Who Do You Most Want Dead?

Dalakaar

Generally, I don't want characters to die unless and until they've run their course.

I very much don't want Moash to die. I want him to live for many more years. I want him to experience a pervasive sense of emptiness. I want him to wonder, "Why? I avenged my grandparents. Why do I feel so unsatisfied?" And then I want one of two things to happen: either Moash turns his life around, or -- Rayse having been killed by this point, but not Shattered -- Moash Ascends into Odium.

I think Taravangian is a cool villain for now, but I don't want his Diagrammatic mastermind schtick to last beyond book 5. I think it would be interesting if he was still alive in books 6-10 with a drastically different role, but I'll admit that killing him off would make sense. If I had to choose between "Taravangian reminds a major antagonist in much the same capacity as he exists now" and "Taravangian dies within the next two books," I'd pick the latter for sure.

On 1/4/2019 at 3:16 PM, Severian4Scadrial said:

I'd also like Lift gone. I confess I haven't read Edgedancer, but thus far she's a dreadfully annoying character, and between volumes I've honestly forgotten a great deal about her storyline. We're supposed to get her flashbacks this time along, so I pray to the Forgotten Gods that Brandon will find some way to make her less grating before he -- hopefully -- impales her. Don't get me wrong, it's not a badly-constructed character or anything, but I tend to sigh when I come upon one of her chapters. I think she'd be a perfect candidate for shock factor; have her suddenly run out of stormlight in the middle of a battle and let a random peasant get a good swipe.

For what it's worth, I was indifferent to (though not really annoyed by) Lift until I retroactively read Edgedancer, and now I think she's cool. Even if you don't end up liking Edgedancer, though, Brandon has said that Lift will be "less teenagery" by the time she's a major character, so you might find her less annoying then.

On 1/4/2019 at 3:16 PM, Severian4Scadrial said:

I'd also like Lift gone. I confess I haven't read Edgedancer, but thus far she's a dreadfully annoying character, and between volumes I've honestly forgotten a great deal about her storyline.

Ya I'm with ya. Thus far I've groaned every time I have to read Lift's POV - just find her incredibly irritating.

1 minute ago, Razrback16 said:

Ya I'm with ya. Thus far I've groaned every time I have to read Lift's POV - just find her incredibly irritating.

I don't mind her but her insistence that her Spren is a voidbringer and referring to her powers as awesomeness gets a bit repetitive but i guess she is a kid and that is what kids do

4 minutes ago, Eris said:

I don't mind her but her insistence that her Spren is a voidbringer and referring to her powers as awesomeness gets a bit repetitive but i guess she is a kid and that is what kids do

Eh, I've seen better written kids. What's interesting to me is that, for a while, Lift actively resists growing up. Thirteen isn't all that young, but Lift is afraid of moral agency, so she deliberately acts younger than she is. I'd wager that her refusal to listen to Wyndle -- her insistence on calling him a Voidbringer -- is part of her "playing" the role of child.

1 minute ago, Joy said:

Eh, I've seen better written kids. What's interesting to me is that, for a while, Lift actively resists growing up. Thirteen isn't all that young, but Lift is afraid of moral agency, so she deliberately acts younger than she is. I'd wager that her refusal to listen to Wyndle -- her insistence on calling him a Voidbringer -- is part of her "playing" the role of child.

I wasn't arguing that isn't how you write kids, I just saying that is how kids act which makes sense why she is annoying. If anything I agree with you... (the tables have turned (referring to other post)) 

19 minutes ago, Eris said:

I'm hoping what Joy said above comes about and Lift becomes more mature and fun to read.

I'd say Lift is likely to gain maturity. But in order to get it she has things to work through. Trauma related to her view on her age. (Which is a symptom of this trauma.) She'll probably get quite a bit of it all at once or in a very short sequence of time.

I want to see Adolin forced to say his Edgedancer Oaths in an attempt to save Shallan, only to see her torn apart by either a possessed chasmfiend, a thunderclast, or bunch of Fused. Another suitable death for that annoyance of a character is to have her lanced like the boil she is by Kaladin or Jasnah when Shallan either turns evil or goes so crazy she become a danger to the rest of Team Radiant.

I want to see the Vorin Church torn apart from the inside. I think they are as bad, if not worse, than the Diagram and most likely working for Odium. I would like to see a Dawnshard activate at their headquarters and wipe it off the face of Roshar. What they did to Dalinar and Navani is unacceptable.

I want to see at least a few more of the heralds get the ax (writer sharpens the Aluminum and Silver plated battle ax he keeps for killing cognitive critters). Nale, the Elsecaller lady, and the bondsmith guy need to be eliminated before they cause any more trouble.

Renarian. He needs to go. I find his character very annoying and while his powers are slightly useful, there has got to be a greater reason for which corrupted spren and radiants where killed.

I now hand off the ax of unnecessarily harsh judgement to the next player.

Balat...

Aside from being completely useless, he is a complete Crem Container to animals... Also, I would really like it to happen without fanfare or notoriety. A chicken bone at dinner or an unfortunate landing after a stumble.

Everyone else I can think of still has an interesting story to progress through.

I would love to see Taravangian die. It would be bitter-sweet because he is a really cool concept and great execution, no pun intended.

Also I want to see Nan Balat die. Like really... really badly. I HATE him. He deserves everything he got and then some.

I wouldn't mind seeing Taravangians Dustbringer die, but I am hesitant to judge until we see more about them.

Anyone on Scadrial working for Trell. 

And lastly, Mraize gives me the creeps, but I am really interested in him.

Of course, I would like for all the baddies to die (Moash/ Nale/ Odium) because the point of an ideal ending is the reader's redemption; the good to prevail, the evil to be vanquished.

But the interesting part is of the question is 'who is likely to die?'. So, regardless of personal preference, my answer would be Dalinar, because 1. he is way too powerful with Honor's Perpendicularity at this point, 2. he is Odium's first target and 3. there is the well-used trope of 'the older generation dies for the young ones to take up their place' (Add that to the fact that there is an in-book decade gap between book 5 and book 6 planned, if there is one person that's going to be killed by age math before the second pentalogy, that's Dalinar)

Dalinar is next Holder of Honor most likely, age wouldn't matter for him anymore as he will be immortal. I don't expect him to die because given trope exist somewhere. 

Whom I want to die? Honestly, I don't know. I am not a great fan of many main characters in SA (yeah...), Shallan, Adolin, ect but it doesn't necessarily mean I want them dead. So I will go with the antagonists. Taravangian. He went too far. Also Nale.

11 hours ago, Gasper said:

I want to see Adolin forced to say his Edgedancer Oaths in an attempt to save Shallan, only to see her torn apart by either a possessed chasmfiend, a thunderclast, or bunch of Fused. Another suitable death for that annoyance of a character is to have her lanced like the boil she is by Kaladin or Jasnah when Shallan either turns evil or goes so crazy she become a danger to the rest of Team Radiant.

> Killing Shallan 

I am fire. You are stick. Now burn, you filthy murderer. 

No seriously, though, if one of them has to die, it's Adolin. 

On 1/5/2019 at 9:46 AM, Chiri-Chiri said:

I hope for Moash a great arc of redemption, maybe I'm a bit naive, but I think that at the last moment He is going to do the right thing, kind of "Marsh style" :lol: Deep, very very deep inside he is not so wicked.

Vin shows up out of nowhere, rams a couple spikes through his eyes, and says: 

"Now go kill that motherstormer Taravangian." 

She then kicks Lift's chull in a duel to the death, mic-drops a horseshoe, and fizzles into heavenly nothingness to spend the rest of her days dancing with Elend. 

_____

Edit: Ok I love how this site turns swears into "storms" and "chull." I feel like a proper Rosharian now. 

Though I must say, a Mistborn movie directed by Quentin Tarantino would be pretty Storming Awesome. 

We Skaa can't post links, but I've always imagined Vin's takedown of Shan Elarial like the Bride's fight with O-Ren. 

Atium shadows spring out in a hundred different directions. Record scratching sound, then pore shot of both characters looking vaguely nervous: Santa Esmeralda's "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" blares.

"Silly Skaa girl likes to play with Metals."

10 hours ago, Gasper said:

Renarian. He needs to go. I find his character very annoying and while his powers are slightly useful, there has got to be a greater reason for which corrupted spren and radiants where killed.

Sadly for you, you're going to have to deal with Renarin related stuff for a while yet, since his book is book 7.

On 1/5/2019 at 10:46 AM, Chiri-Chiri said:

Shallan would be nice, she's exasperatingly boring. <_<

I hope for Moash a great arc of redemption, maybe I'm a bit naive, but I think that at the last moment He is going to do the right thing, kind of "Marsh style" :lol: Deep, very very deep inside he is not so wicked.

Marsh was a good guy who fought back from the start. Moash is already way past the point of “I was secretly good all along”. He’s probably going to end up as Odium’s champion which means he also has to die at some point. I think his story will be an anti redemption one. Instead of someone who followed the wrong path coming back to the light, we will have a guy who was never really that great to begin with sinking deeper and deeper into evil.

TLDR: don’t put your Moash on my Marsh :P

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

6 hours ago, Invocation said:

Sadly for you, you're going to have to deal with Renarin related stuff for a while yet, since his book is book 7.

Just because they have a book set later does not mean that my personal least favorite of the Kholins won't get vaporized by a Division fused, crushed by a highstorm, or skewered by an evil Shallan.

2 minutes ago, Gasper said:

Just because they have a book set later does not mean that my personal least favorite of the Kholins won't get vaporized by a Division fused, crushed by a highstorm, or skewered by an evil Shallan.

Renarin is an important character as stated by Sanderson somewhere... but he might die afterwards ;-;

Please don't wish such a violent death on the precious child, he has done nothing to deserve it ;-; 

20 minutes ago, Gasper said:

I honestly don’t understand why you hate Renarin so much. What’s so bad about him?