Scintil

Question

18 answers to this question

So the way that compounding works is that the power of Preservation is drawn through the burning of the metal to power the Feruchemcy.

The actual Allomantic ability doesn't really matter, you just have to have the shared metal. Therefore, just lots of heat.

I'm probably not the smartest guy on the forums to answer this question but that's how I see it.

Try this for more info!

Edited by The Forumlurker

As @The Forumlurker said, the Allomantic ability is overwritten by the Feruchemical one. So when you burn your own brass metalmind, you get a ton of heat (which you can store in a separate metalmind, that you tap as needed). TLR stayed alive for a thousand years because he stored youth in atiumminds, then burned them to release a compounded amount of youth, which he then stored in more atium, and tapped.

Yeah, what @The Forumlurker said.  Compounding gives you a virtually unlimited amount of the Feruchemical attribute, not the Allomantic ability.  So you'd never be cold again - not a very interesting Compounding combination.  

See the Coppermind article for more in-depth explanation: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Compounding.  

2 minutes ago, Scion of the Mists said:

So you'd never be cold again - not a very interesting Compounding combination.  

You could make explosions of heat to decimate the surrounding area! What do you mean not interesting :angry:

No upvotes for you good sir! NONE!

Upvotes

I think when you increase a Feruchemical attribute you gain a proportional "protection"

That's why when tapping speed you don't kill yourself running into a wall or why when increasing weight you don't crush yourself. Speed gives you the necessary mental speed too and the weight gives you some strength

So would warmth give you some fireproofness?

6 minutes ago, The Forumlurker said:

You could make explosions of heat to decimate the surrounding area! What do you mean not interesting :angry:

No upvotes for you good sir! NONE!

You'd also burn yourself up.  Tapping Feruchemical storage does grant you some level of resistance, but it's not absolute (e.g. Steelrunners can't go too fast due to friction).  That's why I think it'd really only be useful for low-levels of heat tapping.  

Well, I guess you could use it for a massive incineration.  Once...

Got it...Full Feruchemists though, a bit of gold and steel storing you have Obliteration from Firefight!

Are you sure? I’m almost certain we haven’t seen this on screen.

WOB's I think

Yeah, it's WoBs. A whole lot of people have asked about Steelrunning.  

Questioner (paraphrased)

My friend wants to know how fast steel Compounders could possibly go, can they run up walls or over water like the Flash?

Blightsong (paraphrased)

*jokingly* Can they run through time?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Steelrunners can resist a lot things due to the power, like they can withstand the Gs they are out through, but they can't ignore wind resistance and friction. They will burn up if they start running too quickly.

source  

Steel and Iron both show an insane level of self protection from Feruchemy. I'm damnation certain that you could tap to the point of severely injuring people you touch. 

The main problem I see is that when you stop your metalminds are going to severely burn you. 

On 1/4/2019 at 10:27 AM, Scion of the Mists said:

You'd also burn yourself up.  Tapping Feruchemical storage does grant you some level of resistance, but it's not absolute (e.g. Steelrunners can't go too fast due to friction).  That's why I think it'd really only be useful for low-levels of heat tapping.  

Well, I guess you could use it for a massive incineration.  Once...

We're really not sure at what point this would become dangerous.  If a brass compounder was able to burn without dying, the possibilities are pretty cool.  For era 3, can you imagine the useful applications of a brass compounder in industry?  Forget fossil fuels, just hire this gal for 8 hours a day to power your furnaces.  She clocks in, says hi to her buddies on the assembly line, steps into an unlit furnace, lights up to 2000 degrees for eight hours, slowly cools down, then clocks out and goes home to dinner with the family.  Having someone who can be an almost unlimited source of heat would be an amazing technological advantage.

14 hours ago, Solomonster said:

We're really not sure at what point this would become dangerous.  If a brass compounder was able to burn without dying, the possibilities are pretty cool.  For era 3, can you imagine the useful applications of a brass compounder in industry?  Forget fossil fuels, just hire this gal for 8 hours a day to power your furnaces.  She clocks in, says hi to her buddies on the assembly line, steps into an unlit furnace, lights up to 2000 degrees for eight hours, slowly cools down, then clocks out and goes home to dinner with the family.  Having someone who can be an almost unlimited source of heat would be an amazing technological advantage.

That's true, depending on where the threshold is, you can get a lot of free energy out of it (just like you can from most magics).  

In this particular instance, I think the compounder would probably suffocate from lack of oxygen (something that brass compounding would not protect you against).  

Probably combustion is cheaper than generate Heat with Compounding... Compounding heat is nice only for portability reasons. I doubt any industrial process will use it for actual replacement og old fashion combustion (or other source of energy)