Favourite Knights Radiant Order

Eris

Hey guys,

Since there is so many new people, including myself, I am curious to know what everyone's favourite Knights Radiant order, at least from the information you have on them. 

I'll start off, I'd have to say I would like Truthwatcher if I knew more (I'm loving the combination of the surges of illumination and progression), so I'd have to say Edgedancer because I think it will be so cool to just slip and slide around the place and heal some poor soul every once and awhile. 

I don't really have a favourite order so far.

I could say Windrunner, but that's mostly biased since that's the order we know most about and it's Kaladin's order which makes it the best anyway. Flying is also quite cool.
But I also like Edgedancers a lot and frankly, I need more of the others to really form an opinion. Like how their Surges work (I want more basic Surgebinding info o.o), how they organize etc.

What I definitely know is that Lightweavers aren't my favourites. I'm not a fan of illusions. Truthwatchers have healing powers which makes up for the Lightweaving.
Same goes for Skybreakers; I reeeaaally am not a fan of "yay the L - A - W above all else!!!"

Having a tough time picking just “favourite” so I broke it down a bit. :) 

The Order I Most Want to Be: Windrunner is up there.(bad pun) I’m 35 now but since I was 14ish I’ve been able to fly in 99% of my dreams. It’s also one of the first things I do when I start to go lucid in my dreaming. Flying in a lucid dream is on par with great sex in my not-so-humble opinion. Leading however is much less my forte. I hate supervising/managing. I’m not sure about Adhesion yet either.

The Order I am Most Like: Lightweaver characteristics are the closest  to my own real world talents and personality. I’d approach it quite a bit differently than Shallan does though. But given the choice I wouldn’t choose them. That being said I like their less than stringent Ideals and naturally am inclined to their truth/lie mechanics.

The Order I Most Want to Learn About: Dustbringers. Not Malata specifically but the Order itself. I think they offer a lot of depth and moral confusion; they will make for really interesting discoveries, plots, and stories. More so than any other Order as they seem the closest to “ends justify the means” which for me has always been a fascinating subject.

The Order I Most Want to Take out for a Beer: Stonewards. Something tells me those guys know how to party. Frontline troops usually have a great take on life and experience. 

7 minutes ago, Dalakaar said:

Having a tough time picking just “favourite” so I broke it down a bit. :) 

The Order I Most Want to Be: Windrunner is up there.(bad pun) I’m 35 now but since I was 14ish I’ve been able to fly in 99% of my dreams. It’s also one of the first things I do when I start to go lucid in my dreaming. Flying in a lucid dream is on par with great sex in my not-so-humble opinion. Leading however is much less my forte. I hate supervising/managing. I’m not sure about Adhesion yet either.

The Order I am Most Like: Lightweaver characteristics are the closest  to my own real world talents and personality. I’d approach it quite a bit differently than Shallan does though. But given the choice I wouldn’t choose them. That being said I like their less than stringent Ideals and naturally am inclined to their truth/lie mechanics.

The Order I Most Want to Learn About: Dustbringers. Not Malata specifically but the Order itself. I think they offer a lot of depth and moral confusion; they will make for really interesting discoveries, plots, and stories. More so than any other Order as they seem the closest to “ends justify the means” which for me has always been a fascinating subject.

The Order I Most Want to Take out for a Beer: Stonewards. Something tells me those guys know how to party. Frontline troops usually have a great take on life and experience. 

I too would take a stoneward out to drink but they won't give up so they'll drink me out of house and home but that is a pretty cool list!

15 minutes ago, Eris said:

That's a pretty unique one! I don't see much of the potentional of an elsecallers surge but you do so it makes so much sense that you like that order

Of transportation or transformation? I'll gladly explain.

14 minutes ago, Zurvanite said:

I like Edgedancers. It's funny how they were considered the most graceful and refined of all the orders and the first one we meet is a street urchin who steals breakfast and likes to talk about butts.

Just shows. You can subvert someone’s perception

2 hours ago, Eris said:

Both, enlighten me. Fill me with knowledge

So Transportation:
I love the thought that you can enter the ognitive realm and travel there. Worldhopping is a nice addition, but just think about the perks that realm has. E.g. in Shadesmar you can also detect investiture as it glows (unless you actively try to hide it of course). Then you can visit the spren and world hopping in a nice additon too.

Transformation:
That one I like even more. Basically you can transform anything in whatever you wish it to be. In a crisis that could be food or water. Gold or Gemstones for money, or if something breaks, you could repair it again. There are so many possibilies here, for earnest uses and for jokes, too.

I'd definitly love to be an elsecaller ;)

Unpopular opinion: Skybreakers 

For those of you that are disgusted by that statement, hear me out. The idea of the Skybreakers is that people change their morality to fit their needs, and thus the only way to be sure you're doing what's right is to follow a predefined code. Yes, many of the Skybreakers interpret this to be doing what is lawful. However, as we've seen with Szeth, that isn't always the case. To be a Skybreaker is to acknowledge that you aren't always moral and you don't always have the wisdom to determine what is right, and so you look to something with better judgement than yourself for guidance.

I personally am not always convinced the law is correct, it is made by humans after all. But, I do believe in people have personal moral codes that they shouldn't deviate from as well as a universal idea of good. The reason I love the Skybreakers is because they avert the very common trope in fiction of "just listen to your heart." I know I'm not alone in having a heart that is selfish, deceitful, and often petty. To be a Skybreaker is to know your moral flaws and trappings, and vow to improve both yourself and the world around you in spite of them.

Reading everyone’s favourite orders is so fascinating. Seeing people being able to distinguish the order they want to be in vs the one they actually are is cool to see. With elsecallers and sky breakers I’m seeing a different side to those orders that I would not have noticed without people being interested in them 

I love Truthwatchers! Their healing and illumination surges are the ones that I most want, and I also love how their spren look (they have those light reflection/comet ones). Plus,

Venli I think is kinda one and so is Renarin, and I really like both of those characters.

Willshapers. Not much on cohesion yet but from what they say about them in WoR I think it's the one I fit the most on (good things and bad things), and the radiant test some kind person made, agrees.

And I love the adventure/novelty thing. I can totally see them ignoring the war because they're too busy exploring a new and strange place... not that that's a good thing but it appeals to me for some reason... (maybe that's where the unreliable and capricious thing comes into play).

Edited by Eluvianii

On 1/4/2019 at 7:56 AM, Sorana said:

So Transportation:
I love the thought that you can enter the ognitive realm and travel there. Worldhopping is a nice addition, but just think about the perks that realm has. E.g. in Shadesmar you can also detect investiture as it glows (unless you actively try to hide it of course). Then you can visit the spren and world hopping in a nice additon too.

Transformation:
That one I like even more. Basically you can transform anything in whatever you wish it to be. In a crisis that could be food or water. Gold or Gemstones for money, or if something breaks, you could repair it again. There are so many possibilies here, for earnest uses and for jokes, too.

I'd definitly love to be an elsecaller ;)

This, plus you can combine the two (i.e when Jasnah transported her Crystal transformation through Amarams ranks. 

My favorite order so far is Truthwatchers, but I fit into either Skybreakers or Elsecallers. I could probably pull off saying the oaths to both orders and still manage them. And to the Edgedancers. Since we don't know the Elsecallers oaths yet I'll just say I can probably honor my oaths to the Skybreakers and Edgedancers without any confliction.