lined up right, but it's not uncharacteristic for him to be able to do that. Words are powerful, especially when tensions are already high.

1 hour ago, Aragorn said:

I like how Brandon makes him actually be a not perfect king at first.  I feel like the more and more I read different books all of the men are perfect guys from beginning to end, but Brandon makes Elend have his faults and I like that about him.

Tindwyl really done a number on him and he got his finger out. He truly did act like a respected king toward the end.

I really like Elend, and I've liked him more with each reread as I have gotten older. Now that I've moved past my own "who am I?" crisis and can't identify as well with Vin, I find Elend more relatable. He also reminds me quite a bit of my husband, especially book 2 onward. I didn't have any problems with his Lerasium Mistborn status, Vin was still clearly his superior in talent through the whole series. His arc was believable, he made mistakes, got over it, and learned how to play the hand he was dealt. 

• Chaos locked this topic